Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of James Bond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Battlestar Galactica did it with Starbuck and Boomer and it worked just fine. (Waiting for reasons why that’s COMPLETELY different).

'Battlestar Galactica' was an update to a 70's TV show nobody but a few old geeks remembered or gave a shit about. It's not remotely the same thing. Most of its audience probably weren't even aware of the original show and another chunk hadn't even seen it since they were children.

Bond is an ongoing series of films that sticks to a specific formula (a sucessful formula) that spans decades, with an audience that dwarfs BSG and expects certain things to be in place.

You mess with that at great risk.
    It’s only a problem if you need it to be. I get the impression that lots of people need it to be a problem as they feel they need evidence for their feeling that men are under attack.

That's just the limits of your own understanding at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Change of a franchise is risky. Let's say we got these series:

Dirty Hillary: a cop film featuring an unorthodox female cop (Trump would love it!).
    Mad Martha: Cop Martha Rockatansky loses her husband and child and goes out into the wasteland to fight bikers.
    Dallas: featuring Jennifer Ross Ewing, a ruthless businesswoman up against her enemy Celine Barnes.
    Some superhero flicks: Wonderman, Batwoman, Superwoman, Ironwoman, Spiderwoman.
    Love/Hate, a series featuring the adventures of female drug dealers Nigella Delaney and Frances Cooney.
    And finally: Jane Bond, featuring a female secret agent up against Emma Stavro Blofeld, head of SPECTRE. Other enemies he has are Audrey Goldfinger, Mary Zorin, Helen Drax, Emily Largo and Elaine Carver.

Could they work? !!!

In many cases, they probably could. They just wouldn't be called the same thing.

As for Batwoman, she exists in comic form and nobody minded.

The trick being is that she was a new character (albeit a riff on Batman). It wasn't just Brucina Wayne. An all of a sudden sex switcheroo. Like Batgirl, it works, and people are receptive to it.

Supergirl and Spiderwoman exist too and have their fanbase, the vast majority of whom are men.

It's simply not a question of "men being afraid", which is a dumb angle, it's the fact that people generally dislike their favorite characters getting a sex change or blackfaced for no reason other than to salve a petty and quite insignificant political want from a small fraction of people.

As I said before, if filmmakers want to create a new female or black spy series along the lines of James Bond, they should do so. It'll live or die on how good it is.

It just shouldn't be James Bond. A character already firmly established in the minds of his audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Danny Boyle confirmed he is working on the new script and filming starts later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Danny boyle is quite a lefty wonder if he include his politics into a film about british intelligence actions around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I wonder if the villain will be someone who plays snooker, and goes crazy if he's interrupted mid-game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Begbie had already been in a Bond film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting choice and a brave one (or foolish maybe!). Should freshen things up even if it's still the same actor. Indeed maybe they should have been brave and gone for a new face for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

At least Boyle should bring a bit life to the franchise after Mendes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

At least there appears to be a new Cold War starting up now, so they'll have good reason to revisit British/Russian spying!

It would've been nice to see Boyle get a new Bond as well Daniel Craig has had his run and storyline told in full for me a new reboot under Boyle would be a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It would've been nice to see Boyle get a new Bond as well Daniel Craig has had his run and storyline told in full for me a new reboot under Boyle would be a good place to start.

I doubt Boyle will do more than one movie, so I'm not sure that it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is where Bond has gone a bit wrong, they used to have regulars (even if there were time gaps) who understood what they were doing and how to achieve "Bondness" esp if had been part of the production before taking the directors reigns. Now it's just something directors tick off for their CV and their Bondness is essentially a homage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Danny boyle is quite a lefty wonder if he include his politics into a film about british intelligence actions around the world

The Bond films it can be argued have been more sympathetic to leftwing and centre politics than rightwing since at least the 1970s. The Bond villains by their very nature are extreme greedy capitalists often friendly with the West's governments. Bond is often told to go after the likes of Drax and Zorin discretely.

Earlier films had an anti-[Mao-era] China thread in them but that was definitely gone by Diamonds Are Forever where Blofeld was shown as a common enemy to the West, Russia and China alike.

Craig's films have explored the greed of Western private enterprise and its influence on governments. So, Danny Boyle's film will probably just continue that. So not anything radically different. Bond is and always has been the enemy of extreme capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It now appears to be confirmed that Daniel Craig is to return for a fifth Bond film, with Danny Boyle directing. Independent report here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope Craig is at least a professional about this; by all accounts he seems to have mentally checked himself out of the role, a huge pay-cheque obviously persuading him to return. Hardly a guarantee of a stellar performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yeah, the cutting wrists comment a while back doesn't fill one with confidence. MGM might have sent a dump truck full of cash to him to change his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was hoping for a new Bond, I think Craigs story as Bond has been told at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I thought Spectre was closing of his story (which I felt had a poor ending).
    It would have been the right time to change it up.

Boyle's a good director, should at least be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought Spectre was closing of his story (which I felt had a poor ending).
    It would have been the right time to change it up.

Ya, that was my take on it too, his soundbites about coming back didnt exactly fill any one with confidence either.

Its a franchise that will make money regardless of the lead but I think it was about time they changed it up, by the time the next one comes out it will have been about 13 years since Craig took over as 007 and I dont think time has been particularly kind to Craig but he'd have some way before catching up to Moore who was what, nearly 60 in his last Bond appearance?
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Boyle's a good director, should at least be interesting.

Thats probably the best news about the project so far.

At the moment I'd reckon Mission Impossible is probably a better franchise than it and Bourne, well the 4 Damon/Greengrass films, are better than it also, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm sure there is already a thread about this but I can't find it. (Didn't try too hard) I was looking at the betting on paddy power and was suprised to see Cillian Murphy at 3/1. He is a great actor but I just can't see him as Bond. Tom Hardy is favourite at 9/4. I'm tempted to have a bet on Idris Elba at 8/1. What do ye reckon film buffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I hope it won't be Tom hardy.hes doing great work without that tripe.i think its a dying horse imo.

I agree. I thought Daniel Cregg wasn decent in the role but it's in danger of becoming a parody of itself at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Yester wrote: »
    I agree. I thought Daniel Cregg wasn decent in the role but it's in danger of becoming a parody of itself at this stage.

That's been and gone with Roger Moore and his autonomous eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

How about Charlize Theron... Jane Blond...

Jamie Clayton

Yester wrote: »
    I'm tempted to have a bet on Idris Elba at 8/1. What do ye reckon film buffs?

don't waste your cash - Elba's too old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

A very long shot:

Nicholas Pinnock

Was in Marcella and Fortitude. Good actor and looks great in a suit.

Advertisement