Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of James Bond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

RVD420 wrote: »
    Has April Fools Day come early?! Harry Styles as James Bond. Who'll be cast as the villain - Justin Bieber?!

It probably won't happen. But if this did happen, next thing you'd have Niall Horan as Indiana Jones, Ronan Keating as Mad Max, Nicky Byrne as Batman and Justin Bieber as Dirty Harry!! Well, that's 5 great franchises ruined!

Agricola wrote: »
    Not a hope would they cast him. He's too young and too boyish and slight. Hardy would be a great choice. Has that simmering lunatic vibe, would bring tons of physicality which is the name of the game for modern Bond and he could definitely carry a film.

I agree with this 100%. Harry Styles would not be a proper Bond. I feel it would be too boyish (or should I say boybandish) and hard to take seriously. Tom Hardy would be an ideal Bond and would be ideal for a troubled, revenge focused Bond. He was excellent as Bane, Mad Max, the Krays, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I agree with this 100%. Harry Styles would not be a proper Bond. I feel it would be too boyish (or should I say boybandish) and hard to take seriously. Tom Hardy would be an ideal Bond and would be ideal for a troubled, revenge focused Bond. He was excellent as Bane, Mad Max, the Krays, and so on.

I really doubt it will be Hardy - he's too high profile, and they never hire existing movie stars for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

It probably won't happen. But if this did happen, next thing you'd have Niall Horan as Indiana Jones, Ronan Keating as Mad Max, Nicky Byrne as Batman and Justin Bieber as Dirty Harry!! Well, that's 5 great franchises ruined!

Keating was a script consultant for Fury Road iirc and was instrumental in advising Tom Hardy about how to portray the Max character particularly regarding his clipped terseness.

"Tom, you shay it besht....when shay nothing at all."

(may not be true)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

James Bond Junior live action.

Would be worth it for the theme tune.

James Bond Jr. chases scum
    (James Bond Jr. chases scuuummm)
    Around the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Idris Elba could make an interesting Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chris Vance would be my wildcard to be the next Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Charlize Theron would make a magnificent Bond, ala her character in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Superb actress as well, light-years ahead of the likes of Harry Styles and even Tom Hardy.

It is amazing that Bond was never set in Australia or New Zealand.

Christopher Nolan has ruled himself out of directing Bond 25 while on Desert Island Discs.
    "No, categorically."

He added: I think every time they hire a new director I'm rumoured to be doing it.

He did say he would like to direct one someday.
    I'd love to make a Bond film at some point and I think those producers – Barbara and Michael – they do a tremendous job and Sam Mendes has done a terrific job the last couple of films, so they don't particularly need me,

But I've always been inspired by the films and would love to do one someday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And Jedward as the Krays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

If Nolan ever directs a Bond film it will likely be a reboot after craig has left the role.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    If Nolan ever directs a Bond film it will likely be a reboot after craig has left the role.

I would like to see what he could do with Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It is amazing that Bond was never set in Australia or New Zealand.

It is indeed. Especially given the scenery and landscape in NZ that it has never even been used as a shooting location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

RVD420 wrote:
    Idris Elba could make an interesting Bond.

I hate this kinda stuff where everyone is trying to make bond black or a woman. I mean ffs why not just make bond an Asian lesbian and get it over with. James Bond is a heterosexual white male who's weakness is women. Why are we messing with every franchise to appease this ridiculous millennial feminist world we live in. First hey screw up ghost busters and now we are talking about screwing up bond. Ian Fleming would turn in his grave with the crap people want to do to his character.

He is a brilliant actor but I hope Elba never becomes bond.

It is indeed. Especially given the scenery and landscape in NZ that it has never even been used as a shooting location.

+1. I think both countries could offer some interesting locations for Bond. The landscape in NZ would be perfect for some of the main stunts.

More often than not, Bond keeps returning to the same places. How many times was he in Venice at this stage? He has been in virtually every Western, Central and Southern European country either on location or set in at this stage. With one or two exceptions including here. Bond also has been more or less in every part of the USA too. Here are some places I'd like to see Bond visit now (or in the cases of some, in the future):

Australia
    New Zealand
    Argentina
    Ireland
    Iran
    South Africa
    Other parts of Sub Saharan Africa
    Singapore
    Malaysia
    Indonesia
    Papua New Guinea
    Fiji/other Pacific nations

Mr.H wrote: »
    I hate this kinda stuff where everyone is trying to make bond black or a woman. I mean ffs why not just make bond an Asian lesbian and get it over with. James Bond is a heterosexual white male who's weakness is women. Why are we messing with every franchise to appease this ridiculous millennial feminist world we live in. First hey screw up ghost busters and now we are talking about screwing up bond. Ian Fleming would turn in his grave with the crap people want to do to his character.

I feel that changing franchises radically can be risky. Whatever about the debate over a black Bond and Idris Elba, it would be definitely a step too far to make Bond a woman or gay or transgender. Nothing wrong though with a similar franchise catering for a Bond type film with such characters.

Ian Fleming's characters should be respected. Update them yes but keep them faithful to their origins. One of my main problems with SPECTRE (which I like overall by the way) was the way they changed Blofeld's character. Here, they put 2 Fleming characters together that were never intended to be the same. Blofeld was one of Fleming's iconic villains and should have been revived as Fleming had imagined him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they can have a female "bond" but just don't call her 007 and where some recent films go wrong is writing female characters as if they could be played by males

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I would definitely pay money to go see a bond-like movie with an Asian lesbian protagonist. It'd have to be a good bit better than most recent bond movies though.

I think Fleming disliked the bond movies anyways for making people actually like bond instead of thinking him as a ruthless professional killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I hate this kinda stuff where everyone is trying to make bond black or a woman.
    I'd like to see him become Bond, as he's an excellent actor who'd be great in the role.
    His skin colour doesn't even come into the equation for me, just his ability.

• Advertisement

MGM are looking at Danny Boyle to direct.

I'd uiet like to see a Danny Boyle Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MGM are looking at Danny Boyle to direct.

I'd uiet like to see a Danny Boyle Bond.

Choose life,
    Choose shaken, not stirred,
    Choose a safari suit or a tux,
    Choose a car that's also a submarine

etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

silverharp wrote: »
    they can have a female "bond" but just don't call her 007 and where some recent films go wrong is writing female characters as if they could be played by males

A woman bond is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

A woman bond is a terrible idea.
    The hostility toward the idea of a woman playing James Bond seems wholly disproportionate to any necessity for Bond to be played by a man.

What is so sacred about James Bond being played by a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The hostility toward the idea of a woman playing James Bond seems wholly disproportionate to any necessity for Bond to be played by a man.

Having a female play bond is a totally nonsensical idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Because the character is a British man.
    It's silly to change things just for the point of changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

He's Bond. James Bond.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm fully aware what I'm about to post may sound like 'I'm not racist but ...", here goes anyway.

I'm usually very open to these kinds of things, I can't wait for the new Doctor Who and I actually enjoyed the new Ghostbusters; they've established that the Doctor can regenerate into different sexes and there's absolutely zero reason why women can't bust ghosts but I feel there is something intrinsically male about Bond in that he's a misogynistic pig. If you're going to use him to bolster feminism in Hollywood one of the best ways is to have other characters challenge him on the way he treats women. You can't dilute it because that lessens his cold, heartless nature. James Bond is an outdated character, I'd rather they kill him off than do a gender swap. That said I don't have any problem changing his ethnicity so long as he remains British. The obvious solution (in my eyes) is to make it a 007 franchise, kill off Bond and have a film follow the different agents to take on the 007 mantle.

I feel equivalent franchises are the way to go. Someone like Charlize Theron could very well do a great Bond-like film called something else. Like in the superhero arena, you have Batman and Wonder Woman for example. Doctor Who can work as a man or woman as can Ghostbusters. Gender was never strictly laid down. Other characters like Bond are so iconic as who they are any changes will alienate people.

Pairing Bond with a Bond girl who is equal to him and gets equal share of the action would be good. It was attempted with Jinx in Die Another Day but invisible cars, etc. marred this outing. Teaming Tom Hardy's Mad Max up with Charlize Theron's Furiosa and making them equal worked out excellent. Could something similar be done with Bond? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Most people aren't objectionable to the idea of a female spy/hero. They just object when it's tacked onto an already established character. Bond may have been played by seven different actors, but there are definite throughlines in all of their tenures and they're pretty much what Bond was written as by Fleming.

If filmmakers want to try and make a female spy series, go for it. Or if they want a black spy film, starring Idris Elba...make it. He's a fine actor and I'd have no problem with him in a Jason Bourne type role, or whatever.

But, it just shouldn't be James Bond - a franchise I couldn't give a toss about, BTW.

Just make a new character. It'll thrive or fail on its own merits.

There's an absurdity in modern culture where everything that has been designed and has been successful as one thing has to be switched...and it makes no bloody sense at all. In the end, it just devalues the existent media. It's just unnecessary plunder of a tradable name/comodity dressed up as a "progressive" move.

Hollywood don't give a fuck about be progressing anything, except their profit. They certainly don't care about your sexual or racial politics, other than as a means to extract money from your pockets.

Advertisement