Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT TVs in Cork? Where to buy?

Options
  • 26-05-2016 6:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

My old CRT TV is dead and I want to replace it. I have searched adverts.ie and ebay but found nothing suitable. It's a hassle waiting around for something decent to show up, win the bid and then have to arrange collection and that. I want to avoid the frustration.

I would rather go into a shop and buy one. Do you know of any shops around Cork that still CRT TVs? I am thinking of the likes of cash converters, other second hand shops, charity shops etc.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd say you would be lucky to find anything decent of that vintage. Any particular reason you're sticking with CRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

mordeith wrote: »
    Any particular reason you're sticking with CRT?

He's a retro gamer - they like things to look the way they're supposed to look.
    Might also be a Smash Melee fan, they typically insist on CRTs because it requires much timing accuracy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My old CRT TV is dead and I want to replace it. I have searched adverts.ie and ebay but found nothing suitable. It's a hassle waiting around for something decent to show up, win the bid and then have to arrange collection and that. I want to avoid the frustration.

I would rather go into a shop and buy one. Do you now of any shops around Cork that still CRT TVs? I am thinking of the likes of cash converters, other second hand shops, charity shops etc.

Thanks for any help.

Try this place

http://infinitum.ie/infinitum/2

He had loads of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

mordeith wrote: »
    I'd say you would be lucky to find anything decent of that vintage. Any particular reason you're sticking with CRT?
    grindle wrote: »
    He's a retro gamer - they like things to look the way they're supposed to look.
    Might also be a Smash Melee fan, they typically insist on CRTs because it requires much timing accuracy.

Correct, for retro video game consoles. Don't ask me the technical reasons why, but the picture looks a lot better on a decent CRT.
    Try this place

http://infinitum.ie/infinitum/2

He has loads of them.

How did you come across this guy bud? Do you have an email address for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Have a look on adverts and done deal. Loads on there, free to pick up or very cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cash Convertors etc won't have taken in CRTs for years due to zero value; charity shops generally don't sell electronics. Adverts is basically it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Correct, for retro video game consoles. Don't ask me the technical reasons why, but the picture looks a lot better on a decent CRT.

How did you come across this guy bud? Do you have an email address for him?

I did a weeks work experience with him, I don't have his email I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

I would rather go into a shop and buy one. Do you know of any shops around Cork that still CRT TVs? I am thinking of the likes of cash converters, other second hand shops, charity shops etc.

Thanks for any help.
    What size screen do you want?

cml387 wrote: »
    What size screen do you want?

Not fussy. Around 21". Ideally looking for a Sony Trinitron but can't be too fussy I suppose with models. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭kooga

I may have access to a sanyo 21 inch
    I will check tonight and post back

• Advertisement

I was lucky with this and managed to get the model and size I wanted on adverts. My luck was in and it just happened to be the only one listed that I wanted or would have been desirable for myself at exactly the time I searched. BIt of a relief. :D

Advertisement