Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine wifi

Options
  • 26-05-2016 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anybody know if Imagine wifi is any good in rural areas, has anybody got it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I have it. It was one of the few options available where I live. It has worked fine since I got it installed about 3-4 years ago. The only annoyance id their "fair usage policy". But once you know of it and know how to work around it (run large downloads overnight) it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

Thank you for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am desperately hoping it comes to kiltullagh soon
    When the abbeyknockmoy last is operational in a few weeks I'll be within touching distance of their coverage but not close enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    I have it. It was one of the few options available where I live. It has worked fine since I got it installed about 3-4 years ago. The only annoyance id their "fair usage policy". But once you know of it and know how to work around it (run large downloads overnight) it's grand

Is it the WIMAX product you have for 3-4 years? They have only recently gone LIVE in Galway with their LTE product which on paper is much better. You will see lots of road signs advertising it in recent weeks. More info here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558377&page=30

leex wrote: »
    Is it the WIMAX product you have for 3-4 years? They have only recently gone LIVE in Galway with their LTE product which on paper is much better. You will see lots of road signs advertising it in recent weeks. More info here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558377&page=30

Yeah, it's just Wimax I have. I've seen the signs for the new service but haven't looked into it yet

• Advertisement

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Yeah, it's just Wimax I have. I've seen the signs for the new service but haven't looked into it yet

I got the new LTE system installed just this morning. Initial offpeak speed tests showing 50-60mbps. I was in 2.5mbps land for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

I got the new LTE system installed just this morning. Initial offpeak speed tests showing 50-60mbps. I was in 2.5mbps land for many years.

That's brillant speed. How much per month are u paying?

I just got a letter on Friday from Imagine saying they're discontinuing the Wimax service in my area and I need to upgrade to the new service :-(

That's brillant speed. How much per month are u paying?

59.99pm which includes calls. I need to port my landline number to it now and I'll be finishing paying line rental and DSL broadband so it should be almost cost neutral.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Have to say, it's a very appealing plan.

I'm currently looking into options for my Mam, and if she's insistent on keeping the landline she doesn't need, Imagine it will be.

She's not a big internet user, so if she's willing to part with her landline, the Three 3G dongle will do her grand and she'll save 30 a month on her current crap-speed Eir plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

59.99pm which includes calls. I need to port my landline number to it now and I'll be finishing paying line rental and DSL broadband so it should be almost cost neutral.

Hi Leex.

Took a look at your speedtest results. You seem to have experienced a bit of a drop off in speeds?
    I'm 12km North of Galway City by road - not sure as the crow flies how far from Tonabrokey i would be but i can pretty much see the light of the mast from my house.

Interested in getting the Imagine LTE and ditching my Eir broadband connection and phone line.

How have you been finding it over the past month or so that you've had it?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi Leex.

Took a look at your speedtest results. You seem to have experienced a bit of a drop off in speeds?
    I'm 12km North of Galway City by road - not sure as the crow flies how far from Tonabrokey i would be but i can pretty much see the light of the mast from my house.

Interested in getting the Imagine LTE and ditching my Eir broadband connection and phone line.

How have you been finding it over the past month or so that you've had it?

Slowing during peak time in recent weeks. Off peak times showing similar speeds to when I got connected. Imagine support tell me the peak time speed drop is because I am at the edge of coverage area. ???

It is still better than the 2.5mbps I was seeing on Eircom line so will stick it out for a while. I will try and update my speedtests with some more regular peak time results.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

My Imagine Wimax download speed is atrocious for the past few days, as little as 0.2 of a Mb, and I'm being charged for 'up to 10Mb'.

Link to my speedtests with some speeds taken during peak time last night and offpeak this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Link to my speedtests with some speeds taken during peak time last night and offpeak this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0
    In fairness - nothing shabby about those peak time speeds at all. Impressive. Do you use VOIP phone?

Mr Velo wrote: »
    In fairness - nothing shabby about those peak time speeds at all. Impressive. Do you use VOIP phone?

Those peak time speeds are fine once they stay around that level. As you can see from the speed history there were 2 serious dips last week. Hopefully it was just teething issues.

VOIP phone is working fine. I have my Eircom calls diverted to the supplied number on a temporary basis until I make a final decision on porting my number.

Advertisement