Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Layers pellets

• 26-05-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

I have a hen that is not eating layers pellets anymore. Is there an alternative to this I can get anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

what breed hen is she?
    how old?
    has she suddenly stopped eating pellets? How long has this being going on for?
    Is she spoiled by being given tasty household scraps, and isnt interested in pellets, waiting for the scraps? (Ive been there!!!)
    Have you changed brand of pellets lately? What has caused her to stop?

So you could put the pellets in a dish, pour hot water on, leave them to soak/soften and try her with that. While still tepid
    You could try MASH instead of pellets - bought from anyplace that sells pellets
    You could change brands of pellets - my lot totally prefer the FANCY FEED pellets over any other brand :eek:
    There is also the brand of SMALLHOLDER PELLETS that is very good quality

Have you checked her health-wise? Is she healthy/well/laying? Is she free-ranging?

More info is needed I guess. If she is literally eating nothing, you could give her a bit of mixed corn as a temporary stopgap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

aonb wrote: »
    what breed hen is she?
    how old?
    has she suddenly stopped eating pellets? How long has this being going on for?
    Is she spoiled by being given tasty household scraps, and isnt interested in pellets, waiting for the scraps? (Ive been there!!!)
    Have you changed brand of pellets lately? What has caused her to stop?

So you could put the pellets in a dish, pour hot water on, leave them to soak/soften and try her with that. While still tepid
    You could try MASH instead of pellets - bought from anyplace that sells pellets
    You could change brands of pellets - my lot totally prefer the FANCY FEED pellets over any other brand :eek:
    There is also the brand of SMALLHOLDER PELLETS that is very good quality

Have you checked her health-wise? Is she healthy/well/laying? Is she free-ranging?

More info is needed I guess. If she is literally eating nothing, you could give her a bit of mixed corn as a temporary stopgap

I couldn't tell you what breed she is. She has stopped laying a long time ago as she is quite old but there's no way I would put her down.
    I give her lettuce as a treat once a week, she eats that fine. I haven't changed the pellets. When it happened before I got this and her appetite seemed to recover. I ran out of it and I though she had recovered so I didn't give it to her anymore.
    I just bought more of it there now. I will try the mixed corn, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If shes elderly, is she well/healthy looking? Are her eyes/nares/breathing clear? Is there anything in her crop? Feel her crop for impaction (impacted) or sour crop (squishy/fluid filled) Check her beak - no damage? I love the old hens - my oldest died recently at age 11, Ive heard of 19 year olds! Is she being bulllied/kept away from the feeder? Could she have worms? Have you checked her for mites/fleas/lice - redmite would drain an elderly hen pretty quickly.I would give her some plain probiotic yogurt several times/day, and a tiny bit of scrambled egg every day, put some cider vinegar (mother) in her water. Has she access to grit.

Advertisement