Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier insurance

Options
  • 26-05-2016 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, i am struggling to get any company to give me a quote, I have for one from wrights in Wexford. I've tried loads, fbd, Richards, Liberty, axa, Wexford insurance and more with no luck?

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Better chance trying as many brokers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brian_ie

Ya I've tried 17 places now, both brokers and direct companies, lots saying that they have recently stopped for some reason.? I'm having a disaster trying to even find someone who does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PM user Cormie on here, he has his own courier / man-with-a-van business.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

brian_ie wrote: »
    Ya I've tried 17 places now, both brokers and direct companies, lots saying that they have recently stopped for some reason.? I'm having a disaster trying to even find someone who does it!

Try maybe asking a courier......

I have my Taxi insurance through McCarthy's

http://www.mig.ie/motor-insurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A lot of insurers are getting out of it.

Its high risk and performing poorly over all.

Tried mig, don't do it.. Anyone couriers I asked are with wrights, or have a policy with someone I've tried, who are no longer taking on new policies..

Cheers for help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try Crotty group in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Brian, I got your PM, I'm with one of the companies already mentioned above. My premium for the 5 years leading to 2015/2016 period was the same give or take a couple of quid, for the 2015/2016 period it more than doubled :mad: So maybe they've stopped taking on new business in this line of work?

I feel your pain, I was trying for ages until I found someone to quote me, and it's even worse for Furniture Removals, those who insured couriers wouldn't even quote me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

In the courier company I worked for,there was one van fully insured for hire and reward(muggins here) and all the other lads were window cleaners,gardeners etc.
    I had the same experience as Cormie,where my insurance went from 1,400 to 2,500 for no reason,and no one else would quote.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, only got one quote, for 4750... Disgusting price in my opinion

I'm also 29, on the road 12 years.. Not as if I'm a young lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've dealt with a lot of courier & haulage risks over the last number of years and its a very distressed section of the market.

A lot of it is clean and claims free but for haulage, invariably when there is an accident its going to be a bad one due to the fact HGV's are involved.

I'll give you an example.

Last year I wrote the renewal for a group scheme for a particular sub section of the courier market.

There were around 40 single owned vehicles.

In 2014 the premiums were written for about €850 per vehicle.

Based on the burning cost (how much the claims are going to come to based on what has been paid already and the number of vehicles) renewal in 2015 should have been around €1500 per unit.

We eventually settled on €1200 per vehicle so almost €50k premium written.

In the last 12 months a couple of the vehicles were involved in minor prangs for a couple of grand each however 3 of them were involved in relatively serious accidents - €20k+ between injury and vehicle damages - so for the €50k we took in last year we ended up paying out over €70k.

That was just a small number of vehicles none bigger than a transit.

If you take a couple of mid size haulage risks with artics and HGV's on them then you can see where the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If you got three refusals, could you then force a quote off somebody?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Brian, for that price, if you know anyone else doing it, you might be better off trying to get a fleet policy, in which you could also cover any private vehicles.

I'd say 95% of ads you see for man with a van/furniture removals are also going around insured as plumbers and the likes, then you have the lack of goods in transit, public liability etc to worry about too, and people think my prices are expensive because some lad with a beat up transit quoted them half the price.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leonard Cohen

I'm in the same struggle. My van insurance provider is not renewing in the removals sector and I can't find anyone. Can anyone generate any info on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

Any one got an idea of the cost to insure one Mercedes Sprinter with Open Driver 25+ with the likes of insuremyvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Would there be any legal requirements to have good in transit insured in ireland. Could you not insure your goods in transit with a uk company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

No restrictions, if you can get it and they are aware you are based in Ireland

Advertisement