Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charity/thrift shops in sligo!!

Options
  • 26-05-2016 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

i used to shop exclusively at tk maxx.

not a fan of regular clothes stores due to their layout.

but thrift stores are awesome!!

i spent 35 euro the other day, and basically got so much excellent gear, i can hardly believe it.

there's 3 on harmony hill.
    one by the taxi rank.

any others??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

plus, they're super easy to browse, cause they have everything on one rail, divided according to size, which is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Enable Ireland in the Wine St Carpark is excellent. Really good quality merchandise and great bargains to be had.
    i used to shop exclusively at tk maxx.

not a fan of regular clothes stores due to their layout.

but thrift stores are awesome!!

i spent 35 euro the other day, and basically got so much excellent gear, i can hardly believe it.

there's 3 on harmony hill.
    one by the taxi rank.

any others??

picked up 2 ace shirts in enable ireland just now.

theres another one 4 doors down.

gon' check it out on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Also one next to the Swagman and one opposite the city hall.

The cheapest one is the bargain basement up by Social Services but they are only open for a couple of hours a week and I'm not sure when.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Also one next to the Swagman and one opposite the city hall.

The cheapest one is the bargain basement up by Social Services but they are only open for a couple of hours a week and I'm not sure when.

One by the swagman really needs some tidying up.

What a mess.

I bought a tommy hilfigure t-shirt today in one of the thrift stores for.... 4 euro!!

Nicest t-shirt I ever owned.
    Best most diverse range of clothes I ever bought, and unbelievably cheap prices.

• Advertisement

My wardrobe... I can't hardly fit any more clothes into it.

If I had have bought these new, I would have spent hundreds of euro, and coming across gear this nice would have been a challenge in itself.

I'm wondering are thrift stores in Dublin as good/better?
    Or do we get the best of it being a smaller town with less buyers, as such...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

I used to spend too much money on clothes (not anymore) Often bought clothes from EJs and never wore them. Always ended up donating these clothes to charity shops. Sure there are more who were like the old me and not surprised to read the above.

Also, gave hundreds of mint condition books to charity shops through the years.

My wardrobe... I can't hardly fit any more clothes into it.

If I had have bought these new, I would have spent hundreds of euro, and coming across gear this nice would have been a challenge in itself.

I'm wondering are thrift stores in Dublin as good/better?
    Or do we get the best of it being a smaller town with less buyers, as such...?

There are some great charity shops in Ballina if you are ever there.

Also St. Vincent de Paul in Sligo have a half price sale on everything over 2 euro

Where is St Vincent's - and what are it's hours?
    Is it an actual store?
    Or like a basement or something...?

JTL wrote: »
    I used to spend too much money on clothes (not anymore) Often bought clothes from EJs and never wore them. Always ended up donating these clothes to charity shops. Sure there are more who were like the old me and not surprised to read the above.

Also, gave hundreds of mint condition books to charity shops through the years.

Well - I appreciate it.

Cause, guys like you, keep guys like me, looking spiffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanic

I love them mostly for books and also for yarn garments that I rip up to re-use :) I'm originally from up the top of Donegal near Malin and the charity shops up there basically throw bags full of stuff at you for a few euro, in comparison some of the Sligo prices are a tad extortionate but then you have to take into account building rent, supply and demand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanic

I love them mostly for books and also for yarn garments that I rip up to re-use :) I'm originally from up the top of Donegal near Malin and the charity shops up there basically throw bags full of stuff at you for a few euro, in comparison some of the Sligo prices are a tad extortionate but then you have to take into account building rent, supply and demand etc.

BTW another shop that wasn't mentioned was the Oxfam on Grattan Street, happy thrifting!

Shanic wrote: »

BTW another shop that wasn't mentioned was the Oxfam on Grattan Street, happy thrifting!

That's funny cause, apparently in Dublin, they're more expensive again - some apparently at least as much as brand new in shops.

The more populated/civilized the area, the higher the price goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

The thing to remember about shopping in charity shops is that the money they raise through their shops goes into providing much needed services for their charity. At the end of the day no matter what you're paying for an item it's an absolute bargain compared to what you would pay.
    Shanic wrote: »

Where is St Vincent's - and what are it's hours?
    Is it an actual store?
    Or like a basement or something...?

It's a shop up on Harmony Hill near the Thrift Shop.

Advertisement