Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Groupwork

Options
  • 26-05-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Got Multimedia as #1 on the CAO, just wondering what percentage of assignments are groupwork vs individual work, and then practical vs written/ theory. I've heard the course can be very practical, but a lot of it is groupwork. I'm not anti-social by any means I just much prefer doing individual work.

Also I know it's mostly a digital media course, but is there any amount of traditional media modules or coursework? 3D studio work, sketching, modelling, etc.

Sorry to make a new thread, lots of threads on this topic but most answers are kind of general and broad, just wondering if anyone had some more specific info on how the coursework is divided up.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I started this course in 2009, so im not up to date on it. But it has a lot of group work. Often we'd have a class each semester where the first assignment was individual, and the second group. Nearly every class had a group assignment. When we started in first year the groups were often picked for us, assuming we didn't know people, but later we would pick our own groups.

you can find all the information on the subjects currently taught on the website
    if you scroll down to the workload section you can sort of assess what the assignments will be. For example in the 'Introduction to Social Studies" module (that's one I took in my day) you can see the assignments are an essay, and a seminar presentation. If I assume that's stayed the same, the essay is individual, the presentation is divided among a group.

You might prefer doing individual work, but learning to organize in a group is a HUGELY important skill. Any field you go into its unlikely you will be working alone, as most media needs a crew. Building connections and collaborating will likely be a big part of your future. I think one thing I regret since graduating is not collaborating on personal projects more. My interest was in video and you really can't get much done if you are one person and a camera. Building a portfolio will be important coming out of this course. Arguably much more important than your final grade.

As for traditional media, again, I linked you to all the current modules.
    The Animation module - Seems to have stayed the same as when I was there, it was much more about theory, no actual software was taught. So you could do an assignment showing you understand animation principals by any means. This can include traditional. I made a stop motion animation. (Its cringy to look at now).

The course is very practical. Some people are attracted by the low number of lecture hours, but that's misleading. You will spend a lot of time working on assignments. You really only get taught the minimum with software, sometimes taught nothing at all. Its up to you to get to grips with it. They focus more on teaching the ideas since the software will always be changing. Only 4 modules total have any marks for exams, and those are mostly optional. I only sat one exam in my time in college, and it was for a class about TV drama.

You really need to be researching this. all the information is on the website if you look for it, You can even find a fair amount of peoples projects on Youtube. Read the module descriptions in detail.

Advertisement