Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Fields, River Shournagh Cork- Trout fishing

Options
  • 26-05-2016 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am trying to find a bit of concrete info here.

1.Is a permit required to fish for trout along the section of the lee at the lee fields (north and south bank)

2.Is it free to fish the river shournagh -I have heard anecdotally that it is

Inland fisheries Ireland website does not say one way or the other

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The shournagh always was but I am not 100% sure now days. I haven't fished it in years but could produce nice trout and the odd strayed salmon would be taken. The shournagh section where it enters the Lee was always a bit contentious as regards fishing rights. The Lee fields is free fishing.

Edit. I'm talking Lee fields on straight road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Thanks Sea Fields

Looking at the Shournagh on google maps, it seems that the eastern/northern bank would be easier to fish because of the lack of trees. Are there any issues with access there (permission of farmer etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I fished large stretches and always found it fine for fly fishing. Upstream from the golf course in Blarney was very easy to fish and could produce. It's tributary the river Martin was also nice fishing. Not as big an average size as the shournagh but a nice river to fish.

Edit: permission I dont know about. I never had any issues but as i said haven't fishing it in years. A lot of it is accessible by the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 makeralman

it is free fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

You can fish for trout in the Lee Fields area up as far as the Dairy farm on the straight road. You can also get a €30 trout license to fly fish on the Anglers Rest side as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

The shournagh is free. It's after several fish kills over the years though and isn't as good as it was, less fish and fewer decent sized fish. small mepps do well enough.
    I'm not familiar with the blarney side but it's worth a look up towards Donoughmore.

Advertisement