Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrub suggestion please.

Options
  • 26-05-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭

So I have a border that's quite windswept, north facing and were at 250m altitude so we get late frosty winds each year.

I'm thinking if I planted an evergreen very hardy shrub at the end it would (I hope) break the wind and be somewhat protective of the bed.

Any suggestions on a decent looking every green shrub, preferably flowering, that
    I could use ?? Ideally grown to maybe 6-8 feet.

A friend suggested checking out the Rhododendron family but I haven't looked it up yet.

It would be right next my entry so I'd like it to look half decent too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would suggest that if you are in a very exposed spot you should look around and see what is growing well in hedgerows near you.

For strong winds you would probably be as well off with a closely branched deciduous shrub - in strong winds the wind will go through, but still be reduced, rather than beating the leaves of an evergreen.

Laurel would do the job as an evergreen. You could also consider something like hawthorn which is deciduous but has flowers and trims to a very nice hedge. I suggest you put up a windbreak of netting to help any hedge get established.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I live at 5 m higher than you and started a garden from scratch on a slightly north facing slope, very exposed to the south, west and north, I have forestry to the east of me. As my garden has developed over the last 10 years I've had many successes and many failures with shrubs and these are some of the successes.

(e)= Evergreen

Berberis darwinii (e)
    Buddleia globosa (semi e)
    Buddleia x weyeriana
    Various Spirea types
    Olearia Macrodonta (e) I highly recomend for windy spots
    Ribes Sanguineum
    Rhododendron (e)
    Fuchia magellanica
    Viburnum rhytidophyllum(e)
    Viburnum lantana
    Viburnum plicarum mariesii
    Leycerstia formosa
    Physocarpus opulifolius Diablo
    Phormium tenax (plain green species ) (e)

Have a google of these and see if you like any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks guys.
    I'll work through that list and see what might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

dont get a Rhododendron ponticum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I live at 5 m higher than you and started a garden from scratch on a slightly north facing slope, very exposed to the south, west and north, I have forestry to the east of me. As my garden has developed over the last 10 years I've had many successes and many failures with shrubs and these are some of the successes.

(e)= Evergreen

Berberis darwinii (e)
    Buddleia globosa (semi e)
    Buddleia x weyeriana
    Various Spirea types
    Olearia Macrodonta (e) I highly recomend for windy spots
    Ribes Sanguineum
    Rhododendron (e)
    Fuchia magellanica
    Viburnum rhytidophyllum(e)
    Viburnum lantana
    Viburnum plicarum mariesii
    Leycerstia formosa
    Physocarpus opulifolius Diablo
    Phormium tenax (plain green species ) (e)

Have a google of these and see if you like any of them

Great stuff..
    Went through the list and there is lots I like the look of.. particularly happy to see the buddleia on the list, I grew them very successfully at my last house but never thought of them for an exposed sight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

_Brian wrote: »
    Great stuff..
    Went through the list and there is lots I like the look of.. particularly happy to see the buddleia on the list, I grew them very successfully at my last house but never thought of them for an exposed sight..

They are usually buddleias that you see growing out of derelict house chimneys - doesn't come a lot more exposed than that!

Advertisement