Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing knicker flashing

Options
  • 26-05-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hello! My little girl is a rambunctious (almost) 4 year old. She loves wearing dresses and skirts in the warm weather, but she spends so much of her time rolling around the floor that she is constantly flashing her knickers :p

While I will be teaching her to try and keep herself covered, I do want her to be able to be herself, and not worry about what her skirt is doing when she wants to practice handstands and so on.

When it is too warm for tights, what do you put on under your little girls' dresses and skirts, if anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Kash wrote: »
    Hello! My little girl is a rambunctious (almost) 4 year old. She loves wearing dresses and skirts in the warm weather, but she spends so much of her time rolling around the floor that she is constantly flashing her knickers :p

While I will be teaching her to try and keep herself covered, I do want her to be able to be herself, and not worry about what her skirt is doing when she wants to practice handstands and so on.

When it is too warm for tights, what do you put on under your little girls' dresses and skirts, if anything?

Could you try a pair of shorts or cropped leggings underneath if you can predict she's going to playing and rolling about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Leggings or little shorts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I need to invest in little shorts for her :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd just let her off as she is tbh. She's going to spend long enough being self-conscious about her body. Embrace the time where she's not worried about it.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'd just let her off as she is tbh. She's going to spend long enough being self-conscious about her body. Embrace the time where she's not worried about it.

See, this is my instinct too! The only reason I even thought about it is that her creche had a music demonstration type thing today with lots of dancing, and she was doing her crazy little hip-hop dance and rolling on her back kicking her legs - really enjoying herself - and some of the other parents were actually tutting. Normally, i'm very much of the opinion that other parents can stick it as far as my child is concerned, but I also don't want her to be looked down upon like that. It bothered me.

So I wanted to know what other parents do - are shorts under dresses normal?

Then I was thinking of getting some boxer type things, they'd have a little more coverage without actually covering her up, then I get annoyed with myself for even thinking it is necessary. The very idea makes the SHAME! SHAME! scene from GoT echo in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As a dad of 2 girls both very active for jumping around and handstands, I'd leave her be I think your over thinking it .
    Ignore other parents she's your child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Those parents are being ridiculous! She's 4 for gods sake. I wouldn't worry about it. I suggested shorts or cropped leggings because I thought you were looking for a solution. Honestly, shame on those parents tut tutting!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not just put her in shorts or trousers anyway?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

looksee wrote: »
    Why not just put her in shorts or trousers anyway?

OP said she loves dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

It sounds like those other parents have little to worry about, jeez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I use the cropped leggings, almost like cycling shorts. Next do a good 3 pack of them. You can also get three quarter length ones for those days when it's not as warm.

I don't do it for the sake of someone else but just don't really like her jumping around playgrounds and school showing off her pants! Maybe it is just me 'conforming' but I'm more comfortable with her having the short leggings underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

the parents tutting was for any number of reasons, Not a single parent I know bats an eyelid at their kids running around in random states of undress!!

massively overthinking it.

Ok thanks all. Seems like i'm not failing her in any way by letting her off without any shorts - i'll leave as is then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh, please please please do your best to ignore those hateful busybodies!
    Your daughter is enjoying being able to move freely without worrying about "covering up" - we're lucky enough (I had hoped!) not to have to curb our daughters' freedoms as they're used to in so many countries :

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/05/07/477025837/the-mother-who-wouldnt-let-a-teacher-shame-her-3-year-old

(I thought that was a wonderful and terrible story - and so brave of the mother to defy the society she finds herself in, for her daughter's sake. I'm saddened to learn that we're not al that much further on ourselves.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My 5 year old is the same. I couldn't give a hoot, and neither does she. Sure they'd be roasted in leggings under dresses.

My smallies dresses are usually t-shirt dresses, around knee length, so it's only when she's upside-down.
    This kinda thing

9085250404382.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Skorts are handy, don't know how easy they are to get here now. I used to get them from an aunt in America, 15 years ago now.. I'm sure you can get them online. I'd be reluctant to make her too aware of her body though. At 4 she should be rambunctious. Most people don't notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It's a pair of knickers! How offensive can a child's pair of knickers be to anyone else? I remember having a dress that I loved loved loved and insisted on wearing so much for so long it became known as "the bum freezer" it was so short on me.
    Kids will become self aware of their bodies all too soon I'd say leave her be. All she is doing is running and dancing and normal activities and if anyone has an issue with that then it's their problem.

Advertisement