Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush cutter recommendations

Options
  • 26-05-2016 3:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to get a petrol brush cutter to clear a garden that's been overgrown for years, and would like some recommendations from ye if possible. In and around the €250-300 mark.
    I saw one in McQuillans that seemed good and also comes with a strimmer head for when the heavy stuff is cleared back. It was a german brand 'Einhell' but I'd never heard of it before - anyone know if they are any good.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I bought a multi tool one online last year for a job similar to what you've described. It's a German engine, probably Einhell, and has been trouble free. Take note though that it's a DIY tool and therefore won't have the lifespan of Stihl etc. Here's a link:
    http://www.timberpro-uk.com/5-in-1-petrol-multitool-with-3-brush-cutter-blades-and-2-extra-strimmer-spools/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cheers. Saw some of the multi-tools alright but was worried they might be bit gimmicky. How do you find changing over the various tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

No problem changing tools. The only negative about this machine that I can find is the weight. It's heavy. But if you set up the harness properly that eases the problem considerably.

Buy a stihl brushcutter for €700 - €800 and you will have it for the next 20 years easy. Perfectly balanced and way less straining to use one all day long.

Have an 19 year old one myself that was used commercially

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

You can get an entry level Stihl brush cutter new for €300-€400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Even better try & get a Stihl Combi engine plus strimmer attachment. It will last for years, be trouble free & you can add hedgecutters, pole saws as you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

how big is the garden? how heavy is the weed cover? how many hours work will the strimmer get? What size strimmer you buy depends on these variables. I've A stihl 130 which is used do clear areas roughly an acre of fairly heavy weed cover. Its a beast though so would be overkill for a smaller less weedy area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's about 1/3 of an acre & hasnt been cut back for years, so a combination of long heavy grass, brambles and assort woody weeds. Once it's done once I should be ok though, so maybe the 130 is overkill alright. €600 is a bit steep anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Had a ryobi and I didn't have it 2 years and it broke down and was told it couldn't be fixed. Got an Einhell from Germany and it is still going fine after a few seasons, I have near an acre some rough stuff too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if theres a shop near you that you know and trust ask them about second hand strimmers, obviously you'd want to be sure it's been well looked after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I have purchased 2 Timberpro strimmers and a hedge cutter. All very good for the money. quick delivery too. For the price you cant go wrong.
    I found the strimmer with the handlbars much more comfortable to use however.

Advertisement