Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Baikal

• 26-05-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a newbie and recently purchased (secondhand) a Baikal o/u. I will most likely use it as an all rounder initially and see where it takes me. However, my question is, what is the general opinion on these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Thier marmite guns, you either love 'em or hate 'em....I hate marmite but love my Baikal semi auto.

Older guns can have lower grade wood that can split but it's not a given, while new guns have better quality wood in stock. There are basic models with no frills and then there's others with all the whistles and bells - selective barrels, multi chokes etc.
    Generally the guns are tough as nails with reference to Siberian railroad sleepers and rails used in their construction, but the finish can be of a lower standard but mechanicaly they are sound.

Once the gun fits you and there has been no previous abuse you'll have a gun that will serve you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I bought a baikal second hand when I was 16. I gave it away when I was 38. It was my country gun up to then and boy did it account for game, never once gave problems. ðŸ‘👌👌indestructible and made in the USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Thanks lads, as I said, I'll give it a year or so and then if I am enjoying the shooting I will probably upgrade, or get a second gun.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

I'd be amazed if it doesn't shoot well....

They are known to be a great workhorse, not fancy or suited for showing off to the gentry, but a good solid, reliable gun, from all I've heard from people who have used them.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    However, my question is, what is the general opinion on these?

A work horse of a gun and hard to beat at its price. Which one did you get: sxs or o/u?

I have an IZH-27 which for its price, has a lot of nice options: screw in chokes, selective trigger, auto-ejectors.

The only fault I have is that, as field guns, the safety resets after every action opening. Would be nice to have an option like a trap gun to turn off the safety.

I had an issue where cartridges were slipping under the ejectors and getting stuck. I sent the shotgun back for repair and they took care of the problem and replaced my cracked forestock - great customer service.

Again, it is a great gun. The wood will not be exotic and the fit may leave you wanting to widdle a bit here and there, but for the price, they are hard to beat.

Would not hesitate to buy another...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

They are a great starter gun for new people to the sport. Like the other posters say, they are as tough as old boots and shoot well. Maybe not the prettiest to look at and maybe a bit rough around the edges, but keep going for a year or two and see how you get on with it. I know lads that have them for years and love them.
    I personally wouldn't buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Ive a SXS Mp 43 with ejectors havent really hit much with it as the stock was to short for me and didnt fit great.

Ive gotten a recoil pad to add a nice bit of length and it fits much better.Will know much much it shoots better when i go decoying soon :D

Its defiantly a solid gun.

Advertisement