Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value 1080p monitor

Options
  • 26-05-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

In the future I would hope to upgrade my graphics card and get a 1440p 144hrz monitor but for the moment I need a good 1080p one. Primary because my 40" Samsung Series 8 LED TV has 300ms of input lag which means I dont stand a chance playing FPS online and its very noticeable in single player games.

Correct me if im wrong but I assume theses are the things to look out for when buying a good monitor:

IPS Panel
    1 - 10 ms response rate
    60 FPS
    24" in size or there abouts
    HDMI

Games on my Samsung TV look amazing even though its 7 years old. The main goal of buying a new monitor is to greatly reduce my input lag but I would prefer not to comprise the graphical quality I am now used to from my TV.

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (3.6 GHz, 8 MB cache)
    RAM - 16 GB DDR3
    Graphics card - AMD Radeon R9 270 (2 GB GDDR5)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ASUS and Acer make a whole bunch of low cost 144hz monitors. I got mine based purely on the refresh rate and input lag (effectively none), I couldn't care less about colour reproduction and black values, etc - it's a performance monitor for games like CSGO. I've a Dell Ultrasharp for stuff that needs accurate rendition.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitors-buyers-guide-may-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Zillah wrote: »
    ASUS and Acer make a whole bunch of low cost 144hz monitors. I got mine based purely on the refresh rate and input lag (effectively none), I couldn't care less about colour reproduction and black values, etc - it's a performance monitor for games like CSGO. I've a Dell Ultrasharp for stuff that needs accurate rendition.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitors-buyers-guide-may-2016/

Is there any point getting a 144hz monitor with the graphics card I have. Also would it cost much more than a 60hz?

Depends on what you're playing. Something like CSGO is optimised for max framerate on virtually anything. A monitor will last a very long time though, so even if your GPU isn't up to it, the next one probably will be.

That said, looking at benchmarks, your card is only a little behind my GTX 770 and I frequently get games running above 60.

I got the Asus VG248QE - seemed like a good balance of performance v price.

As for 144hz vs 60hz cost - there are many other qualities. A 144hz like my Asus is pretty cheap because it doesn't give a crap about things like accurate colour reproduction. All else being equal, a 144hz will obviously be more expensive, but all else is rarely equal. It's a question of balancing your specific needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A GTX770 itself wouldn't be up to a 144hz monitor on any AAA titles (unless you ran everything at low), and even then it is a lot faster than an R9 270.

A decent 1080p monitor won't set you back more than €150. I'd leave 144hz alone unless you planned a fairly substantial GPU upgrade as well, but then you'd be looking at probably closer to €500 for the package.

Ok but AAA titles aren't the only ones worth considering. And you don't have to hit 144. 90 is still much smoother than 60.

• Advertisement

I only want to buy a 60hz monitor if its going to save me money. I should be upgrading my graphics card in 1 - 2 years and hopefully will be able to afford a 1440p monitor then. The ASUS VG248QE would set me back 300 euro which is a bit out of my budget.

Is the Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor lacking in performance for modern games? Just wondering for future reference when I do upgrade

I came across these two monitors which both have a 5ms rate. Are they any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VC239H-inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B00YQKTGR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464289807&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+pavilion+22xw+21+5+in+ips+led+backlit+monitor Asus VC239H 23 inch Full HD IPS LCD Monitor (16:9, 80M:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 5 ms, VGA/HDMI/DVI)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2460HM-24-inch-Multimedia/dp/B00AQBWMZ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1464289807&sr=8-5&keywords=hp+pavilion+22xw+21+5+in+ips+led+backlit+monitor BenQ GL2460HM LED TN 24-inch W Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080) DVI, HDMI, 12M:1, 2 ms GTG, 1000:1, speakers, Slim Bezel - Glossy Black

Just fired up Team Fortress for the first time on my new computer. Seems to be a lot less input lag in it compared to CS:GO and Battlefield 4

DarraghR wrote: »
    Is the Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor lacking in performance for modern games?

God no. GPU's are the bottleneck these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well in most games. There are a few that are CPU oriented. Kerbal Space program for example. Its not a very well optimized game for sure but upgrading your GPU doesn't have nearly as big an effect as a higher clocked CPU. And it's not alone in that.

I wonder if I run Battlefield 4 and CS:GO on the lowest settings will the lag go away. Sure will give it a bash when i get home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No. An R9 270 can run those games fine at high settings. If there's input lag there's nothing you can do about that. Some TV's have separate 'gaming' modes.

My TVs gaming mode makes little difference to my input lag. I am looking to order a monitor today and €200 is my budget but something cheaper would be nice. 1080p with good color and response rate sounds like the best option for my budget. 144hz would be fantastic considering I want to get into CS:GO but I dont want to downgrade the image quality as I am used to my Samsung Series 8 gorgeous output.

Also is a display port option better than HDMI visually?

It might also be good to mention that I do some freelance web and graphic design so color accuracy would be good. It seems that a 1440p with IPS is hard to find for under 300 so maybe I need to forget about IPS considering my budget.

Here are a few monitors I am considering:

AOC G2460PQU 144Hz 24.0"

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" Gaming Monitor, 144 Hz 1ms (GTG), 3D Monitor, Height & pivot adjustable, 350 cd/m2, Built-in Speakers
    (30 euro over my budget)

Acer G257HU smidpx 25" 4ms HDMI Ultra Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS 350 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

AOC Q2778VQE Black 27" 1ms WQHD Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 350 cd/m2 80,000,000:1, HDMI, Display Port

Anyone know where to buy a monitor from. It seems after shipping and tax the price goes up by €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I had two BENQ 24" monitors that were great. Vibrant colours, couldn't fault them. Only have one now as I replaced a monitor with a 144HZ AOC.

I bought mine from Pixmania for €140 delivered which I felt was great value as they were bought before 1440p or 144hz were on the scene.

Ok so change of plan. I might be looking for an AOC or HP gaming monitor as I can get them at a good price. HP will probably be too expensive but what are 144HZ AOC monitors like?

AOC G2460PF

Advertisement