Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour parking outside my back gate

Options
  • 26-05-2016 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Is my neighbour entitled to park outside my back gate. It is it just goodwill. Legally how do I stand if ask her to park elsewhere so I can park there and walk straight through into my house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

seefin wrote: »
    Is my neighbour entitled to park outside my back gate. It is it just goodwill. Legally how do I stand if ask her to park elsewhere so I can park there and walk straight through into my house?

Is there access for vehicles? If it's just a door and there is no dropped kerb then tough **** I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If your back gate opens up to a road, it's fair game. You can't hold the car space. Why does the neighbour park outside your house as oppose to their own house? Unless you own the parking space (it's your land) there's nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

That's what I was thinking. There are 5 adults in house next door ,all with cars so they've taken up most of car park too !! I'll wait till there's no car there some evening and park there.they might take the hint but they're ignorant people so reckon they'll plough on :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's what I was thinking. There are 5 adults in house next door ,all with cars so they've taken up most of car park too !! I'll wait till there's no car there some evening and park there.they might take the hint but they're ignorant people so reckon they'll plough on :-)

Depends on the layout. Can you describe the layout better or post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is it a rear driveway or just a gate you walk through?

• Advertisement

There's a lane in the estate leading up to the estate car park. My back wall leads onto this and I've a metal door built into the wall to allow access into back garden. It's not on a main road, just an estate road if that makes sense. It was a friend who commented ,couldn't believe they had nerve to park outside my gate, Id ignored until then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

There's a lane in the estate leading up to the estate car park. My back wall leads onto this and I've a metal door built into the wall to allow access into back garden. It's not on a main road, just an estate road if that makes sense. It was a friend who commented ,couldn't believe they had nerve to park outside my gate, Id ignored until then

Unless it's for vehicle access I'm unsure why they can't park there?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

The in-laws have a similar issue in their housing estate with a really rude next door neighbour, there's ample parking for the annoying neighbour to put their car across the street because they've several car users in their house but she decided to impede the BIL's parking outside his own home, even when there's noone parked outside her own home??
    It's on Public road in an estate so nothing they can do, they've tried talking to the person several times since they bought the house and the person is just pure looney-tunes..
    Sadly some people either seek the attention to be annoying or else it's purely down to a sense of self entitlement that they affect others peace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Unless theres vehicular access or allocated parking, it's fair game.

Before we got married, my wife used live in a house, outside which an Eircom employee who lived across the street used park his Eircom van.

If I happened to call and park immediately outside her house before he got home from work, he'd obviously have to park somewhere else but he'd watch all evening to see if my car moved and immediately move his van into position outside her house.

People are strange, parking draws the strangeness out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

So hang on, you didn't even notice they were parked there until a friend pointed it out, you don't normally park there yourself, but you think they have a nerve to park there?

What?

• Advertisement

Story Bud? wrote:
    So hang on, you didn't even notice they were parked there until a friend pointed it out, you don't normally park there yourself, but you think they have a nerve to park there?

I noticed but assumed all along was fair game so ignored etc. My friend seemed to think they weren't legally entitled to do this, hence raising the issue here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I noticed but assumed all along was fair game so ignored etc. My friend seemed to think they weren't legally entitled to do this, hence raising the issue here .

"Friends" saying its illegal can end up causing issues where none exists.

Ask the friend to give you details of the illegality - they wonlt be able to and it this type of flippant comment by people not involved that cause neighbourly disputes.

In most case the roads and pathways on estates are public roads and pathways unless it is a private estate with an Owner Managed Company that owns the open spaces and which all residents are memebrs of that company (apartment scheme is an example)

There is nothing to stop anyone parking once they are parked in a proper manner and if it hasn't affected you to date, then don't let it affect you going forward and when your friend asks next time just say that its a public road and you don't see an issue. It certainly is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

If you are in an estate and aren't really using the space then some neighbour is going to use it, be it this neighbour or another one. If you want this space then start using it instead of the one you are currently using - and someone else will start using that one. I don't think you can keep a spare one in this situation though, which is what you seem to want. Chances are they don't want to park outside your gate either, but if they have a car and space is limited, what other options do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get some friends who aren't so petty - it will make your life less stressful overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

You were right - it is fair game. Ignore your friends comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Jaysus lads, chill pills needed all round methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Sounds like there is on street parking in which case it is fair game to park anywhere on the street for both you and your neighbours. If they were blocking a driveway and preventing access well then fair enough.

Your neighbour is not parked on your property so what's the issue? You don't own the space outside your back gate. Time to move along, nothing to see here.

Rehang your gate so it opens outwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mother's neighbours own a fleet of taxis. We usually have 5 or 6 taxis parked in front of and behind the house. Unless the car is blocking another parking space I don't see the issue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You could always try a no parking sign, but that would mean you couldn't park there either OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

athtrasna wrote: »
    You could always try a no parking sign, but that would mean you couldn't park there either OP

On the same theme- you could have a 'reserved parking' sign- with your car reg on it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

On the same theme- you could have a 'reserved parking' sign- with your car reg on it.......

And everyone would be free to ignore, which i hope they would. He doesn't own the road outside his gate.

It's one of my pet hates to see people appropriating public property for their own sole benefit when they're not entitled to, with cones or signs and the like.

Advertisement