Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Etiquette

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

This thread has actually been very helpful. I didn't know I could cycle in the centre of the lane just as a car would. To clarify, it was pretty soon after getting onto Patrick St. (couldnt tell you what it is in metres) that I moved into the right-most lane. I then stayed fully in that lane to the left side of it. On the one hand I acknowledge its a bit of a way down to the junction but on the other its only about 10-20 seconds in actual time.

I didn't signal intent to turn right as I thought that would be for closer to when I was actually going to turn right, as in approaching the junction. I see now that it would have been helpful to signal intent earlier.

I still don't feel comfortable signalling right and moving into a lane with fast cars behind me. This was confirmed last night when I was cycling down Pearse st. out of the city centre, just after passing the bridge at the Grand Canal area. I looked behind me, there was one car very far back. I signalled that I was moving right, even though I felt the car was so far behind it didn't even matter, started to move to the right when next thing I hear a big whoosh behind me and the car is up my ass. I just don't feel safe in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Getting into the right-hand lane at the "top" of Patrick Street is probably a bit soon. It's a fast downhill road, but still long enough that cars will get annoyed and go to undertake, potentially causing issues. I would probably stick to the left-hand lane until you get to the park, and then start looking at moving into the right-hand lane.
    Spotting gaps and taking them in moving traffic is part learned skill, part confidence. There's no shame in pulling into the left and stopping while you wait for a gap to appear, if nothing safe has presented itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Either way, the cyclist is part of the traffic. He was turning right and was in the correct lane. Personally I would have taken the lane to ensure that I wasn't squeezed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Top 50 things not too do when cycling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6V_ZxNiSzU

Advertisement