Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank workforce layoffs

Options
  • 26-05-2016 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

I hear the bank is laying off some of the staff so that it can be run more efficiently. I can see the financial reasoning for this outcome but what of the remaining employees. It is not fair to treat them as different to any other worker out there. Anyone else feel that like me the workers need to be treated the same no matter what profession they are in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I hear the bank is laying off some of the staff so that it can be run more efficiently. I can see the financial reasoning for this outcome but what of the remaining employees. It is not fair to treat them as different to any other worker out there. Anyone else feel that like me the workers need to be treated the same no matter what profession they are in.

Hun? What way are they being treated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Hun? What way are they being treated?

A worker is a worker is a worker. Should not matter if your a Luas driver, a nurse or a banker. The attitude towards bankers in general has not been good and i'm talking about the average bank teller. I don't envy their job and I am sure glad we have ATM's. Even though modern technology eliminates the need for those workers they should receive something for their work and not just left on the sidelines.

A worker is a worker is a worker. Should not matter if your a Luas driver, a nurse or a banker. The attitude towards bankers in general has not been good and i'm talking about the average bank teller. I don't envy their job and I am sure glad we have ATM's. Even though modern technology eliminates the need for those workers they should receive something for their work and not just left on the sidelines.

What?! What way ate they being treated? And by whom? What, precisely, are you upset with?

What?! What way ate they being treated? And by whom? What, precisely, are you upset with?

Unfair treatment for bank workers as opposed to other unionized workers. In general we as a society treat workers disgracefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I hate banks for the lousy service they provide. A row of atms, cash lodgement machines and perhaps a good looking girl selling pensions or cars and handing out cups of tea whilst there is a queue of half a dozen ahead of me waiting to see the one and only cashier.

Perhaps these workers and their unions have only themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Luas workers, bank workers they all do their jobs. They should all be respected and not layoff's just increases unemployment which is bad either way you look at it.

Layoffs and redundancies are a fact of life. Nobody likes it but companies have obligations to their shareholders which, unfortunately, take precedence over their commitments to employees. I'm sure Ulster Bank will be offering a handsome enough package to those unfortunate enough to lose their jobs.

I still have no idea what you're on about, because you haven't bothered to articulate it in the slightest. Are you upset that people are being laid off? That others are being kept on?

Try and explain exactly that you issues are and then maybe people will engage with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Luas workers, bank workers they all do their jobs. They should all be respected and not layoff's just increases unemployment which is bad either way you look at it.

In afraid you have a very innocent black and white unionised view of workers and what should happen. If a business decides it can do the same business with less staff them why would they want to continue paying them ?? It's a business not a charity.

Businesses have staff to make profit, not just to employ them for the social good. If they can do with less staff they would be mad to keep the extras on.

_Brian wrote: »
    In afraid you have a very innocent black and white unionised view of workers and what should happen. If a business decides it can do the same business with less staff them why would they want to continue paying them ?? It's a business not a charity.

Businesses have staff to make profit, not just to employ them for the social good. If they can do with less staff they would be mad to keep the extras on.

Yes but the banks and indeed all companies have a responsibility to their employees. The bank should treat them with care. They did work for the company and are deserving of compensation for the job. When Waterford Crystal off civil servants were layed or the very recent Clery's case their was a public outcry. I am familiar with how companies work and the profit motive. What i'm talking about is the public inaction when certain workers are let go. In a Republic any one who is layed off is bad for society.

Advertisement