Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon Fibre Frame

• 26-05-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples experience of Carbon Fibre bikes have been. I bought a Carbon Fibre road bike a few years ago. The frame cracked and was replaced under guarantee. Not a year and a half later the new frame cracked again and was replaced under guarantee. I sold the replacement frame and went back to aluminium, have no faith in Carbon Fibre now.

I did not treat the bike roughly or anything. Was I just very unlucky or is this common?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have two carbon bikes...one is eight years old (crashed it once), the other is four years old. Very happy with both.

I say you were just unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I have a carbon Giant Defy for over 3 years and 15,300 km and it is like new.
    What make of bike did you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

rayman1 wrote: »
    I have a carbon Giant Defy for over 3 years and 15,300 km and it is like new.
    What make of bike did you have.

It was a Cube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I have both aluminium and carbon bikes. I love carbon for comfort on potholes while still very stiff when I push. The aluminium is much cheaper so I use it as a commuter. I love the carbon frame. 11k km so far, no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

20,000 + on a planet x and no bother, it hasn't melted in the sun yet either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Currently waiting on a replacement frame for my beautiful LOOK bike , small crack in frame but covered and superb customer care to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

4yrs on carbon bike ownership and not a problem and will absolutely buy carbon again.

Seems like I was a bit unlucky. Next time a might go back to Carbon Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I spotted a crack in my old Focus last year, so that was it. I probably had about 10,000km on it. Luckily, it coincided with my bike-to-work rolling over so got a Planet X. There are so many of them out there though, I considered myself to be unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

BBM77 wrote: »
    It was a Cube.

What model / year Cube was it OP, and where was the crack on the frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

I got a hole drilled in my carbon fiber mtb downtube because internal routing

I have 3 sets of carbon suspension forks going back 20 years and I'm not a lightweight.

CF is infinitely repairable unlike aluminium.

What model / year Cube was it OP, and where was the crack on the frame?

It was a 2012 CUBE Litening Super HPC Pro and it cracked both times down around the left side of the bottom bracket.

Advertisement