Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Safe

Options
  • 26-05-2016 9:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so move it wherever appropriate if need be!

I have an Excellent Electronic Code Safe that refuses to open. We type in the pin on the digital keypad and it just says 'Error' after beeping. Possibly battery issue, it did warn about them being low but it's always done it. It's a very old safe and the shop we bought it from was of no use. Locksmiths are stumped as they don't know it and everyone suggest brute force. Google shows nothing for this brand but does show generic videos - most either have the door open already, have a key for the safe (n/a in this case) or a knob to turn to open the door.

One suggestion was to get a power supply unit and plug it into the battery to override the battery, to at least rule that out. We tried that in a half baked attempt with two pieces of metal and a 9V battery but it didn't seem to impact the safe at all. The two holes are at either end of the safe - one says Power the other says Ext. The power supplies I googled to buy don't appear to match with the available holes on the safe.

Throwing it out here for some suggestions/help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Sully wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so move it wherever appropriate if need be!

I have an Excellent Electronic Code Safe that refuses to open. We type in the pin on the digital keypad and it just says 'Error' after beeping. Possibly battery issue, it did warn about them being low but it's always done it. It's a very old safe and the shop we bought it from was of no use. Locksmiths are stumped as they don't know it and everyone suggest brute force. Google shows nothing for this brand but does show generic videos - most either have the door open already, have a key for the safe (n/a in this case) or a knob to turn to open the door.

One suggestion was to get a power supply unit and plug it into the battery to override the battery, to at least rule that out. We tried that in a half baked attempt with two pieces of metal and a 9V battery but it didn't seem to impact the safe at all. The two holes are at either end of the safe - one says Power the other says Ext. The power supplies I googled to buy don't appear to match with the available holes on the safe.

Throwing it out here for some suggestions/help :)

If it is allowing you enter a code, then error appears it does sound like the wrong code is been entered.
    These usually come with a key for if the battery does die when not in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I was in the same situation as yourself OP where I badly needed to get into my keypad safe like yours.(passports for holidays ).
    Couldn't find anything online or anyone with an answer down on top of hours of frustration entering the passkey in the hope it might accept it once.

Ended up drilling a 4 inch hole with a hole saw in the side of it, emptying it and removing it from its 10mm coach bolt fixings I had installed myself to make it more secure. Took me less than 30 minutes.

I'm interested to see how you fare out as I got caught for time for a finish and apologies for nothing so constructive :-(

Just see Altor's post now, I had lost the key

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

altor wrote: »
    If it is allowing you enter a code, then error appears it does sound like the wrong code is been entered.
    These usually come with a key for if the battery does die when not in use.

The code is the same since day one though so unless it's lost its memory it's not the code. And there's nowhere to put a key. Doesn't look like one behind the digital keypad and nobody recalls getting a key!

The code is the same since day one though so unless it's lost its memory it's not the code. And there's nowhere to put a key. Doesn't look like one behind the digital keypad and nobody recalls getting a key!

Depends on how it's stored if the memory can be lost or wiped with a power loss.
    Have you a picture of the unit?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

altor wrote: »
    Depends on how it's stored if the memory can be lost or wiped with a power loss.
    Have you a picture of the unit?

We tried a universal power supply today and it didn't make a difference.

Picture attached of safe.

• Advertisement

We tried a universal power supply today and it didn't make a difference.

Picture attached of safe.

Its an old one alright.
    Just had a quick check on google, some of the solutions on this might help.
    If not you may need to call in a lock smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

hi i have inherited viro electronic safe that has gone dead no key no external battery pack . where did you get the universal power supply

Advertisement