Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Y chromosome kept us apart from Neanderthals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I didn t know that... so no first generation Neandersapiens guys?

Although, I remember there was a time when they said most hybrid animals couldn t breed, like for example ligers, and now there's even li-ligers (lion X liger hybrids), and they can breed themselves, too. I think this hybrid business is a lot more random than usually believed...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I think this hybrid business is a lot more random than usually believed...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1206564/
    ``HALDANE's rule'' states that, if species hybrids of one sex only are inviable or sterile, the afflicted sex is much more likely to be heterogametic (XY) than homogametic (XX). We show that most or all of the phenomena associated with HALDANE's rule can be explained by the simple hypothesis that alleles decreasing hybrid fitness are partially recessive.

Advertisement