Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion timer switch not working...

Options
  • 27-05-2016 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys, just looking for some advice/information here please.

Basically as the warmer weather is here we are not lighting the solid fuel range so we want to use the immersion for say about an hour in the morning and when needed.
    It has been working fine for the last few days, but I noticed the little switch that you push across was kinda loose and was just not sliding across properly.
    Anyway, tonight I went to put it on and the little switch that you push across literally fell out into my hand. I have a feeling one of the kids was at it but I'm not 100%.

So now we don't have access to hot water unless I light the range.

The timer switch in question is just like the little 24 hour timer dials that go around and you push down the little slots as to how long you want it turned on for and under that dial there is another switch that you push to the left for constant or to the right for timer.

In the previous house the immersion was just a little switch on/off and you either put it up or down but this immersion timer is exactly like the pump for the range, you have to slide it across to let the water out.

Any ideas on what I should do here, as in should I take it apart and fiddle with the little switch, or buy a new one from woodies and try install it, or just try and get an electrician ?

All advice welcome, thanks

Focus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Focusdpc wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for some advice/information here please.

Basically as the warmer weather is here we are not lighting the solid fuel range so we want to use the immersion for say about an hour in the morning and when needed.
    It has been working fine for the last few days, but I noticed the little switch that you push across was kinda loose and was just not sliding across properly.
    Anyway, tonight I went to put it on and the little switch that you push across literally fell out into my hand. I have a feeling one of the kids was at it but I'm not 100%.

So now we don't have access to hot water unless I light the range.

The timer switch in question is just like the little 24 hour timer dials that go around and you push down the little slots as to how long you want it turned on for and under that dial there is another switch that you push to the left for constant or to the right for timer.

In the previous house the immersion was just a little switch on/off and you either put it up or down but this immersion timer is exactly like the pump for the range, you have to slide it across to let the water out.

Any ideas on what I should do here, as in should I take it apart and fiddle with the little switch, or buy a new one from woodies and try install it, or just try and get an electrician ?

All advice welcome, thanks

Focus

Immersion units draw quite a but of current so you'd be better off calling in the electrician. He will also have a multimeter to diagnose the fault and order and replace the correct part.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Focusdpc

Thanks for the reply unseenfootage!

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. The reason being I will have to wait days if not over a week for an electrician. I had an issue with the fuse box in the house going back sometime and there was a smell of burning and found it hard to get an electrician. I'm living semi-rural I think that is why.

Anyway thanks for the reply as I was contemplating fiddling around with it in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Focusdpc wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply unseenfootage!

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. The reason being I will have to wait days if not over a week for an electrician. I had an issue with the fuse box in the house going back sometime and there was a smell of burning and found it hard to get an electrician. I'm living semi-rural I think that is why.

Anyway thanks for the reply as I was contemplating fiddling around with it in the morning :)

See. I'm not exactly sure what your set up looks like.
    If it is anything like in this video then you will be working directly with the power lines and that could be dangerous if you forget to switch off the mains before working or even during testing.
    Best practice would be to call an electrician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tym7jmNtk8

Advertisement