Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data fields during races

Options
  • 27-05-2016 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

What do people display during races? I'm mainly curious about the bike (looking to set up a new Edge), but how about the other sections too?

Currently I have:
    Garmin 910
    Swim: Just press start and stop (don't use distance beeps- can they be heard in races?)
    Bike: Overall time, 3s Power av, bike distance
    Run: Overall time, run time, run pace, run distance

Edge:
    3s Power av, Bike time, bike distance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    What do people display during races? I'm mainly curious about the bike (looking to set up a new Edge), but how about the other sections too?

Currently I have:
    Garmin 910
    Swim: Just press start and stop (don't use distance beeps- can they be heard in races?)

Edge:

3s avg power, hr, bike time, distance, cadence. Rarely look at in a sprint race, occasionally at an OLY and would pay more attention at a HIM & IM.

Run is lap pace, distance and overall avg pace along with hr

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I'm a numbers guy although my coach would be happiest if I ditched the clock :) On the other side, as mentioned before, I rarely actually use/look at data on shorter races (probably only at the begging of bike and run so that I don't start way too hard, something that happened few times) while I would give much more attention to it during longer races.

OW Swim - use distance beep, I feel the vibration, don't hear the beep --> on the other hand, to be frank, I'm thinking about leaving only Pace here since during the swim if I'm looking at anything that's the pace...
    Pace (Interval)
    Time + Distance

Bike - mostly just leave at screen 1, but use screen 2 for Avg speed sometimes (don't have power meter)
    Distance + Speed
    Cadence + Heart Rate
    +
    Time + Average speed
    Elevation + Speed (Lap)

Run
    Time + Pace (Lap)
    Distance + Heart Rate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Currently I have:
    Garmin 910

Edge:

3s avg power, hr, bike time, distance, cadence. Rarely look at in a sprint race, occasionally at an OLY and would pay more attention at a HIM & IM.

Run is lap pace, distance and overall avg pace along with hr
    snap on pretty much all of that, except i don't have cadence on for a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

srm_pc8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

What do people display during races?

Speed. If it's not above 40km/hr in an Olympic distance race and there's no good reason for it, I know I'm not working hard enough and I push harder. In an Ironman the figure is 36km/hr.

Edit: And I've often raced without any watch/data to look at, at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

on my display it says focus patience push

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

zico10 wrote: »
    Speed. If it's not above 40km/hr in an Olympic distance race and there's no good reason for it, I know I'm not working hard enough and I push harder. In an Ironman the figure is 36km/hr.

Would Wattage not give a better indication of of how hard you're working? (speed being skewed with hills/wind/surface etc).

Would Wattage not give a better indication of of how hard you're working? (speed being skewed with hills/wind/surface etc).

You're asking the wrong man. This is what works for me and it's enough data for me to work off. That's the extent of my knowledge, I'm afraid.

But I do know I've cycled faster than people in races, who told me afterward they had backed off, because that's what their PMs told them to do.

You're asking the wrong man. This is what works for me and it's enough data for me to work off. That's the extent of my knowledge, I'm afraid.

But I do know I've cycled faster than people in races, who told me afterward they had backed off, because that's what their PMs told them to do.

Interesting point you make about others backing off. If its working for you, its working. I'd imagine a lot is down to the (in)experience on the bike- I know in my case as an inexperienced racer, power works better than speed. I trusted my PM in my last race, and passed many in the run who had burned their matches on their bike climb.

Interesting point you make about others backing off. If its working for you, its working. I'd imagine a lot is down to the (in)experience on the bike- I know in my case as an inexperienced racer, power works better than speed. I trusted my PM in my last race, and passed many in the run who had burned their matches on their bike climb.

Define working.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Define working.

I'm talking about Work in the sense Work=Power*time, so related to number-watching your 3s wattage.

There's also the "what work's for you" sense of work, and to be fair if thats getting someone onto the podium then thats the more important meaning!

You define working, Tunney.

Because I see little evidence, in the logs, of anything working for a lot of the people you coach/have coached. And I am convinced you'd have managed to make me slower, if I listened to all the talking down you've done to me for the last 5 years.

You define working, Tunney.

Because I see little evidence, in the logs, of anything working for a lot of the people you coach/have coached. And I am convinced you'd have managed to make me slower, if I listened to all the talking down you've done to me for the last 5 years.

LOL - exactly the sort of response I expected. Stay frosty.

tunney wrote: »
    LOL - exactly the sort of response I expected. Stay frosty.

I don't know how you would have expected anything, as I usually just ingore your sh!t stirring.

But please give your definition of 'working', then I'll give mine, with reference to my own approach to racing, because that's clearly what you're having a dig at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

peter kern wrote: »
    on my display it says focus patience push

I should add to my display
    stay on course

as for powermeter of course they work, and do work for many
    but they also do make many people slower that use them wrongly and dont push enough.

what we certainly see is a decline of importantce in power meter at elite level ( dont misundertood that with less have them , on the contrary, are widely used but people put less empahsis on them
    than a few years ago ( especialy the coaches that achieve top results )
    as for working better if one is 6-7 % off power target ( or 15 watts) thats hardly working better than more zico s way
    regardless which ever strategy one uses one has always to beable to adapt it on the day.

what they (powermeter) of course do is to add the placebo effect that one does the right thing and is scientific .its a bit like writing complicated articles with a lot of jargon and saying nothing, is often ragarded higher than a simply written article the gets to the point.
    or as one forum member that always tries to make other people look stupid when they dont agree with his point of view by using agressive language ( they way right wing politicians use it )

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

I'm going to suggest that we start referring to Zico as "the professor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    I should add to my display
    stay on course

You need to update to the latest version on your casio watch that includes GPS and maps. (i need to do the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Just catching up on all this now, any reason you don't have heart rate on the screen Kurt?

joey100 wrote: »
    Just catching up on all this now, any reason you don't have heart rate on the screen Kurt?

I think either power or HR should be used, one or the other, but I find using both often contradictory on the bike. Also if going uphill (say) the 3s power data is immediate and a rider can react, but there is a lag in HR which may skew how you perceive it. Do you use both yourself?

I'd sometimes use the HR on a run and find its zones more useful, and they correspond to perceived effort in a more useful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd have it on the screen on the bike alright but wouldn't be near the top. More just to double check the power, so if power was low I'd expect heart rate to be low too.

Use it on the run alright, especially for the first km or so, saves me setting out too fast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement