Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancys Ghost Recon Wildlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Co-op would be a different kettle of fish I suppose, was playing solo all day but gonna do co-op now when mate logs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Do you actually have them added as a friend on uPlay? xbox/pc/ps4 friends dont automatically load in

I can't get any friends to show tbh, I've friends on my UPlay account but can't seem to invite them.

Nevermind, tried on the PS4 Browser and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hiding in the trunk of a car FTW lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So some say its not a tactical shooter others say it is.
    If anyone has a spare key for PC id appreciate it to take a look for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dcully wrote: »
    So some say its not a tactical shooter others say it is.
    If anyone has a spare key for PC id appreciate it to take a look for myself :)

to be honest I think this is definitely a console game..i hate 3rd person on pc games..with the exception of the witcher as you're using melee weapons but for guns..no no no..frakking fps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not even remotley close to a tactical shooter even on Ghost difficutly.

Not a bad game tho. I finished the 6 story missions and want to play more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This game is awful. Not a tac shooter. Vehicle controls are miserable. I can drive a lorry at 90 degrees up a cliff. The enemy alert siren and colour flash just makes the game too easy. Co-op isnt clear for people who hop on and are a few missions behind.

Honestly it feels like a ****ty attempt at realistic settings Borderlands without any of the charm.

Question, what do people class as a tactical shooter? Any games you can reference.

All the classic grass roots ghost recons are all like this. This seems on point to me for Ghost Recon.

The condition of the game feels like an alpha. It needs quite a bit of polish. A good few glitches. The driving on console could do with some controller vibration to make it feel a bit better.

It has the bones of a great game. Not for me at launch however I'll definitely get it few months after launch once they fix it up a bit.

The side missions are actually very good. Don't forget them.

Don't think of the beta as just a few missions. You can replay missions and unlock more skills and *tactics... Such as rebel motar strikes, diversions, vehicle drop offs, land mines, grenade launchers, hire rebel misonaries, etc, etc.

Question, what do people class as a tactical shooter? Any games you can reference.

/QUOTE]

Well for one Ghost Recon and maybe SWAT 4, Ravenshield, Arma 2/3 Insurgency, Project Reality in BF42/2 and a lot more.

Tactical shooter basically means that the bullet coming for you (and for them) is incapacitation. Thats it game over, whatever you did in the previous 10 minutes game time is done. And the reason your dead is the plan Tactics you and your Comms mates had were wrong.

So yeah wildlands is a fun shooter, i still like it and would like to play more tho.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Well for one Ghost Recon and maybe SWAT 4, Ravenshield, Arma 2/3 Insurgency, Project Reality in BF42/2 and a lot more.

Tactical shooter basically means that the bullet coming for you (and for them) is incapacitation. Thats it game over, whatever you did in the previous 10 minutes game time is done. And the reason your dead is the plan Tactics you and your Comms mates had were wrong.

So yeah wildlands is a fun shooter, i still like it and would like to play more tho.
    Going into Arma is way off the chart as a tactical shooter. It's way more advanced to be in that class, just my opinion. You sound like you are referring to a simulation.

As a massive Ghost Recon fan from the very start it checks all the boxes. Traditional ghost recon had all the same but much less than this obviously.

How does traditional Ghost recon stack up against Arma.... It doesn't. It's a ghost recon game. If people are looking for Arma experience they are in the wrong boat lol.

I see Arma refer to themselves as a tactical shooter. I would have placed it in a much higher category than that. If people are looking for an Arma like game they are way, way, way off.

• Advertisement

Ughh, having played co-op all day I am doing solo with AI now. My AI team are hopeless. I just want to leave them in a corner some where while I take care of business lol.

Ah, you have to rank up their skill points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Alrights guys, me and the bro were looking at this for a while, the consensus seems to be devided here though. We might skip by looks of it, on the basis i was hoping it would be a proper tactical shooter/stealth job. Kinda 1 shot 1 kill on both sides, getting tactics spot on etc. We're on the ps4 for now, so do most of ye wreckon to skip this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I enjoyed what I did play of it last night, about 3 hours with a squad, finished the story missions and a few of the side quests, I won't buy it day one personally, it was nothing like Advanced Warfighter anyway, more Far Cry in third person...

I did enjoy the world, some of the guns, the graphics were pretty amazing on Pro also, something is just lacking in it for me, can't put my finger on it...

Good fun if there is 4 together though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It in no way a tac shooter and in no way reminiscent to the old Ghost Recom games.

I cant really put my finger on it, I know its a beta but the whole game for me anyway is a pure console game, as I said I really dont see it as a tac shooter in the least. Its very arcadey with all gltiz and glamour on the surface, customisation, weapons loadout etc then when you get down to it and start to try and play it tactically it falls so flat for me.

Its not a bad game but they are deffo trying to market this as something its not. I said a good few posts back the AI is terrible and the squad do your head it with all the needless chatter just to make a tense atmosphere thats not tense at all.

There are only 6 main missions in the beta which are decent but the side missions (stealing the chopper for supplies etc are SO REPETITIVE at this stage, exact same enemy AI standing in the EXACT same positions getst old after doing it 3-4 times.

Having said all that, I was playing it co-op last night and I had some great craic trying to be all "Where Eagles Dare" and ended up like Johnny English failing missions because we were messing so much.

Will pick it up but wont be in a mad hurry TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've finally got a bit of time to myself to try it out properly and the servers are cack.

Enjoyed the hour or so I played last night apart from the input lag I was getting.

I had great craic playing it yesterday in co-op. I definitely recommend it for Co-op.

Solo play with AI is awful. Limited orders for your AI team mates. I don't think I can order them individually (I could be wrong)
    They are dumb and smile at enemies who have spotted them. A few times I have to hide them in a bush and complete the mission lol.

As I said earlier there are loads of tactics available but the game is just a Ghost recon game and should be compared like for like. In co-op I get my ghost recon experience. Solo play with bots is below par.

The customisation is awesome. I'd like to see that for the Division which was incredibly bland in that department.

Side note: The weather effects are incredible btw. The best I have seen in a game.

If this had modding support it could be amazing.

1st mod = 1st person only.
    2nd mod = human opponents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

When playing with AI to line up the sync shots, do you have to position your squad first? Was pressing on another target for a second sync shot and nothing pops up.
    I remember in Advanced warfighter, you just highlight four targets and you team mates get in position to take the shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Going into Arma is way off the chart as a tactical shooter. It's way more advanced to be in that class, just my opinion. You sound like you are referring to a simulation.

As a massive Ghost Recon fan from the very start it checks all the boxes. Traditional ghost recon had all the same but much less than this obviously.

How does traditional Ghost recon stack up against Arma.... It doesn't. It's a ghost recon game. If people are looking for Arma experience they are in the wrong boat lol.

I see Arma refer to themselves as a tactical shooter. I would have placed it in a much higher category than that. If people are looking for an Arma like game they are way, way, way off.

When you say GR from the start the you mean the original ones way back on pc or the later console muck?
    Genuine question as there us a huge difference between the two.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    When you say GR from the start the you mean the original ones way back on pc or the later console muck?
    Genuine question as there us a huge difference between the two.

Yes the original on PC and on console also. I only got to play AI co-op last night so I could see the dumbed down mechanics. I wanted to assault a building with multiple entry points but the AI couldn't be separated into singles with separate commands so all 3 stacked on one door. (unless I am missing something)

The co-op with buddies is spot on for GR.

Ah so this is like The Division? You have to upgrade everything or enemies absorb your puny bullets for 20 minutes because they're a different colour?

Shame. I was enjoying it until I realised that.

Ah so this is like The Division? You have to upgrade everything or enemies absorb your puny bullets for 20 minutes because they're a different colour?

Shame. I was enjoying it until I realised that.

Nope. It's the Division except for the bullet sponge.

Purple are a faction of the army. Highly trained with way better weapons until you rank up. They have body armour so 1 shot head kill. About 3-4 to the body to kill.

Nope. It's the Division except for the bullet sponge.

Really? I met some blue guys there a while ago and they just would not die.

Really? I met some blue guys there a while ago and they just would not die.

I haven't seen any blue. Purple is the army that swing by if they see you engaging the cartel. They are like the cops in GTA. The more you annoy them the harder they come. I must switch on to have a look for these blue guys. I played all day yesterday and didn't come across anyone I couldn't kill with a quick 3-4 rounds burst.

I haven't seen any blue. Purple is the army that swing by if they see you engaging the cartel. They are like the cops in GTA. The more you annoy them the harder they come. I must switch on to have a look for these blue guys. I played all day yesterday and didn't come across anyone I couldn't kill with a quick 3-4 rounds burst.

It could have been purple, I'm a bit colourblind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

It could have been purple, I'm a bit colourblind :pac:

I thought they were blue too and I'm very colourblind.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Still on the fence about this after 3 hours.

First of all do not buy this game if you plan on playing it solo. The squad commands are so sparse they are more of an annoyance than a benefit. Enemy AI is horrible, but that could change when it goes live.

This is a co-op game and with will live or die on these premises. Now when you are in a good squad it is a glorious experience with people who are WILLING to play it how its meant to be played (ie setting up tactics, splitting off into fire teams etc etc). However if you spawn into a group who just wanna play it like GTA or wont communicate it can be very very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I can still invite 3 people to the beta on PS4 if anyone needs it. Add my UPlay - ItsHoggie , if I figure out how to accept you and I'll send the invite :pac:

• Advertisement

The content in the beta is absolutely tiny, the map is big but 6 story mission is not enough (and they are very small also just like side missions) especially as the side missions are so repetitive. I am just driving around the map now acting the maggot. If the game is so big surely enough content to keep you going for 2-3 days is not out of the question, I had nothing to do in the game after the first day and that was on ELITE.

Would love to get another code and play it on the PC to see how the controls stack up.

Advertisement