Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor recommendation

Options
  • 27-05-2016 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

After seeing some of the benches for the Nvidia 1070, pretty much sold I'll be having myself one of those.

I'm currently running a Sapphire R9 290. And my BenQ monitors while lovely, are only 60HZ. Here they are
    http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/GL2450HM/

So spec wise would want ideally that as a minimun(2ms response time etc.)

I'm looking for a 1080p 144hz monitor. 1440p doesn't immediately appeal to me.

I'm gathering a lot of conflicting stuff about GSync, but it appears there is more 144Hz monitors with Gsync/Freesync than without.

Through browsing other forums, have read recommendations for AOC, Dell and others, but guess figured I'd make a thread of my own as my specs might be relevant to the usecase, and that 1440p doesn't appeal to me

But then again, maybe someone can convince me the jump to a 1070 is also worth moving to 1440 ;)

I'll be keeping one of the BenQ's as a second monitor, and I guess it I'm happy with the new monitor I get, might grab a second one later in the year. So I'd also be interested to know how would TWO of your recommendations work. Assuming it's a lot more grunt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think if you have enjoyed your BenQ so much, stick with them. They have really good build quality and look so good (having looked at the high end monitors in person while in Germany).
    Something like the XL2430T sounds perfect for you.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MCX4Q2G/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3

GSync is a nice to have feature, but if you are hitting high framerates, the tearing is less and less an issue. And you will hit high framerates with the 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I think if you have enjoyed your BenQ so much, stick with them. They have really good build quality and look so good (having looked at the high end monitors in person while in Germany).
    Something like the XL2430T sounds perfect for you.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MCX4Q2G/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3

GSync is a nice to have feature, but if you are hitting high framerates, the tearing is less and less an issue. And you will hit high framerates with the 1070.

Thats one of the monitors I have on a list alright. Am I right in my understanding it's not Gsync, just 144hz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yup, just 144Hz. It also has ULMB (Ultra low motion blur) though. This locks the refresh rate to 120hz (i think) and then flashes the backlight rapidly so everything appears eerily smooth. If you drag your mouse across the screen, you'll usually notice a little ghosting. With ULMB, that's just gone. It costs half your screen's max brightness though, and is mostly only useful for twitch shooters like CS:GO. Still a really cool feature. One other nice thing is, that with a non-gsync screen, you don't have to go into the software, disable g-sync, in order to enable ULMB. You can just activate it as necessary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The best 1080 gsync 144hz [according to my research] is the one im using AOC G2460 PG and one of the better priced too.

Sitting beside my other monitor a 1440 IPS the colours look almost as good but the performance OMFG the performance is just incredible.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-g2460pg-g-sync-monitor,4005.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't think you need to upgrade your card at all if sticking at 1080p/144hz.

A 1070 is more than good enough for 1440p/144hz.

• Advertisement

After seeing the prelim 1070 reviews and info, now I'm thinking i should grab a 1440p monitor :D

Dcully wrote: »
    The best 1080 gsync 144hz [according to my research] is the one im using AOC G2460 PG and one of the better priced too.

Sitting beside my other monitor a 1440 IPS the colours look almost as good but the performance OMFG the performance is just incredible.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-g2460pg-g-sync-monitor,4005.html

Went with this monitor today. Appeared on overclockers under bgrades which Xenoronin kindly shared.

Will give some feedback when I get it, and then again when I get a 1070(since that settles that)

Just dawned on me that the monitor only has a DisplayPort input? So that's proprietary to Nvidia right? As in, I can't hook this monitor up until I buy my 1070?

EDIT: Crisis averted, my 290 has DP and I found a cable, calm down everyone, calm down

Some tips for ya with the monitor, give it 15-20 mins to warmup before you notice really nice colours,its known with this panel.
    Also i use the sRGB preset with the following setting in the OSmenu

contrast 50
    brightness 90 [some might find this too bright but i think it makes things look better]
    gamma 1
    overdrive light

Then in the NVidia control panel set colour vibrancy to 60-85% and your very close in colour quality to an ips.

When its dark i usually drop the preset back to normal as it will cut the eyes of ya and as i say i like it really bright and vibrant but its too much for when your in darkness or low light.

Monitor arrived to work just there.

Box was a fair bit bashed, but the monitor itself looks fine. No noticeable scuff marks or damage. Won't get it fired up until I get home this evening, but fingers crossed nothing pops up.

Powercable was included, just no DisplayPort cable, hopefully have one of them at home, but going to try dig one up here in work just in case.

Will post another update when I get home! So far, so good!

• Advertisement

How the **** did I not go 144hz sooner

I dont know what my eyes are seeing, but its amazing

TheDoc wrote: »
    How the **** did I not go 144hz sooner

I dont know what my eyes are seeing, but its amazing

Really is a game changer isn't it, I often see people saying 1440 60 hz is a better experience than 1080 144hz, they couldn't be more wrong, I have both and nothing compares to 144hz fluidity gsync is the cherry on top with zero screen tearing.

Really is a game changer isn't it, I often see people saying 1440 60 hz is a better experience than 1080 144hz, they couldn't be more wrong, I have both and nothing compares to 144hz fluidity gsync is the cherry on top with zero screen tearing.

Yeah its incredible, and I was doing mostly WoW stuff last night, so noticable in Wow. And I'm yet to even play most of my other games on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah its incredible, and I was doing mostly WoW stuff last night, so noticable in Wow. And I'm yet to even play most of my other games on it yet.

I find the same alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You can turn off all syncs. High Hz screens naturally tear a lot less.

But yeah high Hz is amazeballs. I'm only at 120 myself but I think the addition of lightboost makes up for it. Super smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I wish I could see it - I never understand what people are pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think a lot of it may be down to product brackets. There are plenty of entry level/cheapo 1080/60 panels out there and chances are thats what most people are used to, an OK IPS 1080/60 with a rather slow response. Then you spend a chunk more change on a 144Hz TN panel with great response and boom its like magic, but if you come from a good panel its a bit underwhelming.

ED E wrote: »
    I think a lot of it may be down to product brackets. There are plenty of entry level/cheapo 1080/60 panels out there and chances are thats what most people are used to, an OK IPS 1080/60 with a rather slow response. Then you spend a chunk more change on a 144Hz TN panel with great response and boom its like magic, but if you come from a good panel its a bit underwhelming.

I have to disagree here, I went form a Dell U24 1920x1200 IPS screen [easily one of the better and fastest 60 hz IPS screens] to my current AOC 144hz gsync and the difference is massive.

I also have an LG 1440 60 hz IPS and again the 144hz blows it away for gaming.
    Up to recently I had an LG ultrawide IPS 2560X1080 60 hz , same result.

My next monitor will be a 1440 gsync 144hz screen, I will never go back to 60hz.

Advertisement