Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft drink in (brown) glass bottles

Options
  • 27-05-2016 11:44am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Bit of an odd one, but I'm looking for a soft drink that comes in a brown, glass bottle... ideally 330ml and something I can buy a batch of (15 or so) for a reasonable price.

One that springs to mind is the likes of Curiosity Cola but if there are any other options - and ones in more 'regular' shaped bottles that would be great.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Does Cidona come in brown glass? I thought it used to?
    Maybe an expedition to your local pub could get ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Does Cidona come in brown glass?
    Maybe in pubs, but he said at a reasonable price, which you will certainly not get in a pub. Usually a good bit less than 330ml too.

I have only ever seen curiosity cola in clear bottles.

I am now curious what all this is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    Me too. Is it the actual drink he wants, or just a cheap source of some brown bottles for some other use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bundaberg Ginger and Root Beer comes in brown 375 ml glass bottles. It's not that cheap though, about €5.00 for four bottles (in Dunnes). It's very nice and the bottles are quite pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bundaberg Ginger and Root Beer comes in brown 375 ml glass bottles. It's not that cheap though, about €5.00 for four bottles (in Dunnes). It's very nice and the bottles are quite pretty.

Thanks - might have a look at them.
    Alun wrote: »
    Me too. Is it the actual drink he wants, or just a cheap source of some brown bottles for some other use?

Ha - nothing majorly exciting. I'm doing bottles of beer (with personalised labels) as favours for my wedding and need some non-alcoholic variants for the underage and non-drinkers in the room.

I was thinking of just getting some bottles and filling them with something but before I did that I wanted to see if there was an easier option that wouldn't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

flogen wrote: »
    I was thinking of just getting some bottles and filling them with something but before I did that I wanted to see if there was an easier option that wouldn't break the bank.
    aha, nice idea.

Some brown beer bottles have twist off caps, so you could refill with coke or whatever and recap. It does hold its fizz, I actually do it in smaller plastic bottles filling from 2L ones. Make sure the large bottle is very cold before filling and I would rinse the inside of the bottles before pouring in as it does not bubble up as much.

Lidl perlenbacher beer can come in brown or green bottles but is 500ml, and may or may not be twist off, you can usually tell by inspecting the bottle. Another option would be to recap beer bottles with new caps. Kids may be more impressed as it would be cracked open like a real beer, as I guess most soft drinks will be twist off. You may know someone who brews beer who would have a capper.

Cheapest capping device here is 10euro
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/twin-lever-capper-black-338-p.asp

The other resuable option is brown swingtop bottles. Like grolsch ones. You can buy empty ones or could buy some and drink them. Some pubs might set some aside as I do not believe they are returned to brewers, only craft beer type pubs would have them and homebrew customers might already have dibs on them.

As these are easily reusable people would tend to hang onto them both to use and as a memento of the wedding, I know I would. And kids love the swing top mechanism.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/amber-swing-top-bottles-brown-500ml-20pack-includes-swing-top-p-920.html

swingtopbottlenews.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

aha, nice idea.

Some brown beer bottles have twist off caps, so you could refill with coke or whatever and recap. It does hold its fizz, I actually do it in smaller plastic bottles filling from 2L ones. Make sure the large bottle is very cold before filling and I would rinse the inside of the bottles before pouring in as it does not bubble up as much.

Lidl perlenbacher beer can come in brown or green bottles but is 500ml, and may or may not be twist off, you can usually tell by inspecting the bottle. Another option would be to recap beer bottles with new caps. Kids may be more impressed as it would be cracked open like a real beer, as I guess most soft drinks will be twist off. You may know someone who brews beer who would have a capper.

Cheapest capping device here is 10euro
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/twin-lever-capper-black-338-p.asp

The other resuable option is brown swingtop bottles. Like grolsch ones. You can buy empty ones or could buy some and drink them. Some pubs might set some aside as I do not believe they are returned to brewers, only craft beer type pubs would have them and homebrew customers might already have dibs on them.

As these are easily reusable people would tend to hang onto them both to use and as a memento of the wedding, I know I would. And kids love the swing top mechanism.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/amber-swing-top-bottles-brown-500ml-20pack-includes-swing-top-p-920.html

swingtopbottlenews.jpg

Thanks for all of that - I think I'll just buy a box of bottles from Alpack and fill them with Coke (or something to that effect). Will work out cheapest in the long run - even with the cost of a capping device - and it means I won't have to spend time peeling off the old labels too.

Tbh I had initially hoped to go down the swing-top route for all of the bottles - but the extra cost put me off (and while I had planned on homebrewing in the end I opted to buy beer in bulk instead).

Thanks again.

Advertisement