Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OW swimming with healing wounds?

Options
  • 27-05-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

hi folks

just looking for advice on whether is safe to swim in a lake while wounds which are not fully healed are still present?

from looking at google the consensus seems to be no so i'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this?
    I was hoping to do a sprint next weekend but need to get into OW a few times before then just to settle the nerves.
    i've finished a full course of antibiotics and the blisters/wounds (ragweed burns) have more of less healed except for one.
    I sent a pic of the last remaining one to my doctor and he advised staying out of the lake for another week, that being the case i'll miss the race.
    i was considering those liquid spray on plasters or am I just chasing a lost cause?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you are asking for medical advice which cant be given.

i have seen people taping them up with plastic and tape but see the first sentence.

at the same time if you constantly pee in the wetsuit it should stay sterile...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Without advising on your specific position I have swam using k tape to secure plasters or bandages in the past while swimming. Can't say if it was sterile but kept wounds from opening up while swimming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Yes I've experience- sliced my toe open at a tri last year, went to the hospital and had it glued together. Doc said stitches would hold better, but if I rested a lot the glue might hold together. Did a lake tri the following week, with a lot of bandaging (sprayed the wound with liquid bandage, then waterproof blister bandages on top), it was bleeding at T1 so I put a fresh bandage on. Bleeding at the end too.

I disinfected the wound after the tri, and didn't get any infection (which of course has no bearing on whether or not you might).

Advertisement