Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I require 3 Nest devices in a 3 zone heating system?

Options
  • 27-05-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I am installing a new gas boiler heating system. 

There will be 3 zones - downstairs, upstairs and hot water. Downstairs will be underfloor heating.

Are three separate Nest devices required to control each zone?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Miccko,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Miccko wrote:
    There will be 3 zones - downstairs, upstairs and hot water. Downstairs will be underfloor heating.

Are three separate Nest devices required to control each zone?

Depending on the particular system, you would require at least two Nest Thermostats. The third generation Nest can, in the vast majority of cases, control hot water as well as heating. It works with on/off hot water tanks, OpenTherm-compatible system boilers and OpenTherm-compatible combi boilers. To learn more about the third-generation Nest's domestic hot water control capabilities, see here.

Generally, we would recommend you consider the climote device if you are installing a multi-zoned heating system. A single climote device would be all you need to control all zones independently, and you can do so via the web, its smartphone app or even by text message. You can find more information on climote here.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Advertisement