Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigeons as neighbours??

• 27-05-2016 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This may be better in the accommodation forum but I'll see if I get many replies here first. I would really appreciate any advice.

We are thinking of putting a bid on a house that we really like. All things about the house are great. But we just found out that the next door neighbour keeps pigeons. Now tbh, I don't mind pigeons In the general sense at all. However, I'm just not sure I want to be living right next door to an avery (wooden house) of them. Their shed is literally right next to our garden. The garden is small so very near the back of house we would be bidding on.

What would concern me are 3 things. Firstly the noise. We have very young children. And I'd be worried they would start waking up very early of the birds are constantly cooing in the morning. I think it would also drive me demented as we sleep with our window open to let the air in. Doe a anyone know if domestic pigeons are loud?

Secondly, I would worry about the bird droppings. When I looked out the back their didn't appear to be any droppings over what would be our side of the house. However, I'd hate to put some nice garden furniture out for it to get sh*t all over it. Never mind all the kids toys and then gettin for all over their hands all the time. I know the odd bird is fine as would be normal. But this is a shed of them living right next door. Do domestic pigeons normally stay on or around their own property?

Thirdly, I read there can be health issues due to pigeon dust. But I'm not sure if this is just a risk of one is on direct contact with them? My kids have bad chests and are prone to asthma so this would be a worry for me.

Any advice really appreciated. I really know nothing at all about the birds in the domesticated sense. I know their intelligent but any internet searches I do don't really answer my questions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

One of my neighbours at the back keeps pigeons and they have never caused me any bother. They are obviously very well cared for birds and nothing at all like the mangy ones you generally get around town. My bedroom is in the front of my house so I wouldn't hear them in the morning but they do seem to keep to a routine of coming and going at the same times. I usually hear them being called in around 6pm and sometimes they are in my garden on the fence and in the big tree at the back probably waiting for their dinner. They don't really make any noise aside from rustling their wings and they don't deter other birds from visiting. I usually take the dog out early and there is a house near the park where someone keeps birds that keep up an unholy shrieking at all hours - I do feel sorry for their neighbours but they are def not keeping pigeons!

Advertisement