Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage loses libel action by Verbruggen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's only 12k including legal fees reminds me of the time Reynolds sued a paper for liable and was awarded £1

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's only 12k including legal fees reminds me of the time Reynolds sued a paper for liable and was awarded £1
    No, it's €12k plus legal fees - there could be a very substantial amount involved (certainly for an individual, although Skins do seem to be prepared to cover that side)

Looks like SB misread the Irish Times story!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Disgraceful decision. Verbruggen was a cancer in the sport and doping was rampant during his "reign".
    Part of me hopes Paul appeals this but another part of me hopes he just moves on with his life.
    IMO all the things Paul said and wrote were correct and I cannot believe how a judge made such a crap decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

It's 12k swiss francs, not euros. The difference is the price of a very decent entry level road bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

What does this mean in practicality?

He is not a resident in Switzerland and their legal system has no jurisdiction over him or any EU citizen for that matter.
    Can he simply refuse to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The estimate is up to 18k euro total. Switzerland, a nice little country to be corrupt in it seems. For all its neutrality, maybe it does more harm than other countries the world over

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    The estimate is up to 18k euro total. Switzerland, a nice little country to be corrupt in it seems. For all its neutrality, maybe it does more harm than other countries the world over
    I really do not believe legal costs will be as low as €6/7k. That will barely get you a few hours of a decent lawyer's time. Don't know where SB got that figure from, but the Irish Times suggests there are costs of McQuaid and the UCI as well as Verbruggen to consider

Advertisement