Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEPA payment to Spain with Ulster Bank

• 27-05-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭

As I understand it SEPA payments are supposed to be free and arrive next day if you pay before 3pm or something.

But when transferring some money to Spain in the Ulster Bank a few days ago I was told it takes about 4 days and if I want it quicker then there's a 51c charge. (I had the BIC/IBAN number)

Checked out the Ulster Bank website and that charge is for non SEPA countries.

Is this just a teller mistake or is SEPA not fully implemented yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fritzelly wrote: »
    As I understand it SEPA payments are supposed to be free and arrive next day if you pay before 3pm or something.

But when transferring some money to Spain in the Ulster Bank a few days ago I was told it takes about 4 days and if I want it quicker then there's a 51c charge. (I had the BIC/IBAN number)

SEPA is fully implemented for EURO zone Countries.

SEPA is not "free", the rule is that foreign transfers are the same price as domestic tranfers, so if they charge 51c to tranfers to an local account, they can charge the same for international transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

fritzelly wrote: »

Yes, SEPA means next day payments to accounts in other SEPA countries provided your bank has implemented SEPA which the vast majority have.

Ulster Bank have still not fully implemented SEPA. Its shocking and difficult to understand how they are getting away with it. I think Ulster Bank are still doing the transfer via SWIFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,581 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good to know, thanks

• Advertisement

Someone, who is an Ulster Bank customer, should make a complaint to the Central Bank of Ireland about Ulster Banks SEPA policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

By law UB are obliged to have funds in the beneficiary bank on the next working day provided the transfer is completed by UB's cut-off time. And also the beneficiary are obliged to post the funds to the beneficiary account on the day it's receives the funds.

Legislator wrote: »
    By law UB are obliged to have funds in the beneficiary bank on the next working day provided the transfer is completed by UB's cut-off time. And also the beneficiary are obliged to post the funds to the beneficiary account on the day it's receives the funds.

Agreed. Problem is Ulster Bank don't comply with the law in this regard.

Advertisement