Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 and .243 cleaning

Options
  • 28-05-2016 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Since ive gotten my 2 new rifles ive decided i want to keep these barrels clean. :eek:

I have a single piece rod that suits the .22 and .243, and a proshot sear tip jag thats .22 cal. can this be used on the .243?

I have a nearly empty bottle of kleen bore formula 3 gun conditioner that ive use to clean the .22. I put the patch through 10 times wet and left for a few minutes and then put through another wet patch followed by dry patches until they came out clean and dry, and repeated the process again..
    Is this enough cleaning for a .22?

Next thing is, ive read about kg12 and kg1, anywhere I can pick these up online?

And what else should I be looking at buying for cleaning.. links to a site that sells everything i need would be helpful too :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garv123 wrote: »
    I have a single piece rod that suits the .22 and .243, and a proshot sear tip jag thats .22 cal. can this be used on the .243?
    There is very little difference between the .22 and the .243. All i do for mine is to use a larger patch for the .243 to make sure it is tight in the bore.
    I put the patch through 10 times wet and left for a few minutes and then put through another wet patch followed by dry patches until they came out clean and dry, and repeated the process again..
    Is this enough cleaning for a .22?
    I find running the patches wet all the time until they are clean is better. If you run dry patches there is a chance you can leave some fouling in the bore and the dry patches simply "push past" it. Keep running patches that are wet until they come out clean then run a couple of dry ones (literally two should do). Then two patches of Met. Spirits ones and two more dry patches.
    Next thing is, ive read about kg12 and kg1, anywhere I can pick these up online?
    I get mine from Lakellands in Mullingar. Not sure if they have them on the website but they do stock it.
    And what else should I be looking at buying for cleaning.. links to a site that sells everything i need would be helpful too :D
    1. Bore guide
    2. Nylon brush for thorough cleaning
    3. Clothes/rags for cleaning rod and catching drips
    4. KG1, KG12, Forest Foam, and Wipe Out. Covers everything from a quick clean to thorough scrubbing.
    5. 6mm jag for the Rod you have. About €6 online or in most shops.
    6. Copper grease for threading on your rifle (suppressor)
    7. Chamber mop/brush
    8. 1/2" patches for .22 & 1.5" patches for 243 (these may vary depending on the jag you're using. If you use the 22 jag for the 243 with a 1.5" patch you might find its still loose
    9. Lastly make sure the rod is turning as you push it through the gun. It should not go striahgt up the barrel without turning.

Have a read here and here for ideas on my process.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    There is very little difference between the .22 and the .243. All i do for mine is to use a larger patch for the .243 to make sure it is tight in the bore.

I find running the patches wet all the time until they are clean is better. If you run dry patches there is a chance you can leave some fouling in the bore and the dry patches simply "push past" it. Keep running patches that are wet until they come out clean then run a couple of dry ones (literally two should do). Then two patches of Met. Spirits ones and two more dry patches.

I get mine from Lakellands in Mullingar. Not sure if they have them on the website but they do stock it.
    1. Bore guide
    2. Nylon brush for thorough cleaning
    3. Clothes/rags for cleaning rod and catching drips
    4. KG1, KG12, Forest Foam, and Wipe Out. Covers everything from a quick clean to thorough scrubbing.
    5. 6mm jag for the Rod you have. About €6 online or in most shops.
    6. Copper grease for threading on your rifle (suppressor)
    7. Chamber mop/brush
    8. 1/2" patches for .22 & 1.5" patches for 243 (these may vary depending on the jag you're using. If you use the 22 jag for the 243 with a 1.5" patch you might find its still loose
    9. Lastly make sure the rod is turning as you push it through the gun. It should not go striahgt up the barrel without turning.

Have a read here and here for ideas on my process.

Thanks cass.
    Few more questions.
    Do I use both the kg12 and KG1 on both calibres?
    Can you get a generic bore guide for both or are they calibre and model specific?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sorry for the delay. Sister called up with a "small" job needed on her car.
    garv123 wrote: »
    Do I use both the kg12 and KG1 on both calibres?
    On the 243, yes. KG1 first, then 12.

On the rimfire, yes and no. The majority of 22s are lead so the kg12, as copper cleaner, may not be overly effective. It's why there is such stuff as rimfire blend that is specifically designed for rimfires. However it cannot do any harm.
    Can you get a generic bore guide for both or are they calibre and model specific?
    You can get a universal one with multiple attachments for the chamber/bore. A narrow one for rimfires and a larger one for centrefires. Thing is some of them don't really work all that well on rimfires so if you can swing it i'd go for a dedicated CZ one and then a universal one for your 243 that'll work on it and any other centrefire you get in the future.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement