Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for GPU upgrade!!

Options
  • 28-05-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

So I currently have a GTX 760 wind force edition. Not the greatest of cards but it has served me well the past 3 years. Been able to play nearly all my games on high setting on 1080p with acceptable frame rates.

But now with newer games such as warhammer total war (Love it!) I'm starting to notice a decent dips in frames, Sometimes down in the mid 30's on high. I like at least 50+, 60+ if its an FPS.

Now that the GTX 1080 is out would it be right thinking that the older but better then my current cards will be noticeably cheaper? I don't really have much money to put into great cards. My max budget would be about €250 but even then id like to avoid spending that much. I got 3 years out of the 760 for €200 at the time.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and also new sites to buy from as I heard my old favorite hardwareversand is gone to the dogs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Wait until June, AMD are unveiling their new cards on June the 1st I believe. Leaked benchmarks have them out performing the gtx 980 with lower power usage and they'll be priced in the mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any quaims about buying second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Any quaims about buying second hand?

Depends on the asking price really, If its considerable savings I would but for the sake for €100 or less savings no because id rather pay that little bit more and have the warranty if **** hits the fan :p
    Wait until June, AMD are unveiling their new cards on June the 1st I believe. Leaked benchmarks have them out performing the gtx 980 with lower power usage and they'll be priced in the mid range.

Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd hand R9 290's are now selling for 190-200. That would be a titanic upgrade on a GTX760. I bought a Tri-X 290 for 170 delivered off Ebay the other day.

GTX760 would get you about €100 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

2nd hand R9 290's are now selling for 190-200. That would be a titanic upgrade on a GTX760. I bought a Tri-X 290 for 170 delivered off Ebay the other day.

GTX760 would get you about €100 back.

Which R9 290 brand would you recommend? I know some can be quite noisy and have bad cooling.

Edit: I found this one on the german Ebay. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gigabyte-AMD-Radeon-R9-290-4G-DDR5-WindForce-3-OVP-/142005670108?hash=item21103290dc:g:aUgAAOSwR5dXR2Ts

I have always liked the gigabyte brand, Current card is one and have never heard it make noise even on full load. + this is the 4gb version which might help future proof it a little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd say look at Adverts as well as Ebay. Lots of them selling for around €200. Some with warranty. In fact, obviously it's very much the exception, but one even sold for €130 earlier :eek:

Should be able to get a GTX970 for the 250 mark as well, also a rock solid ugprade.

This guy has an excellent R9 290X model for sale - pretty sure he'd accept 200 or 220 ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd say look at Adverts as well as Ebay. Lots of them selling for around 200. Some with warranty. In fact, obviously it's very much the exception, but one even sold for 130 earlier :eek:

Should be able to get a GTX970 for the 250 mark as well, also a rock solid ugprade.

This guy has an excellent R9 290X model for sale - pretty sure he'd accept 200 or 220 ballpark.
    The only thing to watch out with that card is it takes 3 power connections. Two 8 pin and one 6 pin. Something to watch for if you have a power supply like mine that only has two 8 pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

1. Do you mean the GTX 950?
    2. Wait until June 1st, see what AMD have to offer with Polaris, see if it's worth the wait or if the price is right.

Advertisement