Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbest Forum

Options
  • 28-05-2016 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place, but I was flicking through the forum listings today and came across the gearbest hosted forum.

Seems a bit strange that there's a link straight to them after the crap in the Chinese Android Thread last year that got them added to the swear list and made any association and links from users a big no-no.

Any explanation for this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Not sure if this is in the right place, but I was flicking through the forum listings today and came across the gearbest hosted forum.

Seems a bit strange that there's a link straight to them after the crap in the Chinese Android Thread last year that got them added to the swear list and made any association and links from users a big no-no.

Any explanation for this?

Money talks. It's amazing how talk of morality and rightneous indignation gets thrown out the window when there is profit to be had.

Boards.ie - left wing capatilism in full flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1757

I wanted to be first to post in it but it won't let me. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Tut tut boards.ie
    Gearbest: Widest selection of cool and fun gear at the best prices online.

All for a shilling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

pieces of silver

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bit of a climb down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Whats the official line on this, only the farm takes up most of the day and in the evening i like a cup of tea, so i mightn't be able to devote all my time to the old Gearbest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

pieces of silver

Very disappointing if they really are going to accept them on boards, after the huge witch hunt that was devoted to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Very disappointing if they really are going to accept them on boards, after the huge witch hunt that was devoted to them.

Why?

There is a massive difference in a company paying Boards to advertise and the carry on ie shilling that members were involved in.

One is open and upfront.

The other is sneaky and underhanded.

Ye all know that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Why?

There is a massive difference in a company paying Boards to advertise and the carry on ie shilling that members were involved in.

One is open and upfront.

The other is sneaky and underhanded.

Ye all know that anyway.

But someone has to pay the shill and that someone would have been gearbeast ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Winterlong wrote: »
    But someone has to pay the shill and that someone would have been gearbeast ?

What's your point?

I don't know how it works but I think it involves members getting referral fees for posting bargain alerts?

If Gear best were telling members to post on Boards then its an issue.

If people were doing it on their own back then why would GB be held accountable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

What's your point?

That is my point. We dont know how the shill was working and that is why people are raising this as an issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Winterlong wrote: »
    That is my point. We dont know how the shill was working and that is why people are raising this as an issue.

If Gearbest have been forced to give up the shilling, and instead do the responsible thing instead, then it looks to me that they were dealt with correctly.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hands up guys, I set that sub forum up last week in Sponsored Threads and had intended making an announcement about it before it went live properly (it's to be moved) but ye obviously spotted it. As we similarly try with businesses who sign up an account to promote themselves either blatantly or via shilling, we have managed to convert Gearbest into a paying customer. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Can we still discuss their bad aspects? Cause they can be a bit scammy. I had to do one paypal and one visa chargeback after months of being blatantly lied to and fobbed off by their appalling customer service. I had considered asking the mods on BA could i post my experience on the sticky there to warn people off.

In any case please try to get them to do a Talk to, that would be some solid gold entertainment right there, better even than the TescoMobile one. :pac:

What's your point?

I don't know how it works but I think it involves members getting referral fees for posting bargain alerts?

If people were doing it on their own back then why would GB be held accountable?

They were offering rewards for people to post items on boards, encouraged people to shill and sent PM's to people encouraging them to post links and give positive feedback. Dav stated Gear best were the lowest of the low, banned any mention of them, which doesn't suggest they were an innocent party does it?

Euro signs changes everything.

Absolutely disgusted by this. Community my fu*ckin arse.

Are there any users banned during the big gearbest purge that remain banned? Presumably they'll all be welcomed back now too?

You can still discuss your personal experience.

Anyone who was site banned for shilling at the time is still banned. This new sponsored sub forum does not negate the fact that those users broke site rules by shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not sure how I feel about it, but thanks for the honest answer Niamh.

Had just glanced at it in A-Z listing which is how I found it, wasn't sure how old it was or anything

You can still discuss your personal experience.

Anyone who was site banned for shilling at the time is still banned. This new sponsored sub forum does not negate the fact that those users broke site rules by shilling.

But the reprehensible action (putting words in Davs mouth, but that was most definitely the sentiment at the time) of Gearbest is forgiven because they have money?

Pretty well sums up the new reality of Boards.

Edit: C'est la vie.

• Company Representative Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Gearbest.com: Lindell

Dear all,

How are you?

This is Lindell from gearbest. I am so sorry for what gearbest did here one year ago. We do made some mistake in strategy when gearbest was no more than one-year old. We were so eager to bring you all we had, by inviting people to share our product to you, but which came to you were all bad memories caused by our poor Logistics experience, customer experience.

People make mistakes, what matters is how he face it. Gearbest has been working hard to make improvements after what have happened here, and we have become a website that has 64.6 million monthly clicks today. Now we are confidence to cooperate with many other free speech website over the world, like hotukdeals.com, slickdeals.net, mydealz.de, dealabs.com and so on. We also here, would like to provide our better products and service to you.

We may not perfect yet. We still need to spare no efforts to fulfill these goals. And this is the reason why I, the representative of Gearbest, am here. If you have any question, you can just contact me and I'll try my best to help you.

Have a nice day.

All the best,
    Lindell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what the.

Is that a joke post?

This is like when someone gets sitebanned, then offers to pay a subscription to get unbanned.

Well, apart from the righteous indignation that follows in the prison forum I'm disgusted you'd offer to do that, go away for ever

Also, since when is Boards.ie a "free speech website"? We've been told since time immemorial that it is the opposite of a free speech website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Your not allowed shill. Posters got banned becuase they benefited promoting the products of the company. Company now pays a fee to boards and can post in its own guise therefore there is no one being misled as can happen with shilling.

People got banned for breaking the rules, a company now pays to use the site in honest transparent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Really? I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't The 1st of April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

duffman13 wrote: »
    Posters got banned becuase they benefited promoting the products of the company.

As to did the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Somewhere Lindell's pleading down the phone to a member of boards staff that he did what they asked and to let his family go.

• Company Representative Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Gearbest.com: Lindell

Thank you for all your response. People changed, and I promise we will never make the same mistake.
    On behalf of gearbest, I am here to solve all your problem with gearbest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

So are we allowed to post gearbest 'bargains' in other forums without getting banned?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

May want to get rid of the sticky warning so...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438229

Afternoon - I just wanted to expand on what I posted yesterday about this. This is not a new departure for Boards. We have always been willing to work with any company who comes on to the site to contact customers/potential customers - even if they do so in the wrong way - if they come to us and understand that they went about things the wrong way. If they are willing to do things the right way, then we're happy to work with them on that. Hopefully it will be to everyone's benefit. This is how some of our first Talk to forums came about and is how a lot of the Verified Rep accounts on the site also came into being.

Gearbest has been removed from the swear filter now as we're confident that their site will no longer be shilled here.

MarkR, thanks for pointing out that link, we'll get onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,551 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Will MCD be getting a sponsored forum soon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement