Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbest Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The rep posting selfies is a new approach, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Why, when I try to access the GearBest forum, am I taken to GearBest's website after being routed through an affiliate/referral link on ShareASale.com?

Who's getting a cut of my business on that referral link? Aren't referrals banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The rep posting selfies is a new approach, I have to say.

not a bad approach either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Selfies/backheadies, jeez, they sure do have a different approach than some Talk To forums! No stock/robot responses there.
    Why, when I try to access the GearBest forum, am I taken to GearBest's website after being routed through an affiliate/referral link on ShareASale.com?

Who's getting a cut of my business on that referral link? Aren't referrals banned?
    See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057430725

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Gordon wrote:
    See here:

But why is it being applied to a forum link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I've noticed when using the touch site, that threads/forums that have a url in the title will take you to that site... I don't think it's intentional. The sports direct thread is the same as it's titled sportsdirect.com.

Boards have had that referral route for all external links for a while now , not just for gearbest. EDIT: see Gordons post.

Ah right, sorry, misunderstood. I dunno, it doesn't look like it should eb doing that (doesn't do it on the desktop site). I'll flag this to the office, cheers.

Kenjataimu, I think you're right, it sees a url type text and converts naturally, don't think that should happen.

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I've noticed when using the touch site, that threads/forums that have a url in the title will take you to that site... I don't think it's intentional. The sports direct thread is the same as it's titled sportsdirect.com.
    Not getting that with a thread with that title, what thread do you mean?

The Gearbest forum is this link incidentally: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1757

Gordon wrote: »
    Not getting that with a thread with that title, what thread do you mean?

The Gearbest forum is this link incidentally: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1757

I'll see if I can find it.

Tesco voucher thread has an element of it http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055678367/11/#post99936626 but only when you already viewing the thread. The tesco.ie is clickable in the title .

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056519317/256/#post99914666 sportsdirect thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I think I fixed it - for the moment until HQ can have a look I've inserted a space either side of the dot in the forum name.
    Found on touch trying to navigate there I was being redirected. Please shout if you see this elsewhere.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Taltos wrote: »
    I think I fixed it - for the moment until HQ can have a look I've inserted a space either side of the dot in the forum name.
    Found on touch trying to navigate there I was being redirected. Please shout if you see this elsewhere.

Thanks
    Pretty sure all this was mentioned back in the skin links thread and left that way.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

As Gordon and Taltos have said, this shouldn't be happening. Taltos' temporary fix is stopping this from happening for now but we will look into it with the guys here. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why is this in the bargain forum, thought it was going somewhere else.

RasTa wrote: »
    Why is this in the bargain forum, thought it was going somewhere else.

No, it was always destined for the Bargain Alerts forum.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In the forum view on the desktop site, clicking on usernames always brings you to the user profile.

Except for Gearbest: Lindell, where clicking on the "Gearbest" in her username brings you to the gearbest website.

Shnakey af.

In the forum view on the desktop site, clicking on usernames always brings you to the user profile.

Except for Gearbest: Lindell, where clicking on the "Gearbest" in her username brings you to the gearbest website.

Shnakey af.

There is an issue with urls in a title, its automatically changing into a link. Its not supposed to be that way on usernames either, I'm guessing.

Taltos did a quick fix with the url in the thread titles. Looks like it happens with anything with a .com or .ie etc

If you click on the 'lindell' part of the username you get their profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'm a little bit confused as to what the forum is actually for?

As there's no special offers or anything.
    I thought it would be similar to the Richersounds.ie forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    There is an issue with urls in a title, its automatically changing into a link. Its not supposed to be that way on usernames either, I'm guessing.

Taltos did a quick fix with the url in the thread titles. Looks like it happens with anything with a .com or .ie etc

If you click on the 'lindell' part of the username you get their profile.

*edit* Misunderstood you

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why?

Why not in the talk-to forums?

It's a Sponsored Forum, not a Talk-To Forum. Different types of forums with different requirements. Talk-To forums cost more than a Sponsored Forum.

Dav explains the purpose of Sponsored Forums here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057322563

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Penn wrote: »
    It's a Sponsored Forum, not a Talk-To Forum. Different types of forums with different requirements. Talk-To forums cost more than a Sponsored Forum.

Dav explains the purpose of Sponsored Forums here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057322563

Fair enough but has anyone told gearbest this because currently it is being treated by them as a customer service forum with them asking people about issues and offering help

There has been nothing in it so far to indicate it deserves to be in bargain alerts, if you were setting up a new forum surely you would have some bargains ready to promote it

If I was Richer Sounds (a company that offer genuine deals and offers to Boardsies) I would be having a hissyfit about now seeing as they are paying a lot more for their forum and deserve access to Bargain Alerts more

Shnakey af.
    That shouldn't be happening either, it sounds similar to the issue above where clicking on the forum name on touch brought you to their website instead of the forum. We will see what we can do to rectify this one, thanks hullaballoo.
    As Penn has pointed out, it's not suitable for a Talk To forum; Sponsored forums are for smaller companies, similar to the previous Sponsored Forums we've had.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    I'm a little bit confused as to what the forum is actually for?

As there's no special offers or anything.
    I thought it would be similar to the Richersounds.ie forum
    I've asked if there are going to be any Boards-specific bargains/discounts so will let you know as soon as I hear something. Aside from that, companies can use a sponsored forum to engage with current customers (customer service), potential customers (questions about products/delivery) and let people know about any special offers/new products that they might have. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I've asked if there are going to be any Boards-specific bargains/discounts so will let you know. Aside from that, companies can use a sponsored forum to engage with current customers (customer service), potential customers (questions about products/delivery) as well as the special offers/new products that they might have. Hope that helps.

Well, Bargain Alerts is where people post up, well, bargains of all descriptions.

Gearbest is just a cheap goods website. I see what Boards.ie is getting out of it. I see what Gearbest is getting out of it.

However, I don't see what Boards users are getting out of it.....don't say access to cheap goods! We can access that ourselves without the need to go through Boards.ie.

Sure, you might as well headhunt a €2 shop for a sponsored forum and post it in BA.

The Gearbest sub forum seems to function like a restricted Talk To forum. What are the differences between a Talk To forum and a Sponsored Forum, for the client, not for us?

It'a not a bargain alert, it's not a Talk To forum.....stick it into the Gadgets forum in Consumer Electronics or somewhere.

I suppose the traffic that BA creates is the reason for having it here....moar punters.

Aside from a direct line to a customer service rep, there should be some discounts in it for the users.
    For the client, a Sponsored Forum has a restriction on how many threads they can have live at once. They usually only have one rep answering all of the questions.
    As I said, I have asked the question (via our sales person) about them doing discounts and/or special offers. I know that was the intention at the start so hopefully there will be something up soon. It is in their own interests to do so to encourage more uses to their forum and website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Aside from a direct line to a customer service rep, there should be some discounts in it for the users.
    For the client, a Sponsored Forum has a restriction on how many threads they can have live at once. They usually only have one rep answering all of the questions.
    As I said, I have asked the question (via our sales person) about them doing discounts and/or special offers. I know that was the intention at the start so hopefully there will be something up soon. It is in their own interests to do so to encourage more uses to their forum and website.

Ok,

So a sponsored forum is a restricted TTF.

Deals might come.

But it's placement in the BA forum is negating the purpose of the BA forum.

Am I going mad or wha'?

Thanks Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Hi Niamh, I was wondering will it be possible to get an answer to this question? This isnt me being against Boards for "selling out". I fully agree with the need to monitise the site but in this situation I think it'd be good to clarify the situation to the Boards community.
    Banned users
    Regarding users previously banned for shilling Gearbest - I already answered this earlier in the thread but I'll repeat myself - those people were members of Boards who violated on of the rules of boards. Ergo, they were banned and will remain so. Gearbest were not members of the site, they did not agree to any Terms of Use and they have now both apologised for their part in it and asked to work with us and the boards community.
    Hi Niamh, that's a fair point. But I was wondering could you clarify 1 thing? If there was proof that Gearbest had actually set up fake accounts on Boards in the past that were ultimately banned, would that affect them being part of the Boards community now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

What an utter turd of a forum you let on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

no offers for users after a week of having the forum.

Is there a minimum number or value of offers that these guys have to offer to the Boards.ie users, or are the users an afterthought after the lucre has come into the coffers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement