Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living next door to domesticated pigeons??

Options
  • 28-05-2016 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i posted this on the animals forum but didn't get any replies so I'll try here.

We are thinking of putting a bid on a house that we really like. All things about the house are great. But we just found out that the next door neighbour keeps pigeons. Now tbh, I don't mind pigeons In the general sense at all. However, I'm just not sure I want to be living right next door to an avery (wooden house) of them. Their shed would literally be right next to our garden. The garden is small so very near the back of house we would be bidding on.

What would concern me are 3 things. Firstly the noise. We have very young children. And I'd be worried they would start waking up very early if the birds are constantly cooing in the morning. I think it would also drive me demented as we sleep with our window open to let the air in. Does anyone know if domestic pigeons are loud?

Secondly, I would worry about the bird droppings. When I looked out the back there didn't appear to be any droppings over what would be our side of the house. However, I'd hate to put some nice garden furniture out for it to get sh*t all over it. Never mind all the kids toys and then getting it all over their hands all the time. I know the odd bird is fine as would be normal. But this is a shed of them living right next door. Do domestic pigeons normally stay on or around their own property?

Thirdly, I read there can be health issues due to pigeon dust. But I'm not sure if this is just a risk of one is on direct contact with them? My kids have bad chests and are prone to asthma so this would be a worry for me.

Any advice really appreciated. Or if anyone has experience living next to a bird shed? Would people here buy right next door to a pigeon shed? Not sure how many people here will know anything about pigeons but general advice on whether you would still be interested in the house or whether we should just leave it would be appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Is it a pigeon loft and do they have planning for it? Worthwhile to find out, pigeons don't make good neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Angry bird wrote: »
    Is it a pigeon loft and do they have planning for it? Worthwhile to find out, pigeons don't make good neighbours.
    Says an angry bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I wouldn't be sure of that information tbh. But I wouldn't want to cause I'll feeling either if they didn't have planning. I'd have to live next to these people after all. If people think it'd be a disaster living next to the birds I just wouldn't bid. It's a massive pity tho as the house and area are perfect! There's always something isn't there.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be sure of that information tbh. But I wouldn't want to cause I'll feeling either if they didn't have planning. I'd have to live next to these people after all. If people think it'd be a disaster living next to the birds I just wouldn't bid. It's a massive pity tho as the house and area are perfect! There's always something isn't there.... :(

Might be an idea to call into the pigeon owner and ask about it. If they're decent sort they will discuss the matter in a calm manner. If they get really aggro over it then probably not someone you want to live beside in any case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How many pigeons? And how close is the neighbour. Are we talking semi-d here?

When we were viewing houses a few years ago we found our dream house... Perfect location, plenty big, decent size garden, and we could afford it! Went for a viewing, and it was the home of a pigeon fancier who was no longer able, due to his age/health. He had a big shed out the back full of pigeons, and cages throughout the house.

Pigeons in every room. Some in good shape, some sick birds, and the odd dead one / skeleton. Place was covered in feathers, and droppings. I called the ispca after the viewing.

It was godawful. The smell. The noise. The damage they had done was extensive. Holes in plasterwork, rotted floors, they were up in the attic as well, and let me reiterate, the smell. I'm not exactly a delicate flower, slaughterhouses don't bother me, but that pigeon house... Shudder.

We spoke to his neighbours and they begged us to take the place and refurb it to get rid of the guy and his pigeons, but after we priced the amount of work it would take, we just couldn't take it on.

So anyway, I would think about the future. It's probably ok for the moment if the house is not attatched, but when the pigeon owners can't look after them well anymore it can all go very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My ex partner was big into racing pigeons and wanted to build a pigeon loft in our back garden. Despite having a big garden, the neighbours were not happy and we fell out with them and we end up moving house because of it. I felt a bit of a hypocrite because personally I would not like them next door to me.

We then moved to another area and he put up the pigeon loft. One neighbour did not mind and the other neighbour was not happy, but did not say anything. The pigeon loft was spotless and properly built(better than some ppls homes) and took a lot of cleaning every day(on his part) he was professional and big into it(they cost a fortune) I thought they were making noise, but maybe there were not, I was only imagining it because I did not like them.

We ended up splitting up over it, to be honest and are both much happier now.

My advice us though, if you have your doubts don't buy. If you move in and start going on about planning permission etc, it will be a disaster. Nothing worse than living with bad feeling. The stress for me was horrendous and made me ill. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My uncle kept domesticated pigeons. You could hear them when you were right next to the pigeon loft, but I don't remember them being very noisy or messy. Did you notice them a lot when you viewed the house? If not I wouldn't worry about it. I think chickens would be noisier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Yep. Sounds like you've answered your question, most people wouldn't like it either.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Really appreciate it! Just to answer some questions...

The houses are not attached. They are separate but it's a line of semi ds. So our house would be separated by a narrow laneway to the pigeon fancier. My garden would be small while there's is massive. However, the loft/shed is directly next to our very small garden only separated by a wall. Their house and garden look very well cared for. And the shed doesn't look a mess. I can only see the outside tho with the little bird hole and all the pigeons perching outside it.

I was thinking about calling into them and just asking a few questions about it as a another poster suggested. Surely they wouldn't mind that. I know I wouldn't mind if someone asked me.

But it really sounds like it could be a no go taking the advice on posters here :(

miezekatze wrote: »
    My uncle kept domesticated pigeons. You could hear them when you were right next to the pigeon loft, but I don't remember them being very noisy or messy. Did you notice them a lot when you viewed the house? If not I wouldn't worry about it. I think chickens would be noisier.

I didn't notice the first time we viewed tbh. But noticed the second time as the day was better we got a better look outside and over the neighbours wall. we could hear them when we were outside. Maybe I need to take another look.

• Advertisement

What was harder for us is that ours were semi'deteatched too in what would be considered very nice areas so it was a bit of "lowering the tone" I think a house with pigeons next door would be harder to sell also.

Actually I will echo what miezekatze said, you could only really hear them when right beside them.

Goid luck with it, but I would not get into that situation again, therefore a big no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I do know a woman who claimed she had awful asthma problems due to the man next door feeding pigeons (he didn’t own them, he just had a flock of about 20 that hung around the house all day waiting to be fed). He agreed to stop eventually based on the asthma argument. But she also hated the smell, and the noise, and the poo everywhere. I am not sure how bad her asthma actually was. But the pigeons were dreadful. If your kids have asthma OP you will definitely have to do a lot more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My nextdoor neighbour has pigeons and tbh, I wouldn't know if he hadn't told me. The pigeons have a coop but mainly spend their days in one of his trees. If I pay attention, I can work out the sounds of the pigeons coming from that tree. I've had the occasional bird poop on my washing, but only a couple of times a year and there are a lot of blackbirds and starlings nesting in the area so they could just as easily be the culprits. I sometimes see the pigeons in my back garden but I have springer spaniels, who are bred to hunt birds, so it's rare.

I'd say the main factors to consider are how many pigeons there are and how much space they have in your neighbour's land. My neighbour has several acres of land and I'd guess about 15 pigeons, but that's a total guess. Their coop seems pretty small compared to some pigeon lofts I've seen. We have a very big garden but the houses are pretty near each other and the pigeon coop (and my neighbour's chcken coops) are at the back of his house, so comparatively close to me. Maybe 30ft from my kitchen. At this distance, with the few pigeons he has and the space they have I have absolutely no issue with them. The chickens are more noticeable but aren't any problem either.

On the otherhand for many years my grandmother had a neighbour in her terraced house who kept pigeons. I don't know how many but he had a huge 2 story loft of them. They destroyed her washing and she cursed them for years. Then the neighbour moved out and took his pigeons and she said she missed them. Though I think she was happier that they were gone.

Hi thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! I'm more worried about the house now tbh than I was previously after reading this thread. It's such a shame. Im going to see the house again and ascertain how many pigeons there actually are. I drove past it today and saw 3 fly out of the coop and onto their owners house. I'm going to ask the owner whether they stay on their own property or what. I spose we could just invest in a cat. I'd say that would keep them away. But then if the cat went over to the coop I'm sure I would then be liable...

If they are proper racing pigeons then they will stay on their own property. My ex used to drive miles down to Kildare to let them out to train them and when they returned, they would go straight into their own loft. They never really hung around outside or went onto anyone else's property.

Also, as there will be straw, bedding, food etc, if the lofts are not kept meticulously clean, then they will attract rats and mice.

I've seen devastation cats can do in a pigeon loft, so I would not like to go down that road either.

If there are only a handful of pigeons then it won't be too bad. We had a load of the fckers!!! And they were very expensive (some worth over 2k) so if a cat had got in, it would not have been good.

The only thing I would say in favour of someone who is serious about pigeon racing, the standard of loft cleanliness etc would be far superior to a Jack Duckworth type set up.

Thanks for that. It might only be a handful for al I know. I'm not sure if they are racing pigeons but I will find out. Also, in a few years when the kids are a few years older we would want to get a small dog and a cat. Dog would obviously never be let out but obviously can't control a cat. We prob would even have to put restrictions on what kind of animals we get even living here if that's the case! Seems kinda crap. You buy a house so you can do what you like... But are at the mercy of others aswell so it seems.

Thanks for that. It might only be a handful for al I know. I'm not sure if they are racing pigeons but I will find out. Also, in a few years when the kids are a few years older we would want to get a small dog and a cat. Dog would obviously never be let out but obviously can't control a cat. We prob would even have to put restrictions on what kind of animals we get even living here if that's the case! Seems kinda crap. You buy a house so you can do what you like... But are at the mercy of others aswell so it seems.

Maybe I'm overselling it a bit so sorry I don't mean to put you off. Because I did not like the Pigeons and there were loads of them. Go and judge for yourself. If it's only a handful they might not bother you. But the fact you are even asking the question would make me think it dies a bit.

I would never buy a house next door to a pigeon loft unless they were detached and out the country (not in an estate) A lot of people would be the same. Maybe sound out the Estate Agent - has that loft planning permission? As far as I know it's needed to keep birds.

anewme wrote: »
    Maybe I'm overselling it a bit so sorry I don't mean to put you off. Because I did not like the Pigeons and there were loads of them. Go and judge for yourself. If it's only a handful they might not bother you. But the fact you are even asking the question would make me think it dies a bit.

I would never buy a house next door to a pigeon loft unless they were detached and out the country (not in an estate) A lot of people would be the same. Maybe sound out the Estate Agent - has that loft planning permission? As far as I know it's needed to keep birds.

No not at all. As I said, I'm really grateful for all opinions etc. And yes your right... I spose it does bother me. I mean, if prefer they weren't there... But just trying to work it how much they may affect us seeing as they are there. And if they would affect us enough to actually put is off this house. The estate agent said he never heard them... But he would say that anyway. Will ask around the neighbours aswell. Thanks again.

The estate agent said he never heard them... But he would say that anyway. Will ask around the neighbours aswell. Thanks again.

Ask the Estate Agent if there's planning permission for the structure in which they are housed and gauge his reaction. Play dumb and say, oh you as an ea must know the laws as you've come across all types of properties in your buying and selling! His reaction will tell you lots.

I've moved Homes a few times and sometimes because the property ticks most of the the boxes, you think you can live with something but once there it wrecks your head!!!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

anewme wrote: »
    Ask the Estate Agent if there's planning permission for the structure in which they are housed and gauge his reaction. Play dumb and say, oh you as an ea must know the laws as you've come across all types of properties in your buying and selling! His reaction will tell you lots.

I've moved Homes a few times and sometimes because the property ticks most of the the boxes, you think you can live with something but once there it wrecks your head!!!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Yes thanks will do. I think I'm trying to talk myself into it. But then know if we are successful it will probably wreck my head which isn't what we want in a new house. Just want to be stress free. Will update if I find anything out. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

We lived beside a pigeon fancier. On occasion the birds flew in through a bedroom window and shat all over the bed. Dirty yokes.

jelutong wrote: »
    We lived beside a pigeon fancier. On occasion the birds flew in through a bedroom window and shat all over the bed. Dirty yokes.

Really???? My brother is after saying to me he'd be afraid to leave the window open in case that happened! Then I just read your post!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Personally I wouldn't buy it. We have a pigeon fancier behind us not attached and his pigeons sit on our roof have come down the chimney a few times nesting in it. So I would avoid it like the plague if I'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If your gut suspects it may be a problem, then it will be. What often starts as a small concern can become bigger & more annoying over time.

We have trees at the front of our house & since the birds came back in the spring my car is destroyed with bird crap. I wouldn't actively choose to live next door to a pigeon coop I have to say.

April 73 wrote: »
    If your gut suspects it may be a problem, then it will be. What often starts as a small concern can become bigger & more annoying over time.

This...and you'll kick yourself for not trusting your gut instinct!!!
    People think this is the perfect house, theres not just one another will come along!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Deub

I had pigeons for years. They never entered in the house and left droppings on the washing.
    As said by one poster, go and talk to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Check with the council and see if they have planning permission for the coop as it is very hard to get planning now as the country cil and health inspector is involved to ensure the coop is the required distance from the house and meets exactly the planning and animal welfare regulations

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Check with the council and see if they have planning permission for the coop as it is very hard to get planning now as the country cil and health inspector is involved to ensure the coop is the required distance from the house and meets exactly the planning and animal welfare regulations

Even planning permission is not going to help op. I'd say no planning permission, however, unless you will go in, all guns blazing, it's useless.

Rather live somewhere else than have a row with your (new) neighbours over planning permission.

Fairs fair, you knew it's there, before you buy. If they've got away with it so far without harming anyone, leave them be. I would not buy, but would not try to push them out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

there is a pigeon loft in my neighbour's garden - but it backs on to the end of my garden , so maybe 20-30 metres from the house.
    You wouldn't know they were there. a couple of times a day the birds all fly around doing loops, there's about 40, and v. occasionally I'd see one or two on my lawn - these are beautiful birds btw, not the scrawny sickly pigeons you see in town.
    i'm not sure if the birds are kept locked up at times - there are lots of foxes abt (i'm in dub 12)
    pigeons tend to have a low coo-coo (afaik), you're more likely to be woken up by magpies screeching. There's no **** either. i had a load of starlings in one year and they just shat everywhere, and were pretty noisy. As long as your neighbours are nice enough, and they look after the birds, I'd guess you'd be fine with the loft, but go to the guy with your list of questions,& it might be worth getting the opinion of other neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't buy it. We have a pigeon fancier behind us not attached and his pigeons sit on our roof have come down the chimney a few times nesting in it. So I would avoid it like the plague if I'm honest

I grew up in the middle of nowhere (it was rural at the time- no longer though). We would get a couple of birds flying in windows every year- they get confused with glass. Birds with good homing instincts- such as pigeons were extremely rare- blue tits and other smaller birds a lot more common.

Its a simple fact of life- glass windows confuse birds (and many animals)- whether you live next door to a pigeon fancier, or not, has little bearing on the probability of a bird flying in a window.

For the record- I hate pigeons, seagulls, most members of the crow family- esp. magpies and some mamalian rodent vermin - I try to be rational about things though.........

Advertisement