Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living next door to domesticated pigeons??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I grew up in the middle of nowhere (it was rural at the time- no longer though). We would get a couple of birds flying in windows every year- they get confused with glass. Birds with good homing instincts- such as pigeons were extremely rare- blue tits and other smaller birds a lot more common.

Its a simple fact of life- glass windows confuse birds (and many animals)- whether you live next door to a pigeon fancier, or not, has little bearing on the probability of a bird flying in a window.

For the record- I hate pigeons, seagulls, most members of the crow family- esp. magpies and some mamalian rodent vermin - I try to be rational about things though.........

I didn't say anything about windows. This is just my experience having lived near a pigeon fancier over 30 years. We are not up on top of each other by any means but it's still annoying and I wouldn't live beside one well I wouldn't knowingly live beside one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sadie1502 wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about windows. This is just my experience having lived near a pigeon fancier over 30 years. We are not up on top of each other by any means but it's still annoying and I wouldn't live beside one well I wouldn't knowingly live beside one.

I now live in a village in West Dublin. A neighbour has a pigeon loft a few doors down. In the last 10 years- I've had 3 birds fly in open windows- none of whom were pigeons. My car is also constantly getting covered in bird crap- from seagulls though- not pigeons. I'd shoot the bloody things if it was legal to do so.

Well I'm just giving my tuppence I wouldn't live beside them knowingly. It was pigeons that came down the chimney pooped everywhere on a few occasions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Well I'm just giving my tuppence I wouldn't live beside them knowingly. It was pigeons that came down the chimney pooped everywhere on a few occasions.

Thats why most people put caps on their chimney pots- its entirely standard..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I think it depends how many he has and how well kept the shed is. I don't actually like pigeons, but our neighbors have started keeping pigeons only recently (long after we bought the house!) and TBH they don't bother me at all.

Our dog would chase them if they come in onto the grass, but other than that we just see them flying around occasionally (they're white, so actually very pretty much like doves).

OTOH he only has about 10, it's not a professional thing, and we have a decent sized garden (theirs is much smaller) so the pigeons are at the bottom of our garden not right next to the house.

Could you go in to the neighbour and see the place for yourself, see how he reacts and so on?
    And maybe bring someone else to have an outsider's view too? Someone who isn't emotionally invested in the house yet?

I definitely agree that you can't buy and then start winding the neighbors up with threats of legal actions - believe me, even when you were there first it's not an easy thing to do, never mind when you were fully warned in advance of buying!

But don't forget that you may have to make worse compromises : new people moved in not far from us, turns out the guy is a security guard of some kind and has a massive and quite scary guard dog. He raised the height of the walls but the dog still got out a couple of times at the start, attacked cows in a field (we're semi rural) which needed vet care - and to be fair he paid the vet's fees.

But I think I'd die rather than live next door to that with kids, I just wouldn't be happy having them out in the garden at all - and yet his neighbors were there long before him. Who'll buy their house now if they do decide to move?

So I think you need to look carefully at the situation - but also don't forget that an issue you know about can be easier to handle than something you discover later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Friend of mine bought a semi d, guy who bought next door kept pigeons. Total nightmare, bird poo all down her fence, noise was very disruptive and one flew into her kitchen and reeked some havoc.
    He also let them out once a day and they would fly in a circle above the houses, again v noisy and droppings etc etc. She made complaints as no planning permission but got nowhere. As someone else said - avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

We lived next to a pigeon owner when I was a child. I found the sound was a nice, quite relaxing cooing. I never remember my mother complaining about washing line messing. I don't think these birds left the coop actually.

Thats why most people put caps on their chimney pots- its entirely standard..........

Well it's my parents house I'm since moved out there is one there but it moved through pigeons nesting on it. We will have to agree to disagree on thus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ann22 wrote: »
    We lived next to a pigeon owner when I was a child. I found the sound was a nice, quite relaxing cooing. I never remember my mother complaining about washing line messing. I don't think these birds left the coop actually.

Our neighbour's pigeons seem to go in and out as they like, but they mostly hang around their garden, or sit on the telephone wires in the street. I quite like seeing them from a distance. I wouldn't want 40 or 50 of them though. I don't hear much noise from them at all. We have blackbirds who keep trying to nest in our chimney (even though we put a chimney cap on) and they make far more noise.

Advertisement