Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Restore - help required

Options
  • 28-05-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I bought a laptop recently but there were problems with it. I had everything setup and running Windows 10 and made a backup. Now I have received a replacement laptop which is the exact same model. This replacement laptop is running Windows 8.

How can I most easily install the windows setup that I had on the faulty laptop (which I still have in my possession for a few more days) on the new laptop?

I have created a system backup within windows 10 which is now backed up to an external USB device. Can this be easily installed on the new laptop even though it has a different operating system being windows 8. Alternatively, would I need to firstly install Windows 10 on the new replacement laptop before then trying to do a restore.

If there are any better solutions or any advice / tips that someone can share, I'd be very thankful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

If they're identical models then perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to swap the disks around.

Hi

I bought a laptop recently but there were problems with it. I had everything setup and running Windows 10 and made a backup. Now I have received a replacement laptop which is the exact same model. This replacement laptop is running Windows 8.

How can I most easily install the windows setup that I had on the faulty laptop (which I still have in my possession for a few more days) on the new laptop?

I have created a system backup within windows 10 which is now backed up to an external USB device. Can this be easily installed on the new laptop even though it has a different operating system being windows 8. Alternatively, would I need to firstly install Windows 10 on the new replacement laptop before then trying to do a restore.

If there are any better solutions or any advice / tips that someone can share, I'd be very thankful.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Good idea. Although I would be too confident of doing that without somehow messing things up given my limited it skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Good idea. Although I would be too confident of doing that without somehow messing things up given my limited it skills.

Literally a case of undoing a few screws. What laptop/PC is it? There's usually videos on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

It's a lenovo laptop. Will take a look at YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What was the fault? Would it be harddrive\ windows related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I don't think that's even needed OP I'd upgrade to win 10 on the new laptop first. Then restart and boot into system recovery mode pressing F5 on my laptop (may be different for lenovo) and you should be able to select a USB option, insert your backup and you should be raring to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Swap the hard disks is the route to go, as long as there not different models.

You can go on youtube a do it yourself, but if your not confident, you can always pop into a technician to do it.

Advertisement