Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value car seat for 3 year old?

Options
  • 28-05-2016 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Our son (3 since January lhas outgrown his car seat and needs to go up to the next level so we're gonna look around the shops this weekend. I presume it's stage 3 car seats we're looking for but we actually need 3! One for my car, my wife's and grandparents! But we may get decent 2nd ones for 2 of those cars. Can anyone recommend a good, comfy car seat? Is there any that recline as we do regular 3 hours car journeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

toby2111 wrote: »
    Our son (3 since January lhas outgrown his car seat and needs to go up to the next level so we're gonna look around the shops this weekend. I presume it's stage 3 car seats we're looking for but we actually need 3! One for my car, my wife's and grandparents! But we may get decent 2nd ones for 2 of those cars. Can anyone recommend a good, comfy car seat? Is there any that recline as we do regular 3 hours car journeys.

What weight and height is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

He's 38 inches =3.16 foot and 18.3kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Toby my guy us about that maybe a little taller. I still want him in a 5 point harness. The only two options I can find are a britax advansfix or a two way elite. All other seats use adult seat belt. Advansfix goes up to 36kg and is isofix. Both would be over €200 near €300.
    I need to buy 2 seats :(

Wow, that's expensive. I had a very quick look in halfords last weekend. The assistant was showing me ones that were around €50 to €80. Said they were all safety rated. Hoping to have a better look around today or tomorrow.

Wow, that's expensive. I had a very quick look in halfords last weekend. The assistant was showing me ones that were around €50 to €80. Said they were all safety rated. Hoping to have a better look around today or tomorrow.

Yes you can get much cheaper ones but the child just uses a seat belt. If you are happy to do that you have loads of choice! My guy only 2 years and 4 months!

• Advertisement

Obviously would like a good, comfy, safe one and as you said there's loads of choice out there. So I'm just looking for recommendations and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

18 kg is a big divider I feel for seats. You either want 5 point harness and erf ( which most would have from birth or 9kg) or you are looking at high backed boosters, which are forward facing and use adult seat belt.

The hbb are significantly cheaper but the erf is 5 times safer in a crash

I've been looking at what stage 1 to get, and I want to get one that will do til he's 4, so I won't have to by another. If you want rear facing, a mini kid or a two way elite both go to 25kg

The hbb are significantly cheaper but the erf is 5 times safer in a crash

Would he fit into a rear facing seat? And then we'd have to change again at 5 or 6 years of age?
    He's already in a front facing seat and loves looking around so I don't think he'd be too happy with an ERF. Much more expensive but if it's significantly cheaper, I'd have to consider it. I've actually never seen an ERF...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Erf is short for extended rear facing. Generally speaking 9kg up to 23/25 kg ( about 6 yrs old) so you generally invest in the 300 euro when they are growing out of the infant bucket seat and then don't have to buy another seat for 5 yrs. so although they look very expensive first hand they are great value long term including safety wise.

Funnily enough my boy prefers to rear face as he can see loads more out the back window!

The two seats we have is the axkid mini kid, erf to 23kg and light and neat. And the joie stages as our move around / travel seat. Joie only rear facing to 18kg tho. Then it's forward facing. Max price is 200 but often on sale.
    Britax are a great brand for rear facing too.

You could ask in tony kealys if you have one near you about the next stage for your son. It's unlikely he'd want to be rear facing after being forward facing already but you never know! Halfords and smyths generally don't have great training and give misinformation all the time. they've also been known to fit seats incorrectly.

• Advertisement

I've actually found halfords very good when it came to our first car seat, guy suggested a different, better car seat than the one we originally were planning on getting.
    What are best high back booster seats out there?

I've actually found halfords very good when it came to our first car seat, guy suggested a different, better car seat than the one we originally were planning on getting.
    What are best high back booster seats out there?

I think you would find it hard moving your guy to rearward after being forward. That's why I suggested those two....my preference being the advansafix as goes up to 36kg and harness to 25kg.

The HBB are cheaper as only use a seatbelt. Look at besafe or kiddy, britax. do you think your child will keep seatbelt on? You can get ones in smyths etc for less than €100 like the batman one but got very very bad results in which crash test.

What's the best hbb according to Which crash test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Check out this one from Halfords.

Halfords Essentials Group 123 Child Seat

€58. Five point harness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2 of mine have Kiddy seats,one because she is hyper mobile and escaped from all the other car seats incl her erf seat,the other ebcause of the Which review.
    As a cheap seat the Graco Nautilus elite is good.

What's the best hbb according to Which crash test?

No idea. I never pay much attention to which except I saw a big article on the batman seat the other day. My guy is still in an erf seat. I think you need to make sure your guy will be ok with seatbelt? Incarsafety said my guy who will be 2 yrs and 8 months in sept will be too young for a HBB. Something about his bones? Even though he would be past the 18kg mark. I don't think he would stay in a seat belt anyway. Car seats are expensive especially when you need to buy multiples. I will get mine from incarsafetycentre and they will give a 10% discount as I will have to buy 2. I know by end of the summer I will need to turn him FF :(

I put my older boy in a Hbb at 3 and a half (never used an effort seat for him) and he's always been fine with the seat belt. He's very tall for his age. We used a britax adventurer I think it is. I don't think the which reviews are much good for car seats (I've heard it said, I don't actually have any personal reasoning for it). There is a slight recline on it, but it's so slight it makes no difference. I'd be sure to get one that supports him well around the head and shoulders to keep him in place if he falls asleep.

Yeh,we do lots of long journey so I'd like one with head/neck support. I'm going to have a look tomorrow hopefully at this one
    http://www.halfords.ie/kids-zone/car-seats/child-car-seats/halfords-essentials-group-123-child-seat
    As recommended by a poster here .
    And read positive reviews of this one in Smyths- http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-booster/c-591/groups-2-3-4-11-years-approx-/p-9855/joie-trillo-group-2-3/

Reckon he'll be fine with seat belt but I'll test a few out with him before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

We got a be safe high back booster. It's great. It rotates in case of side impact and it attaches with isofix. Also the support around the back shoulders goes up as the child grows not just the head rest. It has a recline function but I don't find it great. I don't think there are any high back boosters that make sleep easy. We do have to push her head back in her seat after breaking some times. However she tends to find a good position after a few attempts and can sleep well for long periods. I am very happy with it as a high back booster.

sso wrote: »
    We got a be safe high back booster. It's great. It rotates in case of side impact and it attaches with isofix. Also the support around the back shoulders goes up as the child grows not just the head rest. It has a recline function but I don't find it great. I don't think there are any high back boosters that make sleep easy. We do have to push her head back in her seat after breaking some times. However she tends to find a good position after a few attempts and can sleep well for long periods. I am very happy with it as a high back booster.
    What model is it and where did you buy it from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2375458.htm

I'm looking into this. My girl is 14 kilos and 90cm and aged 2years and 5 months. She is currently forward facing and I don't think I'll get her rear facing now. I need to buy 5 of them!!! I definitely want 3 point harness. This seat converts to a booster seat. Am I stupid thinking that this will last me forever? Any opinions or advice welcome please?

This one looks good,isofix connectors at the back just like the Joie Trillo.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graco-Affix-Car-Seat/dp/B00RGCML8E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464506475&sr=8-1&keywords=graco+affix

Plus I have a £40 Amazon gift card which means it'll only cost me £9.99. I saw it in Mothercare yesterday so will give it a test run later with himself. I might even pick up the Joie Trillo in Smyths for wifes car and get this Graco one delivered this week for my car. Then try pick up another one for grandparents car!! Then do it all again when our 1 year old gets bigger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

And read positive reviews of this one in Smyths- http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/car-seats-booster/c-591/groups-2-3-4-11-years-approx-/p-9855/joie-trillo-group-2-3/

Reckon he'll be fine with seat belt but I'll test a few out with him before I buy.

I've got that one, i thought it was the best one in its price range. Never a bother with the seat belt.
    Its a better price on Toys r us.

This one looks good,isofix connectors at the back just like the Joie Trillo.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graco-Affix-Car-Seat/dp/B00RGCML8E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464506475&sr=8-1&keywords=graco+affix

Plus I have a £40 Amazon gift card which means it'll only cost me £9.99. I saw it in Mothercare yesterday so will give it a test run later with himself. I might even pick up the Joie Trillo in Smyths for wifes car and get this Graco one delivered this week for my car. Then try pick up another one for grandparents car!! Then do it all again when our 1 year old gets bigger!!

You've probably already researched this, but i think the isofix clips on the Joie are just to secure the empty seat in case of an accident. when the child is in it all protection comes from the cars belt. Im guessing the clips on the Graco serve a similar purpose.

Satriale wrote: »
    You've probably already researched this, but i think the isofix clips on the Joie are just to secure the empty seat in case of an accident. when the child is in it all protection comes from the cars belt. Im guessing the clips on the Graco serve a similar purpose.
    Yes,its the same on both the Graco and Joie.I know they're just clips but its an extra little safety feature and it'll stop the seat moving around the car when he's not in it.

Its a better price on Toys r us.
    Yes,its £39.99. Anyone know how much delivery would be from Toys R Us?How long does it take?

Yes,its £39.99. Anyone know how much delivery would be from Toys R Us?How long does it take?

I got a few more things that time, but looking at the email confirmation it was free.

i think you have to use use this postcode for Ireland
    ZZ75 0AA

It arrived within a few days IIRC.

I got a few more things that time, but looking at the email confirmation it was free.

i think you have to use use this postcode for Ireland
    ZZ75 0AA

It arrived within a few days IIRC.
    I just added it to basket and went to checkout. Filled in details(didnt use that postcode ) and its still coming in at £39.99 which about €53. Might just place the order with them so!Thanks for the tip!

Advertisement