Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunting game wanted

• 28-05-2016 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all

Is there anyone here that could point me in the direction of someone who sells game. Rabbit, duck, venison etc. Or if there are any hunters around the limerick/cork area I could get some from. Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Legally hunters can't 'sell' you any game etc due to food safety legislation so you will be relying on the generosity of the folks here.
    Wild game is out of season at the moment so you'll be getting frozen or farmed game meat (open to heated debates ). Wild rabbits, pigeons and venison is available all year due to open seasons, derogations and section 42's.

Seriously, you'll get quality 'game' meats frozen from most main street shops but these will usually be farmed in relation to feathered and surprisingly most wild venison put into the food chain here goes abroad.
    Wild Irish Game are a Co Kildare based supplier, but I know their wild stocks are low at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Reznovgeorge

Legally hunters can't 'sell' you any game etc due to food safety legislation so you will be relying on the generosity of the folks here.
    Wild game is out of season at the moment so you'll be getting frozen or farmed game meat (open to heated debates ). Wild rabbits, pigeons and venison is available all year due to open seasons, derogations and section 42's.

Seriously, you'll get quality 'game' meats frozen from most main street shops but these will usually be farmed in relation to feathered and surprisingly most wild venison put into the food chain here goes abroad.
    Wild Irish Game are a Co Kildare based supplier, but I know their wild stocks are low at this time of year.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I wasn't aware of all the regulations I don't shoot myself. I feed a barf diet to my dogs and really what I'm looking for is food for them. I had a look on wild Irish game and the prices seemed high for what I needed it for. Frozen is no problem if I could find it at a reasonable price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I feed a barf diet to my dogs and really what I'm looking for is food for them.

Have you looked at Slaney Pet Foods? They sell raw meat for dogs and have pheasant, venison and rabbit. It is seasonal though and imported from the UK, but good value and quality.

http://slaneypetfoods.ie

Have you looked at Slaney Pet Foods? They sell raw meat for dogs and have pheasant, venison and rabbit. It is seasonal though and imported from the UK, but good value and quality.

Yes I got it from them a few years ago. The food smelled real bad though, even the beef. It's hard to find good food these days without paying a fortune for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

There's a lad in Wiclow who sells Meat for dogs. I can't think of the name of the company now but his name is Connor and the meat is very good quality. I used to buy it from him, cheaper than slaney to. I'll try find his details again.

Double post

ALANC81 wrote: »
    There's a lad in Wiclow who sells Meat for dogs. I can't think of the name of the company now but his name is Connor and the meat is very good quality. I used to buy it from him, cheaper than slaney to. I'll try find his details again.

Thanks a lot.

http://dogsfirst.ie/cost-of-raw-dog-food/
    Here's a link to Connor's site. That link doesn't show half of what he sells. Give him a ring he's helpful on the phone.

Thanks for the help Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tikka391

Hi there, "call to your local butcher".
    I have 4 dogs and I Feed them totally raw food diet. I have a small butchers beside me, I went into him a number of years ago and asked him to separate the paper and plastic and other stuff out of his meat bins and I take all of his meat trimmings and other meat waste from the butchers. It is all brilliant stuff from leftover chicken breasts and sausages and other meat products to all of this trimmings beef lamb pork etc. It works but well for both of us, I get great food stuff from my dogs, he saves a fortune on waste charges from not having to dispose of the meat. I get about half a black bag every week I just take it home separate into smaller daily portion bags and freeze and take out as required. I would think most butchers would be of the opinion that you would take all or nothing so if you have not got enough dogs to take all his might not suit, But my butcher is just the right size to suit the number of dogs I have so so I can take All. This might help you and best of all it is totally free. I also could not believe when I started feeding this stuff to my dogs how little droppings to were in the yard it's unbelievable the difference in how much poops the where with the dog nuts compare to the raw food nearly nothing now. I drop him off A bottle of whiskey and a bottle of wine and a few chocolate for's wife at Christmas and he is quite happy with that.
    Just something to think about if you can get a free why not we all have enough bills to pay.

I'm still looking for any of you that hunt rabbits etc. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

http://slaneypetfoods.ie
    That is way over priced.im getting it a lot cheaper then that elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

the meat they supply is "human grade quality". so you could eat it. Normally pet food is from meat not fit for human consumption. As a farmer lots reasons for that. Most people probably store this raw pet food meat in normal fridge or maybe another fridge in their kitchen. If you do you would not want condemned meat in your kitchen/fridge.

Rabbits or duck would be great if I could get them. I'd happily pay someone who hunts them.

Hi all.

I'm still looking for rabbit, deer, pheasants and duck etc if anybody knows where to get them. Send me a pm thank you

Advertisement