Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Restarts after copying files from C: -> HDD (Harddisk_Drive)

Options
  • 28-05-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I had trouble with my laptop in restarting when doing the above, as the dreaded BSOD would show up, as i tried using CCcleaner to clear up any files & Defraggler (as i'd heard it was faster than windows defrag)

But both above were stalling/freezing up?

So instead i used the Windows one, i've included a pic below after Defrag, as after a while it seemed to go ok!

I wonder was it that it was too much for moving files over to a HDD (9GB)

Afaik, a C: Drive has to be about 13% to be Defragged?
    as it was about 10% beforehand, until i deleted some stuff.

I assume it's only a C:Drive that needs to be defragged,
    does a HDD need it? as i only analyzed the G: Drive

What's the scheduled Defragmentation i noticed above, must be turned on by default?

Also what's the difference btwn Expansion & HardDiskDrive, it was told to once, but i can't remember it now sadly.

Thanks for any tips or help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Hi Patty-O W9qebGU.png

It'll make a difference to speak to you about something else other than Tubberity.

Neither the defrag or Ccleaner will CAUSE a blue screen. But they may trigger a BSOD by accessing a failing part of the hard disk. And from what you describe I would be worried that the disk is about to fail. Have you had any messages about the hard drive, or checkdisk running frequently?

regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes, I would be worried about the HDD too. Before doing anything more, copy off all your important documents/photos/music etc.

Advertisement