Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH distance from Exchange / Max speed

Options
  • 28-05-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am on a the map to get FTTH.
    I am at the outter limit of the blue line, approx 4km from the exchange.

If I was to subscribe to a 1Gb line, would the actual speed attainable be signifiganly reduced due to the distance ?
    Or will fiber maintain its achievable speed over any distance.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi mikeecho,

The eFibre service has a distance of 2km range for the service to work so you will more than likely not be able to avail of the service if you are 4km. I wouldn't be able to guarantee this.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to clarify this until the address is tested. The sales team on 1800 503 303 will be able to arrange this for you.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

FTTH (as opposed to VDSL which eFibre is) will work full rate either up to 10 or 20 km from the distribution point depending on the technology used.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

Would be handy if the Eir personel actually read a customers query before copy/pasting an answer that has nothing to do with the original question.

But yes, fibre directly to the house doesn't suffer from the same limitations on distance as copper so at 4km you'd get the full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks MackMack

Thats exactly what i was asking , the fiber is due to pass my house.
    I'm out in the country so there is no cabinate, just an exchange a few km away.

My local exchange is due to be completed in the next 6 weeks (i read 18 months) , and then i just have to wait for the fiber to be strug between the poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

mikeecho wrote: »
    Thanks MackMack

My local exchange is due to be completed in the next 6 weeks (i read 18 months) , and then i just have to wait for the fiber to be strug between the poles.
    Unfortauntely until the service is available we cannot offer you clarification on this  mikeechoas the speed will vary depending on the cable path your line takes from the exchange to your home.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

Thanks MackMack

Unfortauntely until the service is available we cannot offer you clarification on this  mikeechoas the speed will vary depending on the cable path your line takes from the exchange to your home.

-Pamela 
    Maybe try reading his original post properly, he is asking about fibre to the home, not efibre.

MackMack wrote: »
    Thanks MackMack

-Pamela 
    Maybe try reading his original post properly, he is asking about fibre to the home, not efibre.
    We cannot offer clarification on either service until they are available  MackMack.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks MackMack

-Pamela 
    We cannot offer clarification on either service until they are available  MackMack.

-Pamela 
    But surely the technical aspects of FTTH are the set in stone.

either it works or it doesnt.

IF fiber is running past my house, to the pole directly outside my house, and the connection comes directly from the pole directly outside my house. 

And my connection will come directly from this fiber connection from the pole directly outside my house, surely there must be some tech specs to suggest an expected speed.

Thanks MackMack

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    But surely the technical aspects of FTTH are the set in stone.

either it works or it doesnt.

IF fiber is running past my house, to the pole directly outside my house, and the connection comes directly from the pole directly outside my house. 

And my connection will come directly from this fiber connection from the pole directly outside my house, surely there must be some tech specs to suggest an expected speed.
    Each line is individual and can take different cable paths to the home  mikeecho due to this we cannot offer clarification.
    As soon as the line is capable of the service we will be able to test the line for you and give you a better idea of the speeds it is capable of.

-Pamela 

Advertisement