Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running buggies?

Options
  • 28-05-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

Just starting to get back to some running now after the birth of my son and looking to get a running buggy for when he's big enough for it (2 months now so a while off yet!). Just wondering if anyone had any advice? It would be mostly used on relatively flat, smooth paths (Regent's Park etc). We have a Baby Jogger City Mini as his main buggy but that's not going to do for running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I have a double running buggy - maybe not what you need, but if there was a single version of it, I'd recommend it. Baby Jogger Performance Double is the one I have. Works on beach, grass, trails, but best on smooth surfaces :)

I use it regularly and the twins last up to about 2 hours in it before getting bored... Great investment.

Go for a fixed front wheel - seems a bit odd in theory if going around corners, but believe me it is better. For a tight corner you can lift lift the front and direct it around the corner (easy to get the hang of), but 90% of corners can be done with a gentle push on one side of the handlebar.

Pumped wheels vs. hard wheels.

Must have a tether, brakes.

Get one with decent sun cover, adjustable straps, plenty of pockets etc.

If you want to run in winter, look at rain covers, foot muffs (I dont have either).

The one I have has plastic window flaps on the top of the canopy so you can see the babies.

Adding: Links below; and also my babies were nearly 1 year old when I used it for the first time.

http://kids.productwiki.com/baby-jogger-performance-double/

http://kids.productwiki.com/baby-jogger-performance-single/

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

I have a mountain buggy all terrain, it has 16 inch rear wheels, but also comes with 12 inch wheels if you want to use it around town or whatever. It has a hand brake if you are going down steep hills or need to slow down. It has a pretty good hood, but you can get the uv/rain cover if you need to as well.
    I'm very happy with mine, I got mine from eurobaby in Dublin, but I've noticed more shops selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 orlaalro

I have an out n about nipper sport v4. It's great, very light and smooth. We had a problem with the foot break but sent it back and they fixed it. We bought it in tony kealys. It's great running on flat , where I run its a bit hilly and it's a trail the buggy can handle it buts it's a good workout as you feel the weight when buggy is on flat it flies along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a Baby Jogger Summit which is great for all kinds of terrain. The front wheel can be locked and released easily with a switch below the handle bar, or you can lock it in a slightly more forward position as well with a different switch on the front wheel. It isn't the lightest buggy around, but is very sturdy, even survived Ryanair baggage handlers.

If you are going to be using the buggy for only running and only on flat tarmac surfaces then probably look one with thinner tyres and permanently locked front wheel. If you are going to be doing off road walking or running or using it for getting around town, although it does take up a lot of space trying to negotiate it around shops, then something along the likes of the Baby Jogger Summit would be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

@Robinph - we would be just using it for running as big buggies don't suit getting around in London at all. Would mostly be running in parks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Most of the running around the London parks shouldn't require full off road type tyres I don't think, so one with thin but large diameter racing bike wheels would be what you'd be after and with a properly fixed front wheel.

Advertisement