Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final | Atlético V Real KO 7.45 - Mod Waning in OP - stay on topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

If we picked 11 from this thread we would probably beat Malmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That's not the headline here, granted it's correct and speaks volumes but the headline is Ronaldo scores penalty(!). He's the penalty king, the Malmo destroyer.

who did messi score against in the final?

oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

who did messi score against in the final?

oh wait

La Liga. Copa Del Rey. World Club Cup.

Last season a treble.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I wonder was Ronaldo's knee tendonitis playing up again tonight. Never looked as if he was moving freely at all.

Shanee. wrote: »
    If we picked 11 from this thread we would probably beat Malmo

I've got quite a bit of pace if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

I've got quite a bit of pace if that helps.

Would you play on the wing? Anyone taller than 6'4. Need a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Last season a treble.

Enjoy.

Seriously? seriously.....

You know Richard Sadlier once scored in the UEFA European U18 third place play off? Some achievement that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's the one man show again and you lads fall for it every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Shanee. wrote: »
    Would you play on the wing? Anyone taller than 6'4. Need a striker

6'2 with a turn of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Last season a treble.

Enjoy.

I'm glad too see that there's people who see the World Club Cup as a major honour,the people who just dismiss it only do so as there not likely too ever see there side in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Haters gonna hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I really thought it was a poor game.

As much as I respect Simeone and Atletico they really are a tough spectacle to watch. What a difference it would have made to see a Barca/Real Madrid/Bayern/PSG duo battle it in the final.

I can't think of one piece of play where Atletico played a string of passes to split through the Real defence into the box. Every single time it was a cross in and hope for the best.

Barca rarely, if ever try the 'cross it and hope'. They are a joy to watch in fairness in building a piece of possession together and making something of it, and that it is proper football.

Utmost respect for the job Simeone has done and for Atletico but that match was an awful struggle to watch for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

callaway92 wrote: »

As much as I respect Simeone and Atletico they really are a tough spectacle to watch. What a difference it would have made to see a Barca/Real Madrid/Bayern/PSG duo battle it in the final.

I can't think of one piece of play where Atletico played a string of passes to split through the Real defence into the box. Every single time it was a cross in and hope for the best.

Barca rarely, if ever try the 'cross it and hope'. They are a joy to watch in fairness in building a piece of possession together and making something of it, and that it is proper football.

Utmost respect for the job Simeone has done and for Atletico but that match was an awful struggle to watch for me.

Well then you shouldn't have watched it. Barca tried the long ball to Pique against Atletico in the quarters and they failed at it. Why are they even mentioned here, they went out in the last 8?

Think simeone has hit a ceiling with atletico now, but that ceiling is very high. Want the club to push on, but that's nigh on impossible given the resources against them. Will have to wait and see what next year holds now. No complaints, penalties a lottery. Clattenburg had a good game despite what I felt would happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is there any doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is the best footballer to have graced the green canvas in the last tenth of a century. 3 champions league titles, hundreds of goals and assists, multiple clubs, a God amongst men. He will surely go down as the greatest ever, possibly the greatest that ever will be. We are privileged to have seen Him perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

No idea what oblak was at unless he was banking on someone trying to panenka him and he making them look like an eejit. Not the best final and it sickens me to see Pepe win it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy to think Real Madrid gave that pleb benitez a job. Was inevitable that he was going to be sacked.

Poor final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is there any doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is the best footballer to have graced the green canvas in the last tenth of a century. 3 champions league titles, hundreds of goals and assists, multiple clubs, a God amongst men. He will surely go down as the greatest ever, possibly the greatest that ever will be. We are privileged to have seen Him perform.

Looked old last night, struggled most of the game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looked injured last night you mean.

I have no doubt he is carrying an injury, but think he had to play whether he was fit or not. There's no way he wasn't going to start last night, injured or not. But he struggled all game, and was like a man down at times.

I really think Madrid should cash in this summer, he is at the point now where he is struggling to get over this injury, it's only going to get worse as he gets older. His value will start to plummet soon, and this could be the last summer he commands a big transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This debate has been done to death, messi is the superior player. This notion that ronaldo is a big game player is a myth, messi always performs on the grandest stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Did you even see the goal?

4 or 5 one touch passes that opened up the real defence finished off with a nice goal.

They were the better team, they passed it around lovely and certainly weren't hoofing the ball into the box.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    This debate has been done to death, messi is the superior player. This notion that ronaldo is a big game player is a myth, messi always performs on the grandest stages.

In fairness, the mods have posted a warning about this stuff.

You can't just ignore it to make your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In fairness, the mods have posted a warning about this stuff.

You can't just ignore it to make your point.

Didn't even see it, apologies

• Is there any doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is the best footballer to have graced the green canvas in the last tenth of a century. 3 champions league titles, hundreds of goals and assists, multiple clubs, a God amongst men. He will surely go down as the greatest ever, possibly the greatest that ever will be. We are privileged to have seen Him perform.
    0dHrzGC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

rob316 wrote: »

//Didnt realise their has been a mod warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's in the thread title lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know the odds are heavily stacked against him but has anybody ever seen a worse goal keeper performance in a shootout?

The slow motion fall to his right was a serious case of "showing his hand", the last 3 Real peno takers knew by then they just had to get it on target to score - no pressure on them whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

With 11 it's hard to see any team catching them ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Is there any doubt that Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is the best footballer to have graced the green canvas in the last tenth of a century.

This sentence wins the boards.ie balon de merde 2016 for the most pretentious, comically awful crime against the English language. How does one grace a canvas, even a metaphorical one? And 10th of a century? It's called a decade. Did you think using a fraction of a century would give it some kind of gravitas? It didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not many people are that pompous on purpose guys. I'm pretty sure he was ripping a certain poster in here and you guys missed it. You know who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's the one man show again and you lads fall for it every time.

A one man show and that man is Ronaldo, yet again scoring goals in champions league finals and proving that even injured he remains the best in the game.

Kirby wrote: »
    Not many people are that pompous on purpose guys. I'm pretty sure he was ripping a certain poster in here and you guys missed it. You know who.

Kirby are you saying that poster was deliberately trying to wind up another poster? Is that what you're telling me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

missed Alicia last night, couldn't hear the music, was it that bad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Originally Posted by Andersonisgod viewpost.gif
    It's no exaggeration to say I do not remember a less deserving champion team of Europe. Some might say Chelsea 2012 but they did have to get past Pep's Barça and a formidable Bayern Munich. This Real Madrid side had the easiest bunch of 2 legged ties in can remember and won it on penalties. They have the trophy but the best team in Europe they most certainly are not.

Would you give over!!!

Barca had a failed season.

Real Madrid have just won the most prestigious trophy in club football for the eleventh time.

Real Madrid miles ahead of barca .

Would you give over!!!

Barca had a failed season.

Real Madrid have just won the most prestigious trophy in club football for the eleventh time.

Real Madrid miles ahead of barca .

I'd do you the courtesy of biting but your bait is so silly I wouldn't even give it a nibble. Must try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Surely Isco and/or both the Rodriguez's will p*ss off this summer. They're far too talented to be bench players, even on a Real Madrid bench. Lucas Vazquez has been a great find and I can only see him getting more game time next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A penalty in a penalty shoot out rectifies a no show for 120 minutes, honestly how do some people watch football?

With our eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

How good is carrasco lads, and someone said he's not going to start against us? That mertens is fairly terrible like

The only positive in a dour match. Full of attacking purpose and roasted Danilo. Should have started

I really cannot understand peoples negativity about this game.

This is the biggest game of all , a lot of the players and coaches will never get another chance in a champions league final and then people seem to expect champagne football and both teams going gung ho for it.

In the last 20 years how many champions league finals would you actually consider to be really good games (taking away the occassion from consideration), I'd say maybe 2 or 3 at most. Finals in all sports tend to be quite tense and teams not wanting to take too many chances.

I thought it was a decent game tense and close and some good football played by Atletico.

What do people really expect when we've seen major finals like this over and over again.It is not a coincidence and in no way reflects badly on either team.

Mushy wrote: »
    Well then you shouldn't have watched it. Barca tried the long ball to Pique against Atletico in the quarters and they failed at it. Why are they even mentioned here, they went out in the last 8?

Think simeone has hit a ceiling with atletico now, but that ceiling is very high. Want the club to push on, but that's nigh on impossible given the resources against them. Will have to wait and see what next year holds now. No complaints, penalties a lottery. Clattenburg had a good game despite what I felt would happen

Is this throwaway comment for real? It was the Champions League final, of course I was going to watch it. Jesus Christ . . .

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did you even see the goal?

4 or 5 one touch passes that opened up the real defence finished off with a nice goal.

They were the better team, they passed it around lovely and certainly weren't hoofing the ball into the box.

They passed the ball out to the right hand side of the box, whipped it in and their man at the back post got ahead of Real's last man. That isn't 'opening up' the defence.

Yes I did see the goal by the way, thanks for asking.

• Advertisement

They say Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is not a big game player, yet he scores the winning goal in a champions league final.

In the last 20 years how many champions league finals would you actually consider to be really good games (taking away the occassion from consideration), I'd say maybe 2 or 3 at most. Finals in all sports tend to be quite tense and teams not wanting to take too many chances.

I'd have to disagree there. Last year's final was brilliant, the second half as good a half in any final. Dortmund/Bayern was a great game all throughout. Barcelona's win against United in 2011 was another super game. The first all Madrid final was brilliant until extra time. That's nearly every final from the last 5/6 seasons alone. When you throw in the likes of United/Chelsea, Liverpool/Milan you're well on your way to a top final for every two years.

They say Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is not a big game player, yet he scores the winning goal in a champions league final.

The match ended in a draw...

Andre 3000 wrote: »

Did Atletico recieve a trophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

Is this throwaway comment for real? It was the Champions League final, of course I was going to watch it. Jesus Christ . . .

OK, I was drunk so I'll take it back, but what would you expect from atletico? No point complaining about it, that and they played better football for large parts of the game.

I'd have to disagree there. Last year's final was brilliant, the second half as good a half in any final. Dortmund/Bayern was a great game all throughout. Barcelona's win against United in 2011 was another super game. The first all Madrid final was brilliant until extra time. That's nearly every final from the last 5/6 seasons alone. When you throw in the likes of United/Chelsea, Liverpool/Milan you're well on your way to a top final for every two years.

Was the United Chelsea really that good a game (taking away the occassion) ?

I thought the first All Madrid final wasn't all that disimilar to last night although I may not have a clear enough memory of it.I'd say Liverpool Milan was a good game and Dortmund Bayern was pretty good last years final was good aswell (although I don't think I ever thought Juve would win it).

1999,2000,2001,2003,2004,2007 were all pretty poor games in terms of enjoyment.I don't think 2006 was all that great either, 2009 and 2011 were just complete beat downs (no disrespect to Man Utd) and 2010 was really boring and 2012 was a dreadful game aswell.

If you take away the importance of the occassion in those cases I'm not sure many finals would be considered great games.

lol such a stupid statement so there was no winner last night

That's not what I said.

Officially games that are drawn after extra time are counted as draws.Penalty shootouts are just tie breakers.

Ronaldo's penalty was not the winning goal because there was no winning goal in the game.

Good of him to step up and finish the shoot out however if you ask me it was also quiet self indulgent of him just like in the Euros the last time where he decided to take one of the later penalties against Spain but because his team mates missed he didn't get a chance to take one.

Your best penalty takes should be taking the first few penalties and I assume Ronaldo is Real Madrids best penalty taker seeing as he takes them throughout the year in normal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Officially games that are drawn after extra time are counted as draws.Penalty shootouts are just tie breakers.

Ronaldo's penalty was not the winning goal because there was no winning goal in the game.

Good of him to step up and finish the shoot out however if you ask me it was also quiet self indulgent of him just like in the Euros the last time where he decided to take one of the later penalties against Spain but because his team mates missed he didn't get a chance to take one.

Your best penalty takes should be taking the first few penalties and I assume Ronaldo is Real Madrids best penalty taker seeing as he takes them throughout the year in normal time.
    I think as a coach I'd want the guys with nerves of steel taking the first and last penalities. You don't want somebody who isn't a normal penalty taker trying to keep you in it with the last kick of the five.

I don't think there is anything self-indulgent about it, just common sense and a good decision by whoever make it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement