Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final | Atlético V Real KO 7.45 - Mod Waning in OP - stay on topic

1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think as a coach I'd want the guys with nerves of steel taking the first and last penalities. You don't want somebody who isn't a normal penalty taker trying to keep you in it with the last kick of the five.

I don't think there is anything self-indulgent about it, just common sense and a good decision by whoever make it.

I understand your point but I disagree.

It backfired badly on Portugal in 2012.

In my opinion your best penalty takers should take them in order and hopefully you won't need to score the 5th penalty.You don't want someone who isn't a great penalty taker taking one of the early ones and leaving you in a hole early on.

You miss a penalty early in the shoot out and it increases the pressure on each subsequent taker so make sure none are missed early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Still annoyed about the play acting by Pepe. An embarrassment to the sport and should be punished for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dempsey wrote: »
    Still annoyed about the play acting by Pepe. An embarrassment to the sport and should be punished for it

Something we can all agree on, its absolutely pathetic. Of all the odious characters in football today this guy is in a league of his own. I'd even call him a horrible human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

They say Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is not a big game player, yet he scores the winning goal in a champions league final.

Alan Kennedy did it twice and by his own admission he was s*ite, so not sure that proves anything.

What really worries me about this thread is that some of the (hopefully fishing) comments are so bad, I'm starting to think AIG is the unblinkered one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I'm glad too see that there's people who see the World Club Cup as a major honour,the people who just dismiss it only do so as there not likely too ever see there side in the tournament.

Let's see first how 'major' a tournament AIG considers it later in the year, if Madrid win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Officially games that are drawn after extra time are counted as draws.Penalty shootouts are just tie breakers.

Ronaldo's penalty was not the winning goal because there was no winning goal in the game.

Good of him to step up and finish the shoot out however if you ask me it was also quiet self indulgent of him just like in the Euros the last time where he decided to take one of the later penalties against Spain but because his team mates missed he didn't get a chance to take one.

Your best penalty takes should be taking the first few penalties and I assume Ronaldo is Real Madrids best penalty taker seeing as he takes them throughout the year in normal time.

I disagree, I dont see why you shouldnt have your best go 5th, I know Id want Ronaldo on a penalty to win rather than Vasquez

Then the likes of Pepe, Busquets, Alves and Alba would never play a game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

astonaidan wrote: »

See that there ladies and gentlemen, that's what you call proper bait, not too obvious but the intention is clear, a far better effort than some of those last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like Real give 2 ****s what you think now.

• Advertisement

I disagree, I dont see why you shouldnt have your best go 5th, I know Id want Ronaldo on a penalty to win rather than Vasquez

Because if you have Vasquez taking the third one and he misses you might not get as far as the 5th penalty.

Portugal took that chance in 2012 and it backfired badly and it's the perfect argument against that type of thinking.

Because if you have Vasquez taking the third one and he misses you might not get as far as the 5th penalty.

Portugal took that chance in 2012 and it backfired badly and it's the perfect argument against that type of thinking.

I know what your saying, I always took the 3rd myself, I would say its very uncommon for the best ones to go first though.

You are talking ****e. Break your keyboard and do the world a favour

You are talking ****e. Break your keyboard and do the world a favour

You cant really have a opinion since you clearly dont watch football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Dempsey wrote:

Maybe I'm alone in my thoughts, but I was more annoyed at Clattenberg having seen it, but preferring to play up for the cameras shaking his head than actuality doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I think some of the people who are saying last nights game was useless would only be convinced a game was good was if it finished 3-2 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The game was about as good as the tournament overall which was had quite low standards for the majority of it. Didn't think Atletico played that well (in comparison to the previous rounds they were awful for long stretches) but could still have easily won it, Ronaldo wasn't fully fit but did about as much as Bale or Benzema. It just wasn't a fantastic game technically or tactically.
    If Simeone walks away I hope he goes for the Argentina job.

You cant really have a opinion since you clearly dont watch football

I play more football than i watch. Tell me more!

I play more football than i watch. Tell me more!

Eh..................maybe youre also not very good at football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's not Pepé's fault.

Yes, he acts the díck. Yes, he's everything that's wrong with the modern footballer. But don't blame him.

The rules, the way they're employed, and the cowardice of officials, mean that it's well worth their while to fake it and try get someone sent off. You never get booked for it, nothing retrospective ever happens, and the worst thing that can happen is you look like a fool on worldwide TV. The best thing that can happen is you fool the ref and get a player sent off. Well worth the risk.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's not Pepé's fault.

Yes, he acts the díck. Yes, he's everything that's wrong with the modern footballer. But don't blame him.

The rules, the way they're employed, and the cowardice of officials, mean that it's well worth their while to fake it and try get someone sent off. You never get booked for it, nothing retrospective ever happens, and the worst thing that can happen is you look like a fool on worldwide TV. The best thing that can happen is you fool the ref and get a player sent off. Well worth the risk.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Agree with a lot of that.

I dislike Pepe's antics, but agree he is only a symptom of the problem. He is probably not "bad to the bone", but simply a player who dabbles in the dark stuff very often and very publicly. The simple fact is that many players at many clubs engage in that nonsense far too frequently, and until the authorities issue a direction to refs or look at incidents retrospectively and sanction players, it will not improve. Tut tutting will not drive it out. For me the biggest annoyance last night was the ref seeing it and giving a disapproving look. I mean Jesus, you're the ref, use your cards if you think it was that wrong, spare us the rolling eyes and drama and playing to the gallery and just do your job.

• Advertisement

Agree with a lot of that.

I dislike Pepe's antics, but agree he is only a symptom of the problem. He is probably not "bad to the bone", but simply a player who dabbles in the dark stuff very often and very publicly. The simple fact is that many players at many clubs engage in that nonsense far too frequently, and until the authorities issue a direction to refs or look at incidents retrospectively and sanction players, it will not improve. Tut tutting will not drive it out. For me the biggest annoyance last night was the ref seeing it and giving a disapproving look. I mean Jesus, you're the ref, use your cards if you think it was that wrong, spare us the rolling eyes and drama and playing to the gallery and just do your job.

Clearly that us beyond Clattenburg though.

He seems to want to be the star of the show himself most of the time.He has probably one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

Clearly that us beyond Clattenburg though.

He seems to want to be the star of the show himself most of the time.He has probably one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

I'll freely admit the ref thing goes over my head. I'm a product of an age when no one really knew or cared about them as personalities till Collina came along, except for Beckenbauer's "you are an Englishman" line to Jack Taylor. So up to recently the name Clattenburg meant little to me. But in the last few weeks he has been involved in some clangers where he has taken centre stage and seems to enjoy it. That's all wrong. Go back to doing your job and being unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The fact that referees and the authorities are too lenient on cheats does not at all mean that Pepe isn't morally bankrupt for the actions he takes on the field.

Integrity is not dependent on whether you can get away with something or not.

The fact that referees and the authorities are too lenient on cheats does not at all mean that Pepe isn't morally bankrupt for the actions he takes on the field.

It's great having integrity in sport as long as you can rely 100% that every other player in the game will have the same high level of integrity of course that doesn't happen and therefore you are somewhat doing yourself and your team harm if you are overly sporting because the opposition may not be so kind.So I completely understand any player who may be slightly underhanded in their actions on the field.

It's a fairly trivial thing without proper real life consequences so I wouldn't expect players to have real life morals when on the field.

I doubt Pepe is anywhere close to being the dickhead in reality that he is on the field.

Eh..................maybe youre also not very good at football

Obviously not if you consider that the mark of a champion you fcuking bellend.

Least i played the sport and not be a wikipedia champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Do you even play bro? *Cringe*

It is a valid point...and I am loath to be seen as defending Pepe.

It's not a defence, it's only mitigation...but so many of them are at it. It's such a shame because you think it really wouldn't take a huge amount of imagination to address it, and it detracts so much from the game as well as giving those who don't like football so much ammo...think of all the GAA or rugby fans who refer to players rolling around feigning injury. All it would take is a stronger line to refs, a willingness to impose sanctions retrospectively and really promote the "bringing the game into disrepute" laws that already exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's great having integrity in sport as long as you can rely 100% that every other player in the game will have the same high level of integrity of course that doesn't happen and therefore you are somewhat doing yourself and your team harm if you are overly sporting because the opposition may not be so kind.So I completely understand any player who may be slightly underhanded in their actions on the field.

It's a fairly trivial thing without proper real life consequences so I wouldn't expect players to have real life morals when on the field.
    But there are literally tens of thousands of players who in actual fact would not roll around on the floor like a toddler holding their face despite not being touched, we see dozens upon dozens of games where this doesn't happen because the fact is that most footballers do have some dignity and would not lower themselves to cheat in that fashion.

We only see these examples when those without any dignity or integrity are involved, and when it keeps happening from those same players their actions should not be excused in any way.
    I doubt Pepe is anywhere close to being the dickhead in reality that he is on the field.
    "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Obviously not if you consider that the mark of a champion you fcuking bellend.

Least i played the sport and not be a wikipedia champion.

Em..........ok I dont think I can argue with that fact.
    So to summarize you played football, you werent very good and you know nothing about football in general and Im a wikipedia champion without having once mentioned it maybe ever on boards :confused:
    Eh well played sir.....I guess

Advertisement