Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demolish and rebuild kitchen/shower extension to terraced house

Options
  • 28-05-2016 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I've bought a Victorian 2-up, 2-down terrace house in Dublin, with a single-storey extension into the back yard containing a kitchen and shower-room/toilet.

A building survey report confirms what I knew - that the extension is single-block, without foundations and the flat roof needs to be replaced. The surveyor suggests that the easiest thing is to simply demolish the extension and rebuild it in a more modern layout.

I've a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to engage an architect/engineer to design the new layout to my preference (eg a bathroom rather than a shower-room etc) and then get builders to quote, or could a builder do something relatively straight-forward like this himself?

2. Am I mad to consider a two-storey extension? Are there planning implications?

3. How long is the demolition, rebuilding and installation of a new kitchen and bathroom likely to take, and will the builder sub-contract all those aspects himself?

Any other hints, tips and suggestions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Yes
    2. Arch/eng will advise
    3. Arch/eng will advise on timeframe. Builder should do what the builder is asked to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Victorian
    Are there any listed/protected building issues here? Don't know, just asking.

Whatever you do you should consider planning so as all your ducks are in a row

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I'm not an expert here but I think that planning will not apply as the existing extension (and the extension which is due to replace it) are below the minimum size.

Scrolling through the Dublin city council planning applications website, I don't see any applications for similar extensions on neighbouring houses and streets.

However, i assume this is something which the structural engineer will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'm not an expert here but I think that planning will not apply as the existing extension (and the extension which is due to replace it) are below the minimum size.

Scrolling through the Dublin city council planning applications website, I don't see any applications for similar extensions on neighbouring houses and streets.

However, i assume this is something which the structural engineer will advise.

Understood re the prime facia point of there being no need for planning but you will need reg compliant paperwork, and it is Victorian....

I don't know, am just alerting you to the fact that it is an issue I have come across

Re the structural engineer point, I am one and, like a lot of my colleagues, I don't do the planning/listed/protected structures stuff so just check before you engage.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

A quick google throws up a structural engineer with an address in the same neighbourhood so I'll try him first.

Advertisement