Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gas do I need for my bbq?

Options
  • 28-05-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

It says LP gas in the instruction manual. The staff in woodies confused me with yellow and grey bottles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yellow canisters are generally butane, grey are propane. My BBQ can use both as long as I use the correct regulator. Maybe the staff in Woodies were thinking along these lines?

If you are confused - contact the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It says LP gas in the instruction manual. The staff in woodies confused me with yellow and grey bottles.
    What type/colour is the regulator, as that is what will decide which of the two you need to use.

The instruction manual is just saying LPG instead of natural gas.
    Yellow canisters are generally butane, grey are propane. My BBQ can use both as long as I use the correct regulator. ?

If you are confused - contact the manufacturer.
    Most, if not all, can use both with the correct regulator afaik. The note in the manual would suggest as much. The regulator simply controls the flowrate to provide a uniform energy rate.

The regulators are often changed after manufacture also. To fit local gas tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

all my bbq's have used the grey bottles as standard, look at the two cylinders.
    the connector on the grey cylinders is quite a bit smaller then the yellow one which should be easy to tell when buying gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks, Mellor - I am aware of that. I mentioned the possibly reason for what the Woodies staff did as they were likely confused too. LPG is not very common here for BBQ gas.

@ OP - Check out the Calor site for the gas you need. They do home delivery AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

turns out I need Propane. The fact it said Patio gas on the bottle was confusing also as led me to think the regulator might only fit onto the patio heaters.
    Apparently Lidl were selling butane bbq at some point but in the main it's propane (according to someone who had more clue than me ).

Thanks everyone for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks, Mellor - I am aware of that. I mentioned the possibly reason for what the Woodies staff did as they were likely confused too. LPG is not very common here for BBQ gas.

@ OP - Check out the Calor site for the gas you need. They do home delivery AFAIK.

Propane and butane are both LPG; I would have thought that they were much more common than BBQs adapted for mains natural gas.

Advertisement