Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow 200

Options
  • 28-05-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm going to do the Wicklow 200 this year.I got 150 km in today. Plenty of hills and some flats up in west Wicklow, glenmalure, laragh, saly gap.
    Is 150 spin enough in the tank to be prepared or do I need like a 175 km before the event?
    Thanks
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

150k is loads. The buzz on the day will bring you along. Some members of our club hadn't done more than 100k and were set to do the 100k last year but a few of us offered a bit of encouragement and said that they could do a 100k any Sunday so why waste the opportunity to do a 200k with the crowds and atmosphere etc. They all got on fine and were delighted with themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Probably a lot more to do with what you have done before today (or the day itself).

I'll be doing the boards thing the day before. Havent been over 1000m or 135km this year and I'll be fairly confident of doing 250km and 4000m-5000m of climbing. Wont be easy but I've done a fair but of work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

You be grand, most I did before my first Wicklow was about 130

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tommymacc1

Deadly feedback. Wasn't sure. I did the 100km with young fellas I work with last year. Was amazing. But been dying to do the 200. I only started training a month ago. But flew up the miles. So I'm delighted. What would you suggest training size for the next 2 weeks, surely another 150 spin is too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

tommymacc1 wrote: »
    Deadly feedback. Wasn't sure. I did the 100km with young fellas I work with last year. Was amazing. But been dying to do the 200. I only started training a month ago. But flew up the miles. So I'm delighted. What would you suggest training size for the next 2 weeks, surely another 150 spin is too much?

No not at all another long spin will really sort you out both mentally and physically for the big day. Being confident about comfortably covering the distance of 200k will only add to the enjoyment of the day. Preparing for long distance cycling events doesn't require this tapering lark folk harp on about . . . just ride your bike . . It'll be grand. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What kind of times are the average joe expecting? 25 Kmh? Plus or minus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ted1 wrote: »
    What kind of times are the average joe expecting? 25 Kmh? Plus or minus

This sub-average joe takes about 10 hours all in on a good day, 11 if its not so good, riding mostly solo. A lot depends on the weather, and things will be faster if you get in with a group you're comfortable with. You see a lot of times posted here of ~8 hours rolling, but they're fitter boys and girls than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First Wicklow 200 this year (first ride approaching that length in fact). I've been consistently doing 100's most weekends this year, up to the occasional 115-120 - free time rather than legs have been my enemy.

I've a window to put in a decent midweek spin this week - so what's the thinking? Flatter and longer to get extra distance in the legs or a hilly hundred? Probably still going to be an either or situation due to time commitments!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've a window to put in a decent midweek spin this week - so what's the thinking? Flatter and longer to get extra distance in the legs or a hilly hundred? Probably still going to be an either or situation due to time commitments!

I'd just get as many hours in the saddle as your time commitments allow and look to enjoy the spin myself. Long spin at a relaxed pace, if there's some hills in there too, all good.

smacl wrote: »
    I'd just get as many hours in the saddle as your time commitments allow and look to enjoy the spin myself. Long spin at a relaxed pace, if there's some hills in there too, all good.
    I don't really have much choice when it comes to "some hills" where I live fortunately/ unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'd go with the shorter, but more climbing option.

It's really about time on the bike rather than actual distance. So if you can do 150k on the flat in the same time as 100k in the hills then the time effect is the same. Basically your ass needs to get used to being stuck on the saddle for hours on end, you need to feel comfortable on the bike for that long. I would also advise at least one long cycle using the clothes/bike/shoes etc you intend to use on the day. The event is hard enough without finding half-way through that the base layer/shorts or whatever cause chaffing!

Go with the climbing option as that what is involved in W200. You need to be confident in both your ability to sustain your effort on a climb and also to be able to handle yourself with confidence on the descents.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You need to be confident in both your ability to sustain your effort on a climb and also to be able to handle yourself with confidence on the descents.

+1 on the descents. Did the Slieve Maan - Shay Elliot section a couple of weeks ago and the last couple of hundred metres of the Shay Elliot deserves a bit of caution. Dark, quite steep and lots of potholes coming up to the T-junction. First half is fine, but once you lose clear lines of sight worth taking it cautiously. Wicklow gap descent is a joy, with no hidden nasties unless there's a strong side wind.

The hills in general I'd know - I'd regularly do the Shay, and have done most of the others (except the Long Hill actually, I live south of it, and always tend to head south, so despite driving it most weekdays for years I've never done it on a bike!).

It's the distance/ time that's the big unknown for me really.

I'd definitely echo that on the Shay descent - a few holes before it, but after the sharp right it's a bit of a bone shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The hills in general I'd know - I'd regularly do the Shay, and have done most of the others (except the Long Hill actually, I live south of it, and always tend to head south, so despite driving it most weekdays for years I've never done it on a bike!)..
    Despite its name, the Long Hill is not that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Does anyone know if you are registered for the 100km can you step up to the 200km on the day?

Does anyone know if you are registered for the 100km can you step up to the 200km on the day?

Yes, you don't have to decide until the route splits at Laragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

So you dont need to tell them at registration? Just get on the bike and follow the route you want? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got my pack today.
    **** just got Real.

Does the number go on the jersey or bike? I'm gueesing jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Pin it to the back of your jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

lissard wrote: »
    Pin it to the back of your jersey.

Seems to be a new type, I think you "stick" it to something, preferably a jersey... I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Seems to be a new type, I think you "stick" it to something, preferably a jersey... I'd imagine.

theres a lovely smell off it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I thought that too but the backing seems very attached...

I thought that was just dropping down? I'd mention it at registration anyway, even just as a courtesy.

I thought that was just dropping down? I'd mention it at registration anyway, even just as a courtesy.

From the booklet in the entry pack 'Regardless of which route you marked on your entry form, you may ride the 200k or 100k route'. Personally, I wouldn't do the 200k unless I'd done a similar distance before, or got up to a least a hilly >120k in training at some point.

I thought that too but the backing seems very attached...

Same. Seems a good 20 grams heavier than last years model with no noticeable performance gains. Maybe more aero? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Same. Seems a good 20 grams heavier than last years model with no noticeable performance gains. Maybe more aero? ;)

That probably depends on how you attach it. Leave the top open/unsealed, and you have a very sturdy parachute on the back. Angle the bottom out a bit and you've got a bit of increased downforce. It's probably worth a visit to a wind tunnel first to suss it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

For anyone riding the W200 for the first time its useful to remember a few tips. The most important I feel is to " ride it at your own pace " or marginally slower than you feel you can . Do not get sucked into joining groups that are travelling above your pace. Remember that if a group passes you then they are likely to be travelling faster than you can handle. A better option if you want company is to make an effort to catch a group that are ahead and sit in with them . Remember if you join a group where you are happy with the pace its good manners to take a turn at the front if you are able or the group are all taking turns. It will be appreciated. The one section where I feel its worth making an effort to stay with a bigger or faster group is from Hollywood to Baltinglass . That leg is on a wide open road and is usually into a headwind.
    Take the first half easy , don't " fly " up the Wicklow gap and youll probably fly up out of Avoca. Keep something in the tank for the last leg from Rathdrun home. Its a tough section that can catch you out if you have overdone it earlier.
    Most important enjoy the day. Its a fabulous experience and you will feel a a great sense of achievement at the finish.
    Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

For anyone else who is under the illusion that this is in two weeks time, it's not.

It is this coming weekend :(

I miscalcu'mulated.

Can anyone recall where all the water (and Gel?) stops were? Not the main stops.

There was one at the top of the Wicklow gap and one up the top of a mountain after Slieve Mann?

Were there more water fill up points?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Water stops on the Wicklow Gap, Sliamh Maan and if I remember correctly there might have been one at the top of the hill out of Avoca. There's a coffee van at the top of the Shay Elliott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Are there any public transport options available to make it to Greystones by 06.30 from Dublin with the bike? Trains wont run before 9am or so and doing the extra 50k in the dawn just doesn't sound too appealing.

Advertisement