Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow 200

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hauki wrote:
    Are there any public transport options available to make it to Greystones by 06.30 from Dublin with the bike? Trains wont run before 9am or so and doing the extra 50k in the dawn just doesn't sound too appealing.

Driving from Dublin, I passed by lads cycling down to greystones last year. Warming up I guess, the fit feckers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hauki wrote: »
    Are there any public transport options available to make it to Greystones by 06.30 from Dublin with the bike? Trains wont run before 9am or so and doing the extra 50k in the dawn just doesn't sound too appealing.

I've room for one person & bike. I'l be picking the brother up in Phibsboro around 6:30 am if you want a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Driving from Dublin, I passed by lads cycling down to greystones last year. Warming up I guess, the fit feckers...
    I go to the gym in Shoreline, went down last year to do some cardio forgetting that WW200 was on. Got talking to a guy in the carpark who had cycled from Dublin, did the 200 and was just about to hop back on his bike and go back to Dublin. I thought he was taking the pi$$ at the time, but having seen some strava rides and reading about you buggers doing Hell, it doesn't seem so bad now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Two years ago I couldn't figure out why one lad that was in our group had a mad load of lights and a big backpack, turned out it was James "seamus" Smith, he'd cycled down from Bailieborough, did the WW200 and than headed on home, part of his training for the RAI.

That's the beauty of the WW200, you never know whose company you're keeping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Eponymous wrote: »
    I go to the gym in Shoreline, went down last year to do some cardio forgetting that WW200 was on. Got talking to a guy in the carpark who had cycled from Dublin, did the 200 and was just about to hop back on his bike and go back to Dublin. I thought he was taking the pi$$ at the time, but having seen some strava rides and reading about you buggers doing Hell, it doesn't seem so bad now!

Might have been Wishbone_Ash. Last year he cycled about 30km I think to the start as a warm up and then home another 30km as a warm down.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    Might have been Wishbone_Ash. Last year he cycled about 30km I think to the start as a warm up and then home another 30km as a warm down.:D
    It was 60k to the startline and another 60k home again. One of those great days in the saddle when you just want to go on all night (but I had to show my face at home). :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/320598735
    nilhg wrote: »
    Two years ago I couldn't figure out why one lad that was in our group had a mad load of lights and a big backpack, turned out it was James "seamus" Smith, he'd cycled down from Bailieborough, did the WW200 and than headed on home, part of his training for the RAI.
    You're not too far behind the legendary Mr Smith yourself nilhg! I was looking at your Mizen to Malin in a single ride on Strava the other night - inspirational stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

Did anyone else get an email asking them to send their wicklow 200 number and card to someone else? I am going to post it tomorrow so it should arrive in time. I am wondering about my own number and card because my postman only seems to deliver letters every few days. I assume it will be fine to turn up on the day without a number and card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

You're not too far behind the legendary Mr Smith yourself nilhg! I was looking at your Mizen to Malin in a single ride on Strava the other night - inspirational stuff!

That's what happens, you go to do a nice handy WW200 and you finish up signed up to something a bit mad.

I've been watching your M2M all week and saying to myself, that's the way to do it, take the scenic route and keep civilised hours. :)

BTW we met Joe Barr on his way down en route to breaking the M2M2M non stop record, that's inspirational stuff

nilhg wrote: »
    ....I've been watching your M2M all week and saying to myself, that's the way to do it, take the scenic route and keep civilised hours. :)
    I was with a group of mixed abilities so was obliged to regroup regularly and follow the itinerary but I would have easily been capable of doing it in 3 or even 2 days. Perhaps some time in the future.
    nilhg wrote:
    ...BTW we met Joe Barr on his way down en route to breaking the M2M2M non stop record, that's inspirational stuff
    I was thinking of him regularly during the trip and still can't get my head around him doing those 1250k in 49 hours practically non stop. There was footage up on YouTube for a while but it was then removed. No arsing around when he got to Mizen, he paused for a few seconds and then straight back up the road again!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I am doing the Wicklow 100 for the first time on Sunday.

Just wondering what time do people typically start at? I dont neccessarily want to start at 7 but I would like to get into a group to do a bit of drafting and share the work for a good deal of the time

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Being slower than average when I was planning and quite cautious I set off about 6, which meant I got to the first waterstop before 10 and more importantly, before the crowds (queues).

Also meant I could tag along on groups (would fall off the back on steep climbs) as I went along.

That was for the 200 though, there were loads of small clumps leaving at that time, although it might be harder to get a group whose speed matches yours.

efwren wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I am doing the Wicklow 100 for the first time on Sunday.

Just wondering what time do people typically start at? I dont neccessarily want to start at 7 but I would like to get into a group to do a bit of drafting and share the work for a good deal of the time

Cheers
    You won't know if those around you are doing the 100 or 200 until you get to Laragh as its the same route until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

efwren wrote: »

Cheers

Riders set off anywhere between six and eight but the majority leave about seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Thanks everybody for the feedback...I'll aim to leave as close to seven as possible so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Can anyone tell me where the food stops (distance) are. The cycle goes past my Granny's front door so want to stop for a quick hi, but if its close to a food stop, I'll just have lunch with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

The food stops are in Baltinglass (~80k) and Rathdrum (~145k).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

If you don't start too early there are the powerbar lads at the top of the Wicklow Gap, then the main stop at 80km (if your doing the 200km) where you have to sign in to let them know you are doing the 200km (I forget the name of the place).

Then it's at the top of Shay elliot for another water/powerbar stop and the main feed stop (for both 100 & 200km) is in Rathdrum.

Pretty sure that's it.

There's also an unofficial stop on the top of the Wicklow Gap with snacks available to purchase.

Steven in Cycleplus posted up on Facebook that they aren't offering safety checks or a pop-up shop on the day in the hall at Shoreline this year. Doesn't say why.

Just if you were hoping to avail of either service on the day, you'll have to revise your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

DS2013 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get an email asking them to send their wicklow 200 number and card to someone else? I am going to post it tomorrow so it should arrive in time. I am wondering about my own number and card because my postman only seems to deliver letters every few days. I assume it will be fine to turn up on the day without a number and card?

I haven't gotten a single e-mail from them. Thats in contrast to other years where they'd send you an e-mail every few weeks in the lead-up to the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1bryan wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a single e-mail from them. Thats in contrast to other years where they'd send you an e-mail every few weeks in the lead-up to the event.
    Haven't done it before, but there was 1 email, with info on the jerseys. Been a some Facebook posts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eponymous wrote:
    Steven in Cycleplus posted up on Facebook that they aren't offering safety checks or a pop-up shop on the day in the hall at Shoreline this year. Doesn't say why.

Eponymous wrote:
    Just if you were hoping to avail of either service on the day, you'll have to revise your plan.

Think I saw on Facebook cycle superstore are doing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Haven't done this since 2010... Food stops improved in the last few years? Back then it was 20-30min queues or longer

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

Anyone else heading to Greystones in a campervan? Can you park up the night before at the Shoreline Leisure Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

rayquinn1 wrote: »
    Anyone else heading to Greystones in a campervan? Can you park up the night before at the Shoreline Leisure Centre?

A mate did it for 2014, don't think he'd any issues.
    There's also the Dart station car park just down the road, loads of parking but a bit more secluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Hi all,

First time entrant to the 200 here. Was wondering about clothing, and what people usually go with - am debating whether to wear the base layers under the jersey and shorts? Think I have decided against the jacket and will go for a pocket windbreaker.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Given the weather forecast (warm with a good chance or rain) I'm thinking: Jersey, base layer, shorts, gilet + armwarmers. If it looks a bit worse tomorrow evening I might pack a light summer rain jacket instead of the gilet. Did this 2 years ago in pissing rain and made the mistake of also wearing leg warmers. Took them off at the top of the Wicklow Gap and had to lug 2 completely sodden bits of clothing around for another 150k. Definitely won't be making that mistake twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ronanocon

Have they changed the pin-on numbers this year? Mine seems like it should be a sticker, but I can't get the backing off and don't want to rip it.

Edit: I'm thinking jersey, s/s base layer and arm warmers. The rain shouldn't be too bad as it'll be warm enough. If it looks heavier by Saturday I'll stow a gilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm thinking just short sleeve and shorts.

• Advertisement

bbolger wrote: »
    A mate did it for 2014, don't think he'd any issues.
    There's also the Dart station car park just down the road, loads of parking but a bit more secluded.
    The two car parks for the dart station by the south beach, and the one on the La Touche side of the station are all restricted by poles at about 8', so you'd do well to get a camper van in.

There's another car park down by the harbour which can accommodate campervans and you see them there regularly enough, despite signs to the contrary.

Actually, you'd be able to access the upper car park at Charlesland Shopping Centre too. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1211902,-6.070444,15.32z?hl=en

Advertisement