Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Think I saw on Facebook cycle superstore are doing something?
    Yep, looks that way.

Shame if it couldn't be kept local, Steven has supported the event from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

2 years ago when lashing down I wore 3/4 bib shorts, wifebeater compression top, SS top and had a gilet for the long descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronanocon wrote: »
    Have they changed the pin-on numbers this year? Mine seems like it should be a sticker, but I can't get the backing off and don't want to rip it..
    I presumed it was just a waterproofing membrane and should be pinned on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

For anyone riding the W200 for the first time its useful to remember a few tips. The most important I feel is to " ride it at your own pace " or marginally slower than you feel you can . Do not get sucked into joining groups that are travelling above your pace. Remember that if a group passes you then they are likely to be travelling faster than you can handle. A better option if you want company is to make an effort to catch a group that are ahead and sit in with them . Remember if you join a group where you are happy with the pace its good manners to take a turn at the front if you are able or the group are all taking turns. It will be appreciated. The one section where I feel its worth making an effort to stay with a bigger or faster group is from Hollywood to Baltinglass . That leg is on a wide open road and is usually into a headwind.
    Take the first half easy , don't " fly " up the Wicklow gap and youll probably fly up out of Avoca. Keep something in the tank for the last leg from Rathdrun home. Its a tough section that can catch you out if you have overdone it earlier.
    Most important enjoy the day. Its a fabulous experience and you will feel a a great sense of achievement at the finish.
    Best of luck:)

Just another thought . While the food stops have improved greatly in efficiency ofer the last few years it's important to not totally rely on them . Bring a few bars , nibbles etc in the back pocket . Also carry money and stop in at a filling station , cafe , etc for a coffee or food if you feel the tank is running low . Keep the tank full and don't over rev the engine and you will have a good day
    Enjoy ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ronanocon

Definitely agree with the above. It's c80km to the first feed zone so you need at least enough food to get you there and the food you eat early on is what will keep you going toward the end of the spin.

And take it handy on Calary and Wicklow Gap. There's no KOM points and only a lot of suffering if you go too deep too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eponymous wrote: »
    The two car parks for the dart station by the south beach, and the one on the La Touche side of the station are all restricted by poles at about 8', so you'd do well to get a camper van in.
    Barriers have been open at the beach car park by the dart station the last few times I've been in Greystones, with a couple of 'vans wild camping. Not sure what the story is with Shoreline parking (no barriers anyway, so you will get in), but didn't the briefing say there's no WW200 no parking there? Haven't done it before, so not sure where the parking is?

The harbour did have official camper spots for a while - there was even talk of making it a proper aire, but not sure whether it still does (having seen the vans parked at the other carpark).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looking like a wet one tomorrow, and a bit cooler although not much wind. Dithering between light or decent waterproofs and thinking maybe overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

smacl wrote: »
    Looking like a wet one tomorrow, and a bit cooler although not much wind. Dithering between light or decent waterproofs and thinking maybe overshoes.
    It should be dry enough till about 4
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=1910&sty=m_menu
    With a long cycle do people carry bags on there back? For food jackets etc?

Don't know, my apps are giving it as wet until after 10 for the mountains anyway. Thinking rain jacket but might drop the trusty lidl base layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Run through the timer slide at bottom shows the rain tracking across

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Accuweather says rain more likely earlier in the morning.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/wicklow/211515/hourly-weather-forecast/211515?hour=33

I'll bring a gilet and a waterproof but very light and packable (fist sized) jacket. Probably overshoes.

Question: regarding parking and sign-on, is this easy and efficient? In other words, what time to arrive into Greystones?

Question 2: where on the bloody website does is list the locations of food/water stops?

yr.no giving light rain for most of the day with temps between 12 and 18 degrees.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/County_Wicklow~2960935/hour_by_hour.html

2016 wrote: »
    Question 2: where on the bloody website does is list the locations of food/water stops?
    See under Start/Finish facilities (Baltinglass and Rathdrum)

http://www.wicklow200.ie/the-2016-event-details/

2016 wrote: »
    Accuweather says rain more likely earlier in the morning.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/wicklow/211515/hourly-weather-forecast/211515?hour=33

I'll bring a gilet and a waterproof but very light and packable (fist sized) jacket. Probably overshoes.

Question: regarding parking and sign-on, is this easy and efficient? In other words, what time to arrive into Greystones?

It's on the back of the map they gave with the registration pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

ted1 wrote: »
    It should be dry enough till about 4
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=1910&sty=m_menu
    With a long cycle do people carry bags on there back? For food jackets etc?

I hope your right about the weather.

Last year I didn't see anyone with a bag on there back doing it, just throw as much s you can into your jersey pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

The way I see it from 4/5 websites is that's it's going to be warm with showers all day. So that's what I'm working with.

My piece of advice for first timers :

Just before Slieve Mann and Glenmalure there is a tough climb that doesn't seem that bad on the maps : DO NOT think this is Slieve Mann and then get it all horribly wrong when you realise that there is still Glenmalure to go and die on your arse going up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Euro Fred wrote: »

Just before Slieve Mann and Glenmalure there is a tough climb that doesn't seem that bad on the maps : DO NOT think this is Slieve Mann and then get it all horribly wrong when you realise that there is still Glenmalure to go and die on your arse going up it.

We've all been there... Did exactly that on my first one on 2010, died going up Shay afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Safe journey to all tomorrow, check your helmets. Had to get a new one today myself.. checked mine after a spill last Saturday, a major crack on the right hand side. Anyone who doesn't use them is already soft in the head IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Euro Fred wrote: »
    The way I see it from 4/5 websites is that's it's going to be warm with showers all day. So that's what I'm working with.

I think that climb is called Ballinabarney gap . It certainly can catch out the newcomers

Ok, bigger saddle bag on, with 3 tubes, 4 gas, patches, multi tool... anything else, apart from the obvious chain breaker/ quick links (which I don't have, haven't done yet!)?

Main quandary is clothing/ footwear, and whether to go waterproof overshoes and/or waterproof socks...

• Advertisement

Leave the 4 gas at home and take a mini pump instead. 2 tubes will be enough - it's not as if you're on a long solo ride. There is mechanical support if it comes to that.

I'm wearing overshoes. I'd rather have them and not need them than the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Leave the 4 gas at home and take a mini pump instead. 2 tubes will be enough - it's not as if you're on a long solo ride. There is mechanical support if it comes to that.

I'm wearing overshoes. I'd rather have them and not need them than the opposite.

Gas is better than a minipump and easier to carry.

What's your opinion on mudguards? With the forecast is it common courtesy to use them ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also going overshoes, chances are feet are going to get wet so might as well have them warm. Light long sleeve boards top, shorts, light leg warmers, and a packable light waterproof. I'll bring a light hat and undergloves, but don't expect to need them. Most importantly, big bag of jelly snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

A few inches of old tyre is very handy to have in case of a blow out. You might never need it but its there if wanted.
    Good luck all and remember to Enjoy it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ok, bigger saddle bag on, with 3 tubes, 4 gas, patches, multi tool... anything else, apart from the obvious chain breaker/ quick links (which I don't have, haven't done yet!)?

Main quandary is clothing/ footwear, and whether to go waterproof overshoes and/or waterproof socks...

Drop every gram of extra weight you don't need.

That protective phone cover? Ditch it, your phone will be fine.

All those Keys you use daily, you just need a car key and house key, those Tesco points cards are useless.(for this spin obviously)

Ditch all unnecessary weight. And think about why you would fat feed yourself, and carry all that up a hill...

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Drop every gram of extra weight you don't need.

That protective phone cover? Ditch it, your phone will be fine.

All those Keys you use daily, you just need a car key and house key, those Tesco points cards are useless.(for this spin obviously)

Ditch all unnecessary weight. And think about why you would fat feed yourself, and carry all that up a hill...

Ugh... I put on two kilos in the last two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Just doing the 100 myself. The detailed rain forecast indicates a wet start, then drying and probably other showers later on. It should be about 13 degrees starting off, so I don't think I'll bother with overshoes. Once the sun comes out, everything will heat up so I'd be killed with feet that are too hot. The wind looks very light for most of the day until, hopefully a tailwind for the final run in nearer the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Any suggestions for legal responsible parking away from the start line? The limited designated parking might run out before I get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Are you restricted to starting at 7 or can you head once signed in, from 6 onwards

Advertisement