Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wicklow 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Are you restricted to starting at 7 or can you head once signed in, from 6 onwards

You can head off as soon as you sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Any suggestions for legal responsible parking away from the start line? The limited designated parking might run out before I get there.

Use the dart park and ride carpark which is 300 metres from sign on and behind the council buildings. Room for 100s of car there and no need to worry about the legalities of abandoning your car somewhere for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Good luck to all taking part tomorrow. Hopefully the weather behaves at least a little. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

was down there this morning, the weather was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Hopefully some hung on a while as it seems clear enough now, but my god earlier in Bray looking out the window I was glad I wasn't free to cycle it this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well, any finishers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

bazermc wrote: »
    Well, any finishers yet?

Couple on my Strava feed with super fast times.

Well done all. I was at the Laragh split point for a while this morning and the smiles and good cheer from the riders was infectious - despite the soaking they had just had.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Tough, but enjoyable! Many thanks to all those involved in organising and running the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AmboMan wrote: »
    Tough, but enjoyable! Many thanks to all those involved in organising and running the event.

Did you get your medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Wet (very wet) start. So wet the Garmin sat down - first time that has happened to me.Glad I followed Wishbone ash's advise re clothing. Marshals were all great and I mean that sincerely. A couple of spills I am aware off, hope they were O.K. Not sure if it was the heat later in the day but it felt like the toughest w200 I've ever done, far tougher than last year even though I thought I was fitter this year. One very little peeve - that sambo was definitely one of the missing weapons of mass destruction :) .
    Glad to be in a seat now that isn't moving.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I finished it in just under 9 hours. Rain, sun, rain then sun again.
    I was the guy who went up half the Wicklow gap in 10th gear and walked the steeper part as my rear gear cable snapped. I made it to baltinglass with only 10 and 20 available, then got sorted there.
    I was shot leading Rathdrum and the hills after Avoca severely broke my spirt. But all in all it was a good day

https://www.strava.com/activities/607377640

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Did you get your medal?

I did indeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Not after 12 hours on a Dublin bike he won't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

colm18 wrote: »
    Not after 12 hours on a Dublin bike he won't :p

We met him and his mate on a folding bike this morning on the N11 just before the turn up the long hill, must have been a long day for them

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

That man has some engine - nice fellow too. Think he finished in about 10 hours , he told my mate that he had only taken a 5 minute break. Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lissard wrote: »
    That man has some engine - nice fellow too. Think he finished in about 10 hours , he told my mate that he had only taken a 5 minute break. Chapeau!

Well he was paying 4 euro an hour, under pressure to get it back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Did the 100 and had a great day. Rain at the start but it had pretty much finished by the time I hit the Sugarloaf climb. Encountered one fella who had come off near Redcross and had a nasty looking rash on his arm. Still, he seemed in form to soldier on. I was getting sick of some of those inclines after Redcross because I had forgotten about them. I remembered that Avoca was a pain and I was right. Up...flat...up...down...up...flat...up...up.

Good day, beer and pizza to celebrate this evening. Now to get ready for Westportif!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

First WW200 for me. Good, tough event. I started around 7:20AM, waiting for the weather to clear, which it did until a while later.

Well organised, I signed on about 7:15AM and it took only a couple of minutes.

This was a key training session for the Marmotte on 2nd July (someone said on Boards once that if WW200 is a 4/10 for difficulty, then the Marmotte is 11/10. Bloody hell.). Big success was my bib shorts & saddle combination is now picked - no hint of discomfort. Also the nutrition aspects worked out well.

Had no idea what time to expect or aim for, but I tried to ride controlled, and kept the climbs to 85-105% of FTP to allow myself to have something left for the last hour or two. I got a good tow for the last 25k (much needed), to come in just over the 7hr mark (moving time).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Long day out. Early on was quite pleased at going for long sleeved top a light waterproofs and felt great up and down the Wicklow gap in the rain and mist as far as Baltinglass, making reasonable time for me. Then things started to go pear shaped as I got a puncture that was a bugger to fix with a thorn broken in the tyre, eventually extracted with my teeth. Also managed to kneel on a bee in the repair process and wasted half an hour on what should have been a 5-10 minute job. Slieve maan was not good with the foot going down a couple of times in the hot sun, but good natter with unknown soldier up top. Shay Elliot was only marginally better than SM, and gobshíte that I am, I managed to leave my helmet at the top only realising why I was enjoying the wind whistling through my hair at the bottom. Rathdrum back to Greystones was slow but comfortable, and my usual snail like pace left me 11hr20 on the road with 10hr15 rolling. Caught up with unknown soldier again at the finish, who'd been doing some crazy speeds on a face full of gels. A good day out, and big thanks to the marshalls who did an excellent job. Water was also very well handled, with plenty of big bottles around meaning no queuing for it.
    388681.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

smacl - think you passed me on road to baltinglass, you were in a group with 3 others? Some kind of Gilet over that boards jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Some day as always, found the checkin slow at 7am, must have taken 15 mins, but that's a minor complaint tbf. Weather was miserable for the first 50-60km. Very poor visibility descending Wicklow Gap. Noticeably fewer people out today, compared the last few years, and didn't see any big trains at all.

Climbed well and bridged to a few groups to get some help, did a lot of solo efforts, more than planned. Got to both food stops early so no bother at all with queues.

SM & SE were very warm but a refreshing change. Solo'd home in TT mode for the last 30km to try and hit my target, hitting the 200km in 6:59 rolling so was chuffed.

Nice to see they've done away with the cold manky pasta at the end, the soup & roll was amazing. Marshals were great, saw the aftermath of a few spills, hope all are ok this evening.

Roll on next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

What was with all the punctures? There seemed like there was someone at the roadside every couple of miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

smacl wrote: »
    388681.JPG

Lovely meeting you today, and the other boards.ie called Philip?

I'm not very photogenic! :) We defo should have got yer one into the photo :D

If any admins recognize me, I'm bollixed :D

Like really, bollixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Want to add my voice to those praising the organisation, marshalling etc: having frequent water points was especially appreciated. A shout out to the guy who came off just before Hollywood - looked unpleasant, happened just before I got to the scene. Other than that a very enjoyable day. First double century in around 8.20 rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cajonlardo wrote: »
    .. but it felt like the toughest w200 I've ever done, far tougher than last year .....
    I found it much tougher than last year. Couldn't really get the legs going and my times on the climbs are a couple of minutes down. Averaged 26km/h last year but could only manage 23.9km/h today.

I passed that chap on the Dublin bike going up Calary. Was also passed by a full TT bike on Slieve Mann and spotted Eve McCrystal (?) and her cycling partner on their tandem at Rathdrum.

Didn't spot a single Boards.ie jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I found it much tougher than last year. Couldn't really get the legs going and my times on the climbs are a couple of minutes down. Averaged 26km/h last year but could only manage 23.9km/h today.

I passed that chap on the Dublin bike going up Calary. Was also passed by a full TT bike on Slieve Mann and spotted Eve McCrystal (?) and her cycling partner on their tandem at Rathdrum.

Didn't spot a single Boards.ie jersey.

I spotted Bryan McCrsytal riding with Eve and her Tandem partner while I was standing in Rathdrum, and also saw one Boardsie with a magnificent beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I completed the Wicklow 200. Where was the water on Slieve Maan? It was hot, a very tough climb and lots of people asked an ambulance if they had water. They didn't.

From the FAQ..

There were no sandwiches at the last checkpoint.

Q What food and drink will be available along the route?
    A At each checkpoint each rider will get,Tea, coffee and a Sandwich. Water will also be available. There will also be water point the top of Slieve Maan.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mad Benny wrote: »
    I completed the Wicklow 200.

Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm going to have to confess to putting the foot down on Shay Elliott.

I was suffering along side a lass who mentioned she hadn't eaten anything in awhile and got all the food stops wrong.

I offered her a couple of Tor gels and and a bar, and while I was digging them out of my back pockets, she stopped to get them.

What could I do? I had to stop! She was over the moon though, which was cool.

Today was a great and tough day out on the bike.

it will probably take me two days to come down from the caffeine gels I consumed in the last 50 km.

Well done all!

Advertisement